More wight loss questions...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Aug 10, 2004.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Sigh... I just can't seem to loose any weight. The only time I go down is when I more or less stop eating when I'm sick. Other than that all I seem to do is gain gain gain.

Just got on the scale, figuring my recent diet week down the shore would have lsot me 6 pounds, instead, I seem to have put on five pounds...

Here's my daily schedule down the shore. Wake up at 10 AM. Eat Lunch at 12 PM. Take a 5 mile walk along the boardwalk. Around 2 or three have some snacks like bagels or chips. skip dinner at 6, and have some cereal or rice instead. Go to sleep at 11 PM. Schedule is pretty much the same here, except it's hillless down the shore so I can get in more bike riding.

IS there anything I'm doing wrong above? The only thing that's changed is I'm taking a weight loss suppliment called Xenedran, that the lady at the GNC store highly recomended. Maby if I got up and exercised at 6 AM, and started drinking more water I might see more difference?

It's depressing everytime I get on the scale and see no difference..

THanks

2. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

How are you eating your bagels? Skip the chips. Waking up at 6am isn't the answer because the earlier you wake up, the sooner you eat unless you can work around that and really exercise and burn more than you take in during those extra hours you're up.

You didn't say what you eat for lunch and dinner.

Take that longer walk at the boardwalk. Make it more than 5mi. Walk faster! All this will give you more time to take my advice from the other thread with the girls [​IMG].

3. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit

A lot of things could use some improvement here, but don't be discouraged. www.johnstonefitness.com is a great website that contains lots of valuable information for weightloss. For starters, I'd suggest getting up earlier, eat breakfast, quit eating chips, bagels, and cereal. Or at least, limit your intake. What is it that you have for lunch? Don't skip meals, it can kill your metabolism. It's much better to have consistent, small meals. It'd also be good to get some higher intensity cardio exercises in there, give your body a challenge. Also, add some protein to your diet. Water's very good.

4. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Up your protein and veggies and limit the carbs to whole grains only.

5. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    Neil,

Over the past year, I've dropped roughly 60 pounds. I'll give you some tips that helped me.

1. Eat three solid meals a day: breakfast, lunch and dinner. In each meal, try and cut out greasy and fried foods. To start off, look at the nutritional value of things you're eating. Fat in moderation is ok, but stay far away from saturdated fat.

2. If you feel you need to snack, try and stick to fruit and vegatables. Also, try not to snack late at night when you're getting tired.

3. Get a good amount of sleep.

4. Find excersise where you can: take the stairs instead of an elevator. Park far away at a parking lot. Workout while watching tv and movies.

5. Don't get discouraged, it can be a long process. If you cheat on your diet one day, don't give up, go back to it the next day.

If you want a more detailed account of what I do, feel free to PM me. Good luck!

6. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Sorry my first reply was really short. I was in the middle of something and couldn't give an adequate response.

Weight loss can be a very difficult road, especially for those of us that seem to gain weight no matter what we do. I'm one of these people and eating "regular" like everyone else only causes the weight to pile on. I tried not eating much but what ends up happening is I end up consuming a lot of carbs and sugar because it's "low fat". A lot of us with "slow metabolisms" end up having undiagnosed insulin problems and those problems cause us to gain instead of lose.

That's why a lot of these "lower carb" diets work for a lot of folks. You don't have to do the whole Atkins thing if you don't want, but watching the carbs and eliminating anything sugary can really help. Protein fills you up and veggies provide the necessary fiber and nutrients. Neither of these really affect your insulin so it doesn't have a chance to create fat. The carbs do, however, whole grain is much better for you. So any carbs you do it, just make sure it's whole grain and try to limit how much you eat at any one sitting. Your body, at rest, only uses about 25g of carbs every two hours. If you consume more than that and don't have any physical activity to burn it off, it ends up becoming fat. So knowing this, you can adjust your consumption in order to prevent consuming more than your body requires.

First and foremost, it might be interesting and most helpful to find out exactly what it is you currently eat. It can be a real eye-opener. I suggest heading over to www.fitday.com and signing up (its free). Then track what you eat for a few days. You don't have to make any dietary changes right now, but just see where you are currently. It will tell you everything about the food you eat if you use it correctly. From there, you can better guage where you need to make the most changes. And even then, go slow and stick to something that's livable in the long term.

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Some quick observations:

You're getting 11 hours of sleep each night. While I'm a little jealous, I also know that long sleeping patterns can be a sign of depression. Putting weight loss to the side, at first glance I'd wonder if you were doing ok emotionally.

Your diet, in your brief description, is all bread. You may lose weight but it doesn't sound healthy. Eat some vegetables, have some fruit, enjoy a burger at lunch [​IMG]

8. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

Definetly loose the chips.

Eat 5 smaller meals a day evenly spaced.

Exercise in the morning on an empty stomach so the body has to get it's energy from stored fat and not what you just ate.

Build some muscle. It will give you a higher resting metobolic rate.

Search Body For Life or pick up the book.

Check out this article. http://magazines.ivillage.com/redboo...0.html?par=ibs|rb|spdmet?ontheside=top

9. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

You're getting 11 hours of sleep each night. While I'm a little jealous, I also know that long sleeping patterns can be a sign of depression. Putting weight loss to the side, at first glance I'd wonder if you were doing ok emotionally.>>>

Nope, I'm doing fine. But I run a computer buisness, and this means that I don't have to get up early if I don't need to.And when you don't have to travel, it makes for a boring day, so I tend to sleep longer. For some reason, I tend to get up earlier down the shore at around 8AM, and go to sleep around 11, but I don't do that here in Bergen County.. Dunno why. Maby because there's just more to see and do down there..

>>Your diet, in your brief description, is all bread. You may lose weight but it doesn't sound healthy. Eat some vegetables, have some fruit, enjoy a burger at lunch >>

The only time I eat burgers, is when I go out to a resteraunt for lunch. There's a place called Falsview up here that makes great grilled burgers that I have in place of McDonalds or Burger King... The other regular lunch meal is pasta. Usually Ziti, Fuzili or Ravioli.

10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Neil,
    Glad you're doing all right. At first, you sounded like a prison inmate (11 hours sleep and living on bread and water [​IMG] )

I didn't mean burgers specifically, so much as getting some protein. Fish, chicken, beef, nuts, peanut butter, eggs, milk, all good. I don't have a great diet myself, but I'd expect that living on starches isn't best for your health or energy level [​IMG]

11. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Neil, I have to agree with Leilas post. I too had the hardest time losing weight. I tried the low-fat method, but I found I couldn't live with it. I was ALWAYS hungry, the salads and low fat stuff just didn't stick with me.

I looked into the low carb diet. Actually, I believe it was Leila who responded to one of my threads about low blood sugar headaches that I would always get. I would constantly feel hungry and never realized that it was because of all the sugar/carbs that I was eating. After doing a lot of research, I decided to go the low-carb route.

After doing a few low-carb type things, I find that the low blood sugar headaches have virtually vanished. I've lost 35 pounds and I am no longer hungry all the time.

As Leila suggests, you don't need to do Atkins, just follow the guidelines and rules of it. Eat high protein snacks and you won't be as hungry as you used to be. Also, the high protein will mean there are less sugars, which will actually curb your craving for sugar and fill you up more.

A friend of mine has been helping me out. She said not to go full force into the low-carb route. Just try a little bit each week. First, take off half the bun when you eat a burger or sandwhich. Second, try whole wheat pasta instead of the regular kind. Dreamfields (in the black box) makes an AWESOME low carb pasta that tastes just like the regular kind.

Also, read labels. Remember (as was mentioned) low-fat almost always means high in sugar. It's not worth getting rid of the fat if you're piling up on the sugar (which will turn to fat). Good stuff. I did the old peanut jar (or bag of almonds) on my desk as a snack instead of looking for donuts or candy bars.

12. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I've been weightlifting and running the treadmill. I see myself bulking up, getting much stronger (I can now bench more than 135 lbs finally ).

But dammnit all to hell, I still can't lose my gut. I do 45 decline situps everyday, and the only difference I feel is that my ab area is much, much firmer. But I still have a gut.

How do you get rid of it?

13. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

More/better cardio.

Situps everyday are near useless. 2-3 times a week is better. Your abs, like every muscle, need rest. In any case, situps are not the answer.

--
    H

14. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit

Tis true. Unfortunately nice abs are usually more about low body fat percentage than anything else, and that means that ya gotta do the cardio.

15. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I'm not 100% sure on what exactly a "decline situp" is, but if its anything like a standard crunch or the bicycle crunch your problem seems to be with low reps. Multiply your 45/daily by ten or so and your on the right track. Wanna get on the cover of Men's Health? go for 1000+/daily

No, those are the serious numbers for pro-ab people. Britney Speares is also in the 1000/day club, you dont wanna get shown-up by britney do you? [​IMG]

16. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

oh yeah

TAE-BO! a few weeks and you'll well on your way to kicking ass and taking lunch money. [​IMG]

17. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

A decline situp is where the bench you sit on is elevated at a degree. You're basically hanging by your feet, and you have to situp. I've been using a medicine ball lately, and I work out my abs great, but damn if I'm not tired by the end.

It seems like I work really hard with weightlifting but come treadmill time I'm tired after a 1 1/2 mile run. As a matter of fact, I've always had runner's cramps for as long as I can remember. And chest pains have happened recently, but I want to keep going, and I have to stop after a while. Is there a good way to get rid of it?

18. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    You've got strength, but not endurance. You need to work on aerobic conditioning -- that is, run more to improve your running. I don't think weights will help much with aerobic conditioning and endurance.

19. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

I know you meant to say CAN'T.

If running is a problem try biking. Running is better but I always had problems with my knees so I bike a lot.

Do the cardio before lifting. As I said before do it in the morning on an empty stomach so the body has to use stored fat as an energy source. Don't eat for an hour after working out and get plenty of water.

20. David Devaux

David Devaux Agent

Do you realize that Bagels are just as bad, if not worse, for you than Donuts, stop eating them. And don't replace them with muffins, they are just as bad. Make yourself a couple scrambled eggs and have them with a container of yogurt or some cottage cheese for breakfast, and eat breakfast when you wake up to jump start you metabolism.
    Pasta too is gonna keep you heavy. You eat waaaayyy to many carbs. Eat a lot of chicken, lean meats, fruits, veggies. And for God's sake give up the chips.
    And don't skip dinner, have a small dinner of chicken and a bowl of rice, not a bowl of cereal.
    The worst thing to do while trying to loose weight is to actually diet. When you cut you caloric intake drastically, your body goes into famine mode and slows down it's metabolism. This is an ancient survival technique for getting through drought and famine. Your body tries to make it's fat reserves last as long as possible so it stops burning calories as quick. Eat 5-6 times per day but make it healthy so your body can burn through it quickly. Complex carbs take forever to burn, fat and protein are metabolized much faster. You would be infinitely better off eating a steak every day as opposed to pasta and rice, though that is not something I would recommend either.
    How do you ever expect to lose weight eating that stuff? Oh yeah, instead of sleeping 11 hours, try eight and spend a few hours in the Gym working on muscle development. Muscle alone burns calories and helps you loose fat.

Oh yeah, get rid of the scale. Weight means nothing, it's body fat that makes a difference. Since muscle weighs more than fat, you may see your body weight rise even though you are burning fat. This can discourage you and make you feel that you have not acomplished anything, when in fact you have replaced the fat with muscle.

You are also putting weigh too much pressure on yourself. To expect to loose 6 lbs in a week is way to much. Try setting a goal of 1-2 lb's a week. In six months that is 25-50 lbs, and you'll be more likely to keep it off.

For situps, you don't need more reps, you need weight resistance. Place a 10-20 lb weight across your chest and do 4 sets of 10 situps, take 6 seconds to finish each rep. Three seconds up and three seconds down. Also wait 1 second in between each rep so you don't use momentum to help you cheat.