What's new

More WB classics announced for August. (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Disappointed in the Freaks cover art, but I expected it. I was hoping Warner might buck the prudish times we live in, but I guess there's just no place for a DVD that asks Can A Full Grown Woman Truly Love A Midget?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I like the Freaks cover art.

The Village/Children cover is um, a little cheesy.

BarryRR

Agent
The FREAKS cover is wonderful--obviously using original 1932 graphics. I like it when cover design is true to the period the film was released in. The "DAMNED" art looks very much like '60s poster art. THE BAD SEED looks somehow new, but looks okay to me.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I just could not resist, so I watched my LD of "The Bad Seed" again. I noticed on my Yamaha AV Receiver that PCM audio automatically played. I'm curious as to the kind of Audio tracks that the DVD will have.

"I'm SMART and I'm MEAN" - LeRoy

tim cat

Agent
1960's Village Of The Damned is the one horror flick that really scared the s**t out of me back when I was a little kid. I spent many sleepless nights woundering if those kids with the big eyes would show up to get me. I've waited so long for this film to come out on DVD. August 10th is going to take forever to get here.

BarryRR

Agent
D'oh! Thanks, Thomas T. The original BAD SEED poster to me, design wise, looks a few years ahead of its time, more '62 than '56. Now I know better. :D

P.S. If you want to see another great performance by a young actress as a really rotten kid, watch Bonita Granville in THESE THREE (1936). A great companion piece to BAD SEED. Not on DVD yet, I don't think.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

doesn't MGM own the rights to TT now? along with the other Sam Goldwyn titles like Wuthering Heights and others?

this is indeed a great film, and i would to see it as well.

as far as the cover art- i really like the Bad Seed one.
it looks vintage.

looks like keepcases are finally the wave of the future :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I myself wrote:

I guess I'll just answer my own inquiry. .......

Ratio = 1.33:1.

But what is the "Sub" in there for? What's that stand for? (Glad they didn't reverse the "Sub" and "Std". Would have looked like "Sub-Standard". And who needs
that?!) :)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I could not find any info at Amazon about aspect ratio. IMDB does not have any info either. My LD is 1.33:1.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For those wavering on purchasing some of these titles blindly, the following link will be of interest to you if you receive the Turner Classic Movies channel.

TCM July Schedule

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Last night I had a movie marathon and watched the new DVDs of "The Bad Seed", "Freaks", Dead Ringer", and "Village of the Damned". The transfers on the films are excellent. Warner Bros did an outstanding job. Great original poster art !
"Freaks" of course shows its age but I have never seen it look this good ever. The extras are cool with a short on the three alternate endings of the film and a very interesting documentary "Freaks: Sideshow" on the history and making of the film. Audio commentary by Davis Skal which was fascinating.
"Bad Seed" is full frame but it looks correct even though it was filmed in 1956. It is sharp and detailed. There is a conversation with Patty McCormick thats a lot of fun (She looks great too!). She also provides the audio commentary along with Charles Busch.
I was really surprised at the transfer for "Village of the Damned" The transfer is extremely sharp and detailed in its original aspect ratio.. The original negative must have been in flawless condition. "Children of the Damned" looks good but not in the same league as "Village".
"Dead Ringer" also looks good although there are a few scratches and and marks that appear occasionally. Charles Busch provides the audio commentary which gives a context to his own campy "Die Mommy Die" which was recently came out on DVD.
Audio commentary is also provided by Bose Hadleigh who wrote "Bette Davis Speaks" along with a video conversation with him.
All of these DVDs were worth the wait!!!!!

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
I was surprised none has commented on Charles Bush's audio commentary for Dead ringer, until Ken did it. Anyone who has seen "Die mommie die" will understand how appropiate his oppinion is, for his movie is an homage to Ringer. Charles Bush plays in "mommie" (SPOILER AHEAD) a diva queen (in drag) who is murdered and replaced by her evil twin. You can watch the Bette Davis's touch in his permormace, along with other 40's screen queens of yesteryears, say Joan Crawford or Lana Turner.

For those wondering if Dead ringer is worth blind buying I would say that is not Davis finest (I'm a huge fan of Bette's classics Jezebel, Little foxes -when an SE on this!!! All about Eve, and even What ever happened to Baby Jane) but this is a very funny and entertaining camp fest nothing more. I'll sure buy it but that's just because I'm a Davis's freak.:b

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I find it interesting that so many people think that any film made after the intro of Widescreen films in Hollywood could or should be Widescreen. ;) ;) ;)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
When are we likely to see the following 2003 AOL-candidates that Warner said were ready-to-go but lost the vote?

Bad Day at Black Rock
The Blackboard Jungle
Finian's Rainbow
The Good Earth
Night of the Iguana
Somebody Up There Likes Me

Is it likely that we will at least see some of them before Santa comes down the chimney?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

we're supposed to.

when you add all the titles that didn't make the cut for last years vote, plus all the titles that were mentioned in the chats from the last 2 yrs, thats a pretty substantial amount of releases-

i wonder if we could now piece together WBs entire 4Q release output?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

Joe, how can you make this claim? Did you visit every theatre in the USA to verify this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks