What's new

More WB classics announced for August. (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Anthony
What brilliant news ! I've wanted VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED for ages. The fact that it's coming with the sequel and BOTH have comm tracks is just above and beyond the call of duty.
Warner Bros are so far ahead of the other studios it's a joke ! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

That's so true; only Fox comes close. It looks like Universal are going to give us their upcoming film noirs as bare bones discs - what would Warners have done with the likes of Double Indemnity?

---
So many films, so little time...

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how much of the "missing" footage cut from the 90-minute version has survived? M-G-M's Mayer, who apparently thought that "Freaks" was an embarrassment, leased the film to exploitation producer Dwain Esper. The cinematic materials that Louis B. Mayer gave to Esper apparently included the official release, Browning's original cut and the revision shots. Some shots said to be cut from the eventual release include:

1. A scene of the barker's prologue speech
2. A scene of a tree that falls on Cleopatra's legs in the forest
3. A scene of Hercules singing soprano after supposedly being castrated by the freaks

Perhaps this situation involving the 90 minute version will be addressed by the commentary &/or documentary.

Bill Huelbig

Second Unit
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
August is becoming one of the best months for classic DVD, thanks to Warner. Last year it was THE HAUNTING, and now we're getting these four great discs. Thanks, Warner.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

We would get the delted ending, we would get a quality retrospective documentary, we would get a commentary track by a Wilder biographer and maybe a Chandler biographer also, etc... etc... etc...

I so want this disc to be good, but I'm preparing myself for anything but. :angry:

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
With regards to the 90 minute version I will hope(especially seeing this was mastered from nitrate elements) but I doubt we will see an extended version. Also right now when you see Freaks it has "two endings" already. So as not to reveal anything it is "chicken" (the original ending) and then the scene with Hans & Frieda at home.If I remember correctly the version I saw at the Film Forum had the other alternate: the "chicken" then Hans and Frieda together at the sideshow. It will be interesting to see if there is another ending.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The "Freaks" cover isn't too bad. ;) But the cover for "The Bad Seed" is terrible! :angry:

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Warners covers are usually pretty good, but The Village of the Damned and Children of the Damned double-feature cover is awful. Never mind; I'm sure the contents will be excellent.

---

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I don't know if the cover for Village/Children of the Damned would be the original poster art, which WB likes to use. If it is, that would be indication that sometimes going with the poster route is not always the best way to go.

The covers for Freaks and Dead Ringer are very cool, though. The extras for Dead Ringer look enticing, but does anyone have an opinion as to whether the movie itself is worth a buy? I've never seen it.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
The cover for Freaks is excellent thankfully, and I actually like the cover for The Bad Seed as well.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I said earlier in the thread that I think it is; not fantastic, but Davis and Malden are always worth watching.

BTW, the more I look at The Village of the Damned and Children of the Damned, the more it reminds me of what the poster would look like if Terry Gilliam designed it (which, on reflection, is no bad thing!)

---

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Did I see that right? Are those non-snapper releases? Great.

Oh, and most of the time I prefer the original poster art. Here it's wonderfully retro...

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I tend to agree with this. (Although I do like the evil look on Rhoda's face on the DVD package. Kinda creepy.)

But those little descriptive passages on the cover are also rather mystifying (to me anyway). Kind of strange ways to describe the "Bad Seed" plot. "Talk all you want about the man and the woman -- ..."
:confused:

Plus: That inset picture on the box (lower left) seems a bit odd as well. It appears to be depicting the scene where Leroy (Henry Jones) is cowering in the basement; with Mrs. Penmark looming over him in a doorway (which, of course, makes no sense, plot-wise, at all). Or are those adult-looking legs supposed to represent "Bad Seed" Rhoda? Doesn't look like a child's body there.
:confused:

http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=11387

Shows a Keep Case. :emoji_thumbsup:
Has anybody actually received any WB DVDs in a Keep Case?

The VHS box art (IMO) might have been a better choice ...............

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Anybody know what ratio "The Bad Seed" (1956) was shot in? I'm guessing 1.66.

Of course, I suppose it could have been 1.33, since in 1956 not everything was being done strictly in WS as yet.

No matter what the AR .... this is one to get.

Henry Jones as "Leroy" is great. .....

"They got a little BLUE chair for little boys .... and a little PINK chair for little gals!!!"

:)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

David... Yes.

The Marx Brothers Collection were all keep cases, the upcoming Film Noir set and I believe (going from memory here) the Cary Grant set are all going to be keep cases. They just posted pics of the upcoming Scorsese box set and it appears to be all keep cases as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daryubel
Recent bookmarks