What's new

More War films coming from Fox on 5/21. (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Fox must really have a thing for war films as it seems like that's the only B&W catalog titles they release on DVD besides Marilyn. Here are the tiles, $19.95 each:

A Yank in the R.A.F.

Between Heaven and Hell

D-Day The 6th of June

Desert Rats - IMO, the best film of the bunch

To The Shores of Tripoli

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Fox is planning to make the Tuesday-before-Memorial-Day-weekend an annual war movies event? Or perhaps they've been doing it already for years with VHS and I just never noticed...

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
It would be nice if Fox would release The Desert Fox as a companion piece to The Desert Rats. They are both good movies. :emoji_thumbsup:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Don't write off Between Heaven And Hell, an underrated interesting film with a fine Oscar nominated score by Hugo Friedhofer (Best Years Of Our Lives).
I must confess I find it odd that they are releasing The Desert Rats but not The Desert Fox. Still, I do have a decent copy of Fox on laser disc.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
What's really weird is that they released The Desert Fox on laser but not The Desert Rats:confused:
Yes, I would also love to see The Blue Max on DVD. I hope they're not thrown off by the fact that it's a World War I film (seeing how all their other releases are WW II and that's the "in" war right now).

Geo Gabor

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be happy if they just released an anamorphic version of The Longest Day. :frowning:

Terry H

Second Unit
I'd be happy if they just released an anamorphic version of The Longest Day.
Agree 100%. I just can't understand why they even changed the package. Same old transfer. I don't think the Tora,Tora,Tora "repackage" got anamorphic treatment either.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Tora! Tora! Tora! has always been anamorphic on DVD. So has Patton. That's one of the reasons that it was so disappointing that The Longest Day (released at the same time as the other two film's first DVD appearances) was not.

Regards,

Terry H

Second Unit
Heh... everyone jumped on that one.

Tora! Tora! Tora! has always been anamorphic on DVD.
I recall attempting to get particulars on this prior to release and it appeared the only value added was a short documentary so I did not buy it. I was unaware that a commentary had been done. Is the commentary any good? Worth buying the disc? Remember, I already own the movie. I did not recall they were anamorphic. I stand corrected on that point. Thanks.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I thought the commentary on Tora, Tora, Tora was quite dull. It's mostly made up of Richard Fleischer pointing out the vast number of scenes he had nothing to do with -- "And this was done by my second unit..." Pretty much all of the good scenes were directed by someone else. He doesn't seem to have many answers to Stewart Galbraith's questions and they almost never discuss the actual historical event.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I wish that they would give us SEs for The Thin Red Line and The Longest Day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks