More Walt Disney Treasures this year?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin J Willis, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Kevin J Willis

Kevin J Willis Stunt Coordinator

2. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

Sign me up for a copy of each. The Mickey and Goofy cartoons especially [​IMG]
    Todd

3. Todd Phillips

Todd Phillips Second Unit

Sounds good...hopefully we'll get Donald Duck next year.

4. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

Very nice.
    Gotta love classic Disney animation. [​IMG]
    Evan

5. Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey Second Unit

Terry Hickey
    I'm looking forward to seeing "The Scarecrown" again. I remember watching it when I was a little kid and waiting to see when the next episode would air. Also will definitely get the Goofy one too.

6. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I have all of the first wave, but could someone please tell me what Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow is? also what do you expect on true life adventures? Only disapointed that there is no donald collection this year (they'll need two or three two disc sets to cover all 140 or so) but since these are quality releases I'm willing to wait, and the complete 50 or so Goofy shorts should be absolutely great.
    still waiting for:
    Donald treasures two maybe three
    at least another mickey treasures
    silly symphonies two
    Man in Space series
    and any other vinatge material I can't think of right now. [​IMG]
    Adam

7. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

Mmmmmm, this is going to be great - the Goofy collection in particular, I guess. Complete, really? Oooooh!
    No details on True-Life Adventures, but a collection of some of the best ones would do fine (complete would be too much, wouldn't it?). I've never seen any of these, but I've wanted to for quite a while. They are an important part of Disney history.
    Black & White Mickey - I have the old LD set, so I won't feel _absolutely_ sure until I know what's on the DVD set. If there's anything previously unavailable on the new set I will certainly buy it. If there isn't, there's a good chance I'll still end up buying it...
    Dr Syn... Didn't know anything about this. Some info can be found on www.drsyn.com IF I buy this (big IF) it would only be to complete the Disney Treasures collection.

8. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

9. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    any idea if the Goofy collection includes Goofy sports? I remember there were some shorts where Goofy introduced various sports, and the one on ice hockey has to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

10. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    I would have much preferred more of "Silly Symphonies" and a Donald Duck collection.

The B&W Mickey Mouse collection seems a strange choice, as the animation is rather antiquated and the previous Laserdisc did not sell well.

The True Life Adventure series were amazing in their day, but have dated very badly.

The 16mm photography and print by Technicolor looks very poor by today's standards.

Goofy? At least he's better than Pluto.

I think that the cartoon sets would be better if they featured a wide selection of different character cartoons in each set.( Like the Warner Bros Cartoon laserdisc box sets)

It would add variety, be more entertaining and less repetitive. What do you think?

While we're about it, how about some episodes of "The Mickey Mouse Club"

I've still got a crush on Annette and Darlene.

11. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I am MOST interested in the True Life Adventure series. It is true that they seem quaint by today's standards, now that kids can find wonderful 35mm wildlife footage of anything they wish to see on cable t.v., almost on demand. True also, the Winston Hibler narration and some of the image manipulations that were utilized in order to add humor (the scorpion dance in LIVING DESERT is one of the most blatant offenders) are offensive and anthropomorphic in the nth degree. Still, these films were landmarks in their day, and the photographers spent literally years waiting to catch much that is seen in the series. I'd be grateful for LIVING DESERT, VANISHING PRAIRIE, THE AFRICAN LION, WHITE WILDERNESS, and THE SECRETS OF LIFE, most of which won Academy Awards for Documentary Feature in their years.

12. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

I don't know anything about what the sets will be like, but since one title seems to be "The Complete Goofy" we're most probably talking about the 40+ theatrical Goofy shorts. The ice hockey and the other classic sports titles should be included.

"Victory Vehicles" should be in, unless Disney changes the definition of the word "complete".

The B&W Mickey LD set didn't sell much, but this time it's DVD. I'm sure that's going to make quite a difference. The B&W shorts may have less appeal today than the color ones, but the set should easily sell to people with an interest for Disney animation history.

13. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

This is fantastic news! I will be picking up the Goofy and Mickey tins for sure.

-Dean-

14. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Add the fact that this DVD will almost certainly be cheaper than the original laserdisc set, and attract a wider customer base due to the format being more widespread, I can not really see the DVD sell that badly, if this batch is limited to 150 000 as well I think they would get bought rather quickly. If the image quality also is improved anything close to the Mickey Mouse in living color, this set is a must for fans, even is they own the LD box set.

The only sad thing about this, is it will make my modest Disney laserdisc collection obsolete...

Oh, who am I kidding, I'm extatic!