What's new

More Video Capture questions.... (1 Viewer)

Dan M~

Second Unit
Hi again,
Thanks again for the help in getting my All-in-wonder 7500 up and running!:D
I captured about 30 minutes of VHS into an mpeg-1 format to begin playing with. The video needs some dead time removed from it and to cut some from the beginning and end. I have downloaded VirtualDub and TMPGEnc and need some help.
It seems that VirtualDub will only edit the AVI format. I can load an MPG but not cut and edit it. Is this true? BTW, where do I find an operators manual?
TMPGEnc will allow you to convert file types, but not edit the file. Is this true? Again, is there a manual?
I also have Ulead VideoStudio 5.0 and I still haven't figured it out.
Is there a program (freeware?) that will allow you to edit an MPG1 or MPG2 file?
Any guidance would be helpful.

Alan Curry

Agent
Dan,

If you want to just cut frames then both VirtualDub and TMPGEnc will do the job. TMPGEnc has a source range setting which is under the advanced tab under the setting button.

Alan

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The problem with major editing packages doing MPEG is that only half the frames actually exist. The rest are extrapolated based on how things change in the image.

Example

Normal AVI- Pixel 172

Frame 1-Red
Frame 2-Red
Frame 3-Red
Frame 4-Brown
Frame 4-Brown

MPEG

Red for 3 frames
Brown for 2 frames

So MPEG stores the same information in 2 commands that normal AVI stores in 5

Dan M~

Second Unit
Thanks guys,

I'll try playing with the settings. Has anyone found a user manual for either of these programs?

Jeff, Thanks for the education, I see why the programing would be a bear!

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Try checking Link Removed's some info there on being able to split and re-join mpeg files. I did this at one point with my TV wonder, but don't quite remember how I did it, but I do know that vcdhelp was where I found the instructions. Basically, if you have clip ABC and want to get rid of B, you save A as a file, and C as a file, and then join A and C.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks