more turntable questions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Travis*N, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Travis*N

Travis*N Auditioning

hi, i've just recently got into vinyl and have to say, i am totally in love with the format. i've finally found the sound i have been searching for for so long in the digital medium. the turn table i got is a rega p3 with an audionote IQ-1 cartridge, and i run it through a denon 3802 with paradigm reference 60's. I would really appreciate some opinions on the following.

1. how is the audionote cartridge? I originally wanted the rega elyse, but my dealer heavily recommended the AN cart, as it was only about $50 more, and he said is a much nicer sounding cartridge. Since I really know very little yet about this stuff, I took their word for it.

2. my TT is plugged into my denon reciever's phono input, and its set on "direct" mode. Does the reciever convert the signal to digital and then back to analog? (I read somewhere that most recievers do this, not sure why though) If it does, wouldn't this more or less defeat the purpose of going analog? When switching between "stereo" and "direct" I do notice that direct sounds alot cleaner though.

3. How is the phono pre-amp on denons recievers. would i need a better system (separate processor/amplifier) to notice the improvements of a good stand alone pre-amp? i would definitly be willing to spend up to $300 on a pre-amp if it would help improve the sound.
    any help will be very appreciated , thanks.

PS: and to think i used to laugh at my dad for still listening to viny

[​IMG]

2. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"1. how is the audionote cartridge? I originally wanted the rega elyse, but my dealer heavily recommended the AN cart, as it was only about $50 more, and he said is a much nicer sounding cartridge. Since I really know very little yet about this stuff, I took their word for it. "

Sorry, I've never heard this cart. You may try a search on audioasylum for other's thoughts.

"2. my TT is plugged into my denon reciever's phono input, and its set on "direct" mode. Does the reciever convert the signal to digital and then back to analog? (I read somewhere that most recievers do this, not sure why though) If it does, wouldn't this more or less defeat the purpose of going analog? When switching between "stereo" and "direct" I do notice that direct sounds alot cleaner though."

It should keep it in analog, does the 3802 have Pure direct?
    If so, try this setting...it should definitely not run through the ADC. Other owners of the 3802 should be able to tell you, also check out the owner's manual.

"3. How is the phono pre-amp on denons recievers. would i need a better system (separate processor/amplifier) to notice the improvements of a good stand alone pre-amp? i would definitly be willing to spend up to $300 on a pre-amp if it would help improve the sound.
    any help will be very appreciated , thanks."

This could be your single best improvement, IMO. I have the Denon 5800 (upgraded) and used the onboard phono input for a couple of weeks before I upgraded to an outboard stage (Acoustic "Tango" from Needledoctor) and the difference was literally night and day. The soundstage, imaging, and gain were vastly improved. Don't underestimate the value of a decent phono stage, it is a very important part of your analog system.

Congrats on the setup, that is a very sweet table. I have a Rega (P25) myself, email me if you have any other questions.

Jeremy