More TNN annoyance...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Nov 8, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Tuned in to the TNG marathon, only to see the scroll on the bottom of the screen had gotten even more annoying. No longer is it an add for the show currently on, and what's coming next.

Now they've got what seems to be a scrolling text, displaying what the people who call in say about the show. They've also seem to have added trivia questions.

SURLEY they must notice that this drives people away from the shows they play? Not only that, but it also drives people to buy the official DVD's, and turn off TNN for good. Without Trek, TNN probably wouldn't even be a blip on the map as far as cable networks go...

Anyone else stop watching their Trek marathons because of this?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I think that there are some TNN execs are having a conpetition who can drive the most viewers away

3. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

People didn't actually think the dreaded black bar would just stay silent forever, did they? This is the first step in TNN's "How Much Crap Will The Audience Put Up With" Campaign(TM). The bar will probably expand in size, run ads full-time, jump around the screen. People will eventually talk about the good old days when the new animated ad bar was just a solid black bar that never moved.

4. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

As much as I love TNG and cant afford the season sets, I just cant watch TNG on TNN at all.

I cant wait for the day when we have the ability to turn off all channel overlays and logos. Especially for sports, as they seem to be getting bigger and bigger...

5. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Craig is correct and I've been saying the same thing for almost 2 years now. TNN is experimenting and they are slowly pushing the envelope further and further. Other network suits, are no doubt watching TNN (and salivating), hoping that people will except it, so in the future, they can also do it. If this catches on, it will change TV forever and we will have constant advertising of products throughout TV programs.

Pretty scary stuff!

Jeff

6. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I've begun using a matte over this annoying crap whenever I view TNG.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Problem is, TNN vertically compresses the image, rendering everything "squished." Worf morphs into a menacing Munchkin.

Though we've talked this topic to death, I'm letting the thread stay open. I'm always in the hope that some low-level minion at Trashy National Network might be browsing and see just how alienating this egregious practice is.

BTW, with five TNG season boxsets at my disposal, the TNN travesty is but a distant, unpleasant memory to me. So is cable, for that matter. I don't miss the more aggressively obnoxious cable channels and station bugs one iota.

8. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

9. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

I noticed the new bar last night also and found it incredibly annoying. Really the only reason I tuned it was to see how "The Next Phase" started, since my old VHS tape of it cut off the beginning. What really caught my attention though was the advert they placed right after the opening intro which depicted TNN execs at a meeting, with the head PR guy reporting about what they're audience wants...as if they listened to viewer concerns. All he said was that people want action or something and it segwayed into an ad for "Action night" or something. Could someone remind me of what they said about our complaints of the bar?

Oh, and the bar stayed on for that commercial too, but cut out after the TNN station ones. Possibly because the CRTC places Canadian ads or something.

10. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

If I have to watch TNN (TNG, A-Team), I watch it on computer, turn of the aspect ratio lock on my ATI software, and highlight the real portion of the picture. You'll find that the image is also presented correctly, because the addition of the crap bar at the bottom squeezes the the vertical image; it does not mask the image causing some of it to disappear...

11. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>I watch it on computer, turn of the aspect ratio lock on my ATI software>>
    Hmm, I forgot about the apect ratio turn off. Now why didn't I think of that? [​IMG].
    And also, I seem to remember reading on some Trek Con report, that TNN attended, apparently the employees hate the bar as much as we do. So it sadly looks like we are going to have to hope for an Exec. Either that, or we can call that 1800 Pop number they display and voice our displeasure vehemenently [​IMG].