What's new

More Tivo questions (1 Viewer)

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
OK first, I remember reading about Replay TV somewhere. Is that any good, or is Tivo really the best?

I'm in the market for a new DVD player and a DirecTV system ... would I be better off getting the DirecTV receiver with Tivo buit in, or a DVD recorder with Tivo built in?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
This thread belongs over in the PVR/DVD-R section ...

I think Replay TV is bankrupt, but I could be mistaken
They are on their third life; their first buyer SonicBlue went bankrupt, but the ReplayTV unit was sold to the parent company of Denon and lives on.

Mickey Geer

Agent
I have a series 1 Hughes GXCEBOT direct-tivo unit and I must say it is THE best purchase I have ever made. If you are using direct-tv, it is a no-brainer. The stand-alone units are fine but the direct-tivo are really easy to use and I would recommend going that route.

Jasmine Meathe

Stunt Coordinator
I think TiVo is definitely the better option. I've heard some pretty bad things about Replay TV. I know TiVo has some great features that I use all the time and is definitely more user friendly. I've heard Replay TV is too complicated with too many gadgets.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I have two ReplayTV boxes. I can stream from one box to another, and they have Commercial Advance. There have been a few minor glitches, but overall I'm very happy with them.

But if you're getting DirecTV, then definitely go with the DirecTiVo. If you aren't, then the choice isn't necessarily that easy.

//Ken

Michael*K

Screenwriter
You can stream programming between TiVo boxes as well if you have the Home Media Option. Of course, it's a moot point if you go with DirecTiVo since the HMO isn't available for those boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks