What's new

More than 50% of Apple Juice comes from China? (1 Viewer)

Marianne

Supporting Actor
http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/wayof...ref=newssearch

Quote from article:
"Some of the food products that come from China may surprise you. Take an American staple like apple juice. The USDA says 50 percent of the apple juice imported in the United States today comes from China. That's an estimated 161,000 tons of apple juice compared to the 110,000 tons produced in the United States, according to the USDA."

That's scary. A product you always think of as healthy, that you feed to your kids comes from China and you have no way of knowing. Who knows what they spray on the apples and how sanitary their production process is.

Looking at a bottle of Motts AJ there is nothing stating where it comes from on the label or the bottle.

Am I just paranoid?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Looks like it's safer to drink wine than apple juice these days. [Wine region of origin labeling laws are strictly enforced.]

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Another quote from the article:
"You know where your sneakers come from but not your food."

Maybe producers who do not use any ingredients from China should start stating that on their labels.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I wonder though - even if the apples come from the U.S., this doesn't mean they weren't shipped overseas to be made into juice...

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Who says that all food from other countries (including the US) isn't harmful? Heck, we can't even grow spinach properly...

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Greg, you can always use that argument of course, but I would prefer to get food from a country that has similar standards to the US and other developed countries for food that they supply to their own people.

US apple growers have to comply with all the regulations regarding chemicals used, etc. Then they have to compete with China where they don't have the same regulations, or they ignore them. No wonder Chinese produce is cheaper.

If the consumer knows where most other products come from, and can make decisions based on that knowledge, why not with food.

Cameron, I don't think that shipping apples to China would be cost effective. Just Google "China apple producers" and you will see that China is now the largest apple producer in the world.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've been surprised many times by what actually gets outsourced, so I was kind of bracing myself for the shock that juice production gets done overseas too! :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Read more of the article, which defeated my point. Careless of me.

CRyan

Screenwriter
^^ Unfortunate truth.

I, on the other hand, care a great deal about who produces my food.

Especially after reading the eating cardboard off the floor sidewalk vendors in China. No cardboard pulp for me thank you.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I hope not. After all, this is an individual who decided he was going to build boxes, put an "air hole" in them, install really big drivers (no reason to use crossovers even), sell them for a mint and become a tycoon, then started a thread, in the past tense, about doing it.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser

I think you've announced that enough already.

Anyways, let me rephrase that. I really don't WANT to know where it comes from. If I like it, and I'm hungry, than I'll eat it.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Checked out the labels for different types of Motts Apple Juice.

Motts Natural Fresh Pressed 100% Apple Juice label states:
100% US Grown Apples

None of their other types of AJ carry this statement. All of them were the same price.

Also checked Motts "Natural Apple Sauce & Vitamin C" (6-pack). If you look at the pull tab on the lids you will either see:

Mott's LLP, Rye Brook, NY 10573, USA 0784859

OR:

Mott's Inc, Stamford, CT 06905-0800, Product of USA, 780280D.

I guess this means that some of it is produced in China and some in the US.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hmmm. Could also mean that the product was legally obtained by a party residing in the USA, from an outside party.

Shoes of Cees Alons. Jacket of Cees Alons. Tie of Cees Alons. DVD-player of Cees Alons.
None of them manufactured or grown by Cees Alons. :)

Cees

PhillJones

Second Unit

That might mean that the grow them in the US, ship them to China to be juiced and ship the juice back.

On a side note. This week-end, we threw away all of our sons toys that were made in China. He stick some of those in his mouth and after reading this.

http://www.reuters.com/article/busin...rpc=23&sp=true

into the bin they all went. Fortunately, he's only 10 months old and so not particularly attached to any the toys we chucked out. The only toy he really is attached to was mercifully made in Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks