What's new

More SVS CS+ testing and some comments/questions (1 Viewer)

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I am still in the process of testing my 20-39CS+. I put the port blocker in calibrated to +6db. I then put both SVS in the corner of the room and put in the Video Essentials DVD. I ran the sub test tone and upped the volume until it was at 72db. I noted that the volume stayed between 72.5-75db. I then put the subs in the right corner of the room. I ran the test tone again without changing the volume and got the same result. Next I put one sub in each corner. My wife likes this option the best. (WAF Factor) I ran the tone again and got 72-74.5. That is .5db lower than the subs stacked together. I then switched the wires on one of the subs to change the phase and got 2db less. Obviously for this room that is not a good idea. I know it is supposed to be better running the subs in the same corner. Is there anything else I should think of when calibrating because they look better in different corners? Also .5db is not really noticable to me.
Next I put in the Phantom Mencace pod race and star fight at the end. OMG!!!!!!!! Before I had one 20-39CS and now I have two 20-39CS+. It seemed like before the bass was really good but at high levels it kind of dropped off like the sub was being stressed. I never have bottomed one out. Now there is no stress at all. I turned those boys up and could not believe the results. The bass seemed to surround me. I felt my organs fighting for position as they tried to hide from the onslaught of bass. It was truely impressive. It was as if the SVS said, "Just another day at the office" Keep in mind that my room is 20x18 with 12' ceilings.
http://members.home.net/bbowles1/SVS_corners

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
Total output is only one part of the equation. Flat response throughout the frequency range of the subwoofers is the bigger issue.

If you are measuring relatively flat response with one sub in each corner (you would measure that using individual test tones at 1/3 octave intervals) then leave them like that! And even if separate-corner sub response is a bit more jagged than stacking them, there's something to be said for keeping the wife happy...

--Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks