More Superman Movie news...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Feb 6, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Dunno how old some of this stuff is, but figured I'd post it anyway... Spoilers ahoy!

From the Last Son of Krypton site at http://www.lsok.cjb.net/:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    04/02/03.. WANT TO KNOW WHAT’S IN THE NEW SUPERMAN SCRIPT??!!

Of course you do! Before you say anything this is from an old draft dated December 2002, so it may have little relevance to the final movie. As we speak Abrams is still working on the final draft of the script. I checked all this out with Abrams’ representatives and they confirmed this draft is in existence but is an older draft (2nd or 3rd? They didn’t specify).

So what has changed? Well not a lot really, the whole plot and premise is much the same, Ty-Zor is the bad guy, Kal-El is sent to Earth by Jor-El etc. Here are some other things that might interest you: -

· Krypton doesn’t explode and is still in the middle of a civil war (you’ll have to wait for parts 2 + 3 for that)

· Jimmy is gay (make that "highly effeminate", but when has Jimmy been butch anyway?)

· Superman dies and Jor-El’s spirit talks him into coming back to life

· Superman makes his debut to the world by rescuing Air Force One

· An excellent crime fighting sequence similar to the one seen in Spider-Man and Donner’s original Superman

· Luthor is no longer in the CIA or an alien (well, sort of) swipe below with your mouse to see what’s going on with Luthor:

Lex Luthor isn’t a CIA agent anymore, he is a failed businessman who becomes possessed by the spirit of a dead Kryptonian resulting in him becoming a super-genius!

I can’t stress enough that this is not the final shooting script and it could in no way resemble the final film. The state of the movie is changing constantly and the script is no exception.>>

After reading all this, I have to agree with the posts at another message board. WHY do they think it's a good idea to mess with a classic movie, and WHY did anyone at Warners think that this would be a good idea? Superman has worked for some 70 odd years, why change a good thing?

The only things I like above are the 'crime fighting and rescuing air Force one' ideas, wich happened in the first movie.

2. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

That sounds like the old draft. I heard that JJ Abrams heard all the fans goin ape-shit over it and pulled out all the stupid stuff, which would leave the script with like one good scene.

**Spoiler**

Where Superman goes into the warehouse and Lex has Lois in a pool with krypton and hes gonna drown her and Supes goes in a rescues her.

3. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

It sounds like the old script, except the changes to Luthor. That was the only thing we were told would be changed. The new idea still sucks. I get the impression Abrams doesn't understand what was wrong with the old idea.

4. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

IMHO Everything I read in that post sucks.

TyZor(Who the Hell thought up that name?),Possessed Lex Luthor,Superman dying and coming back to life,Krypton not exploding?!?!?!

Ummm, Didnt JorEl send his son to Earth to avoid him being killed of with the rest of the race???

TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I read in an interview with Ratner that almost everything in that script is NOT going to happen.

6. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Well, that Lex idea isn't much better than the other one, tho it is an improvement. They still have that stupid "death and rebirth" thing in there as well. Other than that, I didn't have as much of a problem with what I heard about the rest of the script.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I don't trust a word Ratner says. The fact that that blasphemous script existed at all is proof that he cannot be trusted with Superman.

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

9. James T

James T Screenwriter

They should make it Superman's first appearance, but using the comic's storyline. In other words, make Luthor President of the United States.

10. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

The problem is WB trying to catch up to Marvels recent film success.They are in such a hurry to cash in on the superhero movie craze,theyre not taking the time to get it right. It only takes an actual respect for the source material to make a great movie.Thats why The first Superman was a hit ,as was Spidey,X-Men,and now Daredevil.Despite some minor changes the heart of the story was true to the comic. The draft for Superman so far COMPLETELY disregards everything that is superman. Its very,very,shallow.I pray for this to fail so maybe then theyd either show some respect and do it right,or leave it alone.

Luis S