More Subwoofer Questions

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JarrettVance, Dec 8, 2003.

1. JarrettVance

JarrettVance Auditioning

This is my first post here, yet I’ve done DIY audio before. I’m looking to get my brother a sub for Christmas and he has always loved my original Shiva that I built 4 years ago. I have also enjoyed it. His current setup already has great sound and decent bass but lacks some punch in the lower end. Up front he has 3 SE-2’s, and for the surrounds he has 2 SE-1’s. We built these awesome speakers from plans bought from Shamrock audio. Anyway, I have hardly any money so here is my question. If I got him the Shiva, would a good temporary solution be to run his sub off of the center rear channel (125 watts)? His pioneer receiver features this option but seems it might not be enough power. Would it still fill in some of that lower end?

PS: After 15 posts I can post some links to where you guys can check out some pictures of our previous DIY audio projects.

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

The amps in receivers aren't really designed to deliver the power a sub can demand, but no harm in trying and see what happens. Just don't over drive the amp and cook the receiver.

3. JarrettVance

JarrettVance Auditioning

Well, I jumped on the dayton titanic for 89 bucks. We've enjoyed building speakers in the past so it'll be fun to see what we can come up with for this one. I'll have to look at the specs, but it seems I could get the parents to purchase that MCM 250watt amp to power it. That should make for a decent gift.

4. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Jarrett,
    Hope your brother likes the sub. I also got my brother a new sub for Christmas. An alternative to the 250 W amp if you parents dont go for it would be an old stereo amp. Maybe you have one laying around. If not you can pick up used DPL receivers pretty cheap.

5. JarrettVance

JarrettVance Auditioning