What's new

More subs please, Sunfire & SVS (1 Viewer)

Pete Austin

Agent
Greetings All,
In the never-ending search to find the perfect receiver to mate to those awsome SVS's I was doing some casual reading on CNET.com and came across an article about the forthcoming Sunfire Ultimate Receiver due out in August and claiming to be "the most powerful receiver on the market" @ 200W per channel (Link Removed). It sounded interesting so I jumped over to Sunfire's website and while the Ultimate is not yet listed their Theater Grand III was. I started looking at it's spec's and noticed that it has FOUR subwoofer outputs (I can only assume that the Ultimate will have the same). I am not familiar with Sunfire but the most I remember seeing on a receiver is TWO sub outputs. Am I just uninformed or is this unusual?
Being the big fan of SVS that I am I wonder, could one conceivably run up to FOUR SVS PC series subs off this one receiver!? Now that would be impressive. If Tom or Ron are around, do you guys have the Sunfire in your labs, and if so, have you tried running four of your subs off it. While I also realize that running four SV subs is probably a little overkill (like trying to kill a gopher with a quad-barreled shotgun when a double-barrel will do the job just fine), I'm just curious to hear if anyone has tried such a thing or can offer any insight into running four subs, any four subs, off this reciever. What are the advantages/disadvantages to running four subs (asside from the obvious). Also, if anyone has any additional info on the Sunfire Ultimate Receiver I would like to hear it. The CNET article was extremely sparse on details. Thanks.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Extra sub outputs on most processors are just for convenience (there are a few exceptions, Lexicon being one I believe). Any receiver can have 4 or more active or passive subs hooked up to it. All you do is split the single sub preout into as many connections as you need (placing four or more subs so they don't mess with each others frequency response is a whole other issure though).

There are many people on this forum running 2 or more subs. I believe there is even one guy running 8 SVS subs.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Perhaps the 4 sub outputs isn't meant just for four subs. Maybe it is also for 2 subs, without the use of a cheap Y cable.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I believe there is even one guy running 8 SVS subs.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
I don't know what to make of that!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
If you don't know what to make of that, this will really send you for a loop:
Link Removed
Each one of those drivers is as capable as the driver currently used in the base SVS models.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks