What's new

More stutter/stop questions? (1 Viewer)

Alistair Scriven

Auditioning
I was very relieved to see others having this problem, but I am running a fast processor with plenty of RAM, and still getting the same problem.

I just received (2/02) a Dell C810 laptop with a PIII 1.13 GHz, 256k RAM, a 32 MB "Double Data Rate" Nvidia Video card, with dell's 30 gig hard drive, dell's 8x8x8x24 DVD/CDRW, and the 15" UXGA LCD screen. I am watching DVDs with WinDVD (Can't find version ID in properties, where is this tid bit of info?) with just two channel sound, and don't even have CPU consuming software installed yet (Still waiting for work to get me my anti-virus software, etc.)

Well, I took my machine on a recent trip, and let my son watch Shriek while we were on the plane. The stuttering was so bad that we gave up watching it, and not a bumpy flight. (After I had already tried dropping the display setting to 1024x768, but continued 32bit color) I tried again at home with the machine plugged in (to see if power configuration had anything to do with it), and even with max. performance selected it still stuttered, going so far as to spontaneously change chapters. Seems better when watching non-animated flicks like Matrix, but other computer animated flicks like Toy Story still choppy.

What's going on here? Any suggestions, FAQ referrals, or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
The trimmed down version of WinDVD that Dell ships with their laptops is CRAP! Your best bet is to buy the Full version of WinDVD or PowerDVD. I did (got WinDVD) and it solved all stuttering problems.

You can look over the discussion boards on Dell's forum and find the same solution that I just said. There are MANY people out there with this problem. Why Dell is doing nothing about it, I have no idea!!

Alistair Scriven

Auditioning
Great Help!

Seems that Dell is doing a better job on providing upgraded WinDVD now. Saw all the posts regarding 1.XXX versions when Intervideo was only supporting v2.x or higher. Mine came shipped with 3.058.6, but when I went to the Dell/Talk downloads, there was a WinDVD fix posted for portable systems with stutter stop issues. I downloaded the fix, and will have to see if it works when I get home tonight. Don't know why they didn't send the system with the fix as mine was built 1/25/02, and the fix was posted 12/21/01.

Thanks again, keeping my fingers crossed that this works.

AJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks