More Studios join the UMD bandwagon

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JohnS, May 1, 2005.

1. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Taken from 1up.com news

More Studios Commit UMD
    Fox, Universal, Paramount committing to new format.
    by Patrick Klepek
    04/28/2005
    20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Entertainment are the latest movie studios preparing to jump into UMD, reports Video Business Online.
    "I think by the end of the year most, if not all, of the studios will be releasing movies on PSP," Sony president Ben Feingold said to the publication "For a format to be successful, it's important to have a broad product offering."

Dodgeball, Napoleon Dynamite, I, Robot, Super Troopers and Predator are believed to be in the first round of releases from Fox, while expected output from the other studios is less clear.

2. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

The Marketing folks from Buena Vista asked me if I wanted to review any UMD titles. I told them no since I dont' have a Sony Playstation (I'm assuming it's needed to watch them?). Could someone post a summary of what this technology is about and why it may or may not be of interest to film enthusiasts?

3. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Personally, I dont feel it is of any interest to film enthusiasts. First of all, the only way to play them is with a $300 portable gaming system. Secondly, you are limited in size to the PSP's screen. Lastly, you are limited to the technical specifications of the PSP, mainly its screen size and audio. As far as I know, there is no way (at this time) to output the PSPs A/V to an external device, so its not like you could even play these movies through your HT. Not only that, this format offers nothing that you cant already get on regular DVD, and in many cases, the prices are higher than their DVD counterparts.

I'm not saying I think its a totally bad idea, Im just saying, I dont see much of a purpose of reviewing these titles on a home theater enthusiast site...although I could be wrong.

4. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

I consider myself a film enthusiast & I personally am quite interested in this but only for long journeys on public transport (Planes, Traines & Buses). But as I don't travel that much, I can't justify buying one, although I could let my kids use it while we go on journeys where I'm driving.

If I was going on another 23 hour flight like I did 4 years ago, I'd buy one for sure!!! [​IMG]

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Johnny,

Why not just get a portable DVD player with 16x9 LCD screen (very affordable these days) or lap-top with DVD drive that plays *all* your high-quality existing DVD software? Spending $$ on a degraded-quality format just to take a trip with other cost-effective solutions exist that do not compromise the quality of your film library doesn't make sense to me.

6. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Because that high quality DVD player won't play my high quality video games!

I would buy UMDs IF they retailed at no more than $9.99. That, or pack them in with regular DVDs, and charge me an additional $5. Hell, even give me a coupon to buy the UMD version via mail for an additional fee.

But $12-$28 for UMD? Hell no. Buy the DVD, rip to a memory stick, live with it.

7. Eric Emma

Eric Emma Supporting Actor

Edit [​IMG]

8. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

I figured it out: those who do not have PSPs just cant understand.

Hey David, Id review those UMDs if youd like! Seriously!

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

David Galindo,

Email me...

dave [​IMG]

10. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Yep - you can do that. Only one problem - cost for high capacity memory stick. To maintain some semblance of (don't laugh!) quality, you need a high capacity memory stick. Even a low capacity (512MB) stick is still going to cost more than a handful of UMD movies.

Doesn't affect me, if I'm on a trip that long, I'll pack the DVD player.

11. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

It's not legal because you're defeating copy protection.

12. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    And discussion of ripping any DVD to any other source is not allowed on this forum whether or not you think it is right or not.

13. Eric Emma

Eric Emma Supporting Actor

I apologize it won't happen again

14. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I can see the cool factor of having the movie on a portable device such as the PSP but I just do not understand the pricing structure at all. It appears to be one big joke. What's even worse are the new phones that can play movies. On IMDB they said the price for Shawshank (the first movie released) was $32!! I don't even know if I will pay $32 for the HD version of the movie, sub standard def mobile phone version.

15. PeterMano

PeterMano Stunt Coordinator

First off, the psp value pack is $250, not the $300 price that's been mentioned. Second, although people deride the video quality of the psp, a number of these low cost dvd players don't support resolutions as high as the psp. For instance, tohsiba has a 7" dvd player at $199 but the res is 480 x 234 while the psp res is 480 x 272. Additionally, as I've owned a small portable dvd player for a long while and my model is quite small, these players are still fairly bulky and they produce considerable heat. I can stick a psp fairly easily into a pair of pants pockets or an inner pocket of my jacket.

As far as the umd 'bandwagon", I'd hardly call ten or so films a bandwagon. They're overpriced and a number are reformatted to fit the psp screen, so film purists need not apply. Also, aside from Kill Bill, the movies seem to be basicallly bare bones affairs. Umd movie watching is for casual viewing. Personally, I don't understand why movies, as attempting to watch an entire full length movie with the psp is very tiring and awkward. You have to hold the psp with your hands, this is not a laptop device. Cartoon compililations, half hour shows, music videos are much better suited to the device, than T2 or POTC.

The psp remains first and foremost a gaming device with umd movie watching an option. It has not been optimized as a movie playback device. As a game player that can playback suprisingly high quality movies on little discs, its a marvel. Judged as a portable movie player requiring a completely separate investment in media with no external output options and questionable ergonomics with no remote, its an uninviting propisition.

I would also add that the psp screen suffers from noticeable motion blur. Not terrible, but you'll definitely spot it without having to look very hard for it. There is a fair amount of glare with the screen and in daylight, the screen gets washed out. Great gaming device, serviceable movie playback device for short bursts.