What's new

More Sgt. Bilko? (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes
I was looking at the recently found link for the CBS Syndication Bible referred to in another thread. First, I couldn't tell anything about DVD release plans from it. Second, I did notice that it provides regarding this show, "Four episodes are not available for distribution: 68, 89, 117, 119." Do you think that this would be an obstacle for a DVD release? Thanks
I don't know what Neil's source is and doubt it's the same as mine, but generally he's been correct and our sources have matched up. In this instance, unfortunately, I'm told that while Sgt. Bilko Season 2 was a possibility for a release, it was only a coin-flip type of possibility and that the coin landed face down, if you would. In other words, as of right now I don't believe it's on the schedule for further releases. If Neil has different news I'd love to hear it because I was in for as many seasons of this show as CBS was willing to give us (whether that be through them or a rental to another studio like Shout).

Gary "my crystal ball revealed many shows that were a coin-flip decision and almost all of them landed heads down for the 1st two quarters of this year - maybe the second half of the year will be better and some of these stalled series will be revisited by the studio and released" O.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
I concur, SmithB and Bob. I'd rather be through with a season or two rather than nothing. Due to $$$$ constraints, I may have to hold off on Dragnet S4 for XMAS rather than my birthday, which is coming up. Though I can finish up the series' collection now, I just cannot--yet. So, I shall hold off for now. And as for Bilko...I compliment S1 with the 50th Anniversary set from 2006. IF that's all to come, I can live with that.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Gary OS
"my crystal ball revealed many shows that were a coin-flip decision and almost all of them landed heads down
Where was Bilko's double-headed coin when we needed it!!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P
Where was Bilko's double-headed coin when we needed it!!
Exactly, Jack. Not only would Bilko's series have profited from that, but so would quite a few others from what I can tell.

Gary "keeping my fingers crossed that the next time the crystal ball speaks there's some good news about several of these 'on the bubble' shows" O.

ThatDonGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Del Grande
My only gripe with Bilko possibly stopping after one season is, where I lived, they never aired all of the episodes (it aired on two different stations about 20 years apart, and, for some reason, not only were some episodes in one station's run not in the other (one had the Ed Sullivan episode, while the other didn't), but episodes that both of them aired had different syndication cuts - for example, in the $64,000 Question episode, one cut out Private Honnegan's $32,000 question, while the other cut out the answer to the first contestant's $64,000 question (having to recite the poem "The Road Less Traveled"); I had already seen all of the first season episodes, but there are episodes in each subsequent season (for example, where Bilko imagines he's the father to Bing Crosby's sons, and where the McGuire Sisters appear) that I haven't seen.

ThatDonGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Del Grande
Originally Posted by JoeDoakes
I did notice that it provides regarding this show, "Four episodes are not available for distribution: 68, 89, 117, 119."
Anybody have any idea which episodes those are? I have seen two different episode guides, with two slightly different numbering lists.

68 is almost certainly the Sam Snead episode.

89 is probably either the Kay Kendall episode or the one with Dick Van Dyke as Bilko's cousin (I don't see why the latter would be on an unavailable list, as the other Dick Van Dyke episode - where he is a baseball pitcher - isn't on it (and, in fact, would be more likely to be on it as it includes Red Barber, Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, and Phil Rizzuto)).

Both lists have 117 and 119 as fairly nondescript episodes (the chaplain wants Bilko to keep a boys' club out of the hands of developers; Ritzik becomes a human magnet and starts winning big at roulette in Vegas), but listed at 115 and 118 are the "Bilko fathering Bing Crosby's sons" (although the other Bing Crosby episode seems OK) and the McGuire Sisters episodes. (Then again, you never know who is playing a bit part in an episode - I think Harry Morgan is the roulette croupier in the Vegas episode, and maybe his estate has a problem with it.)

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by ThatDonGuy

Anybody have any idea which episodes those are? I have seen two different episode guides, with two slightly different numbering lists.

68 is almost certainly the Sam Snead episode.

89 is probably either the Kay Kendall episode or the one with Dick Van Dyke as Bilko's cousin (I don't see why the latter would be on an unavailable list, as the other Dick Van Dyke episode - where he is a baseball pitcher - isn't on it (and, in fact, would be more likely to be on it as it includes Red Barber, Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, and Phil Rizzuto)).

Both lists have 117 and 119 as fairly nondescript episodes (the chaplain wants Bilko to keep a boys' club out of the hands of developers; Ritzik becomes a human magnet and starts winning big at roulette in Vegas), but listed at 115 and 118 are the "Bilko fathering Bing Crosby's sons" (although the other Bing Crosby episode seems OK) and the McGuire Sisters episodes. (Then again, you never know who is playing a bit part in an episode - I think Harry Morgan is the roulette croupier in the Vegas episode, and maybe his estate has a problem with it.)
OK. Here is my guess as to the 4 "missing" episodes. This is based on many countless showings of the series on the BBC ( and just in case our American cousins don't know, we British love Bilko and Phil Silvers), where these 4 titles were not shown.

SHOW SEGMENTS
CROSBYS AND THE BILKOS
MEETS KAY KENDALL
MCGUIRE SISTERS

ThatDonGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Del Grande
Originally Posted by Nick Eden
OK. Here is my guess as to the 4 "missing" episodes. This is based on many countless showings of the series on the BBC ( and just in case our American cousins don't know, we British love Bilko and Phil Silvers), where these 4 titles were not shown.

SHOW SEGMENTS
CROSBYS AND THE BILKOS
MEETS KAY KENDALL
MCGUIRE SISTERS
"Show Segments" has aired, albeit something like 30 years ago. (For those of you who have never seen this, it takes place "in real life" - the actors are "portraying" themselves - and they discuss scenes that were cut from other episodes (which are aired); for example, in the Ed Sullivan episode, there was a much longer version of Bilko's audition; also, in the episode where Bilko tries to sell everything he owns so he can give the money to a departing Ritzik, there was a scene from the auction where Ritzik buys some French postcards.)

The last two, I can understand (I have never seen these aired either), and I wouldn't be surprised if the reason "The Crosbys and the Bilkos" doesn't air is because Lindsay Crosby killed himself 20 years or so ago.

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Gary OS said:
     Quote:
I don't know what Neil's source is and doubt it's the same as mine, but generally he's been correct and our sources have matched up.  In this instance, unfortunately, I'm told that while Sgt. Bilko Season 2 was a possibility for a release, it was only a coin-flip type of possibility and that the coin landed face down, if you would.  In other words, as of right now I don't believe it's on the schedule for further releases.  If Neil has different news I'd love to hear it because I was in for as many seasons of this show as CBS was willing to give us (whether that be through them or a rental to another studio like Shout).
Gary "my crystal ball revealed many shows that were a coin-flip decision and almost all of them landed heads down for the 1st two quarters of this year - maybe the second half of the year will be better and some of these stalled series will be revisited by the studio and released" O.
Looks like you were on the ball when you posted this last year, Gary.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickGoodluck /t/309368/more-sgt-bilko/30#post_4002870
Looks like you were on the ball when you posted this last year, Gary.

Trust me, Patrick, I wish I hadn't been correct about that one. But the reality is that Sgt Bilko S2 was on the CBS schedule last year, but only tentatively. It was one of those "coin-flip" titles that might come and might not come based on various factors. The same was true of multiple titles around that time.

Gary "all we can do now is wait and see what 2013 has in store for us" O.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Hopefully '13 will see more Bilko. In the meantime, there is a wonderful FB page dedicated to Mr. Silvers:
The British Phil Silvers Appreciation Society
I'm not British and they took me in! :D

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rmw650 said:
Hoping it will come out next year, but we can wish right?
Steve Everitt, a Facebook friend of mine and member of the British Appreciation Society, said they had been in contact with CBS HE about them licensing the rights to the rest of the seasons and working out some sort of joint venture. Like The Beverly Hillbillies and other shows, the time is now for Bilko if it's going to be released. Constantly waiting isn't going to help the sales volume. :(

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Ron1973 said:
Steve Everitt, a Facebook friend of mine and member of the British Appreciation Society, said they had been in contact with CBS HE about them licensing the rights to the rest of the seasons and working out some sort of joint venture. Like The Beverly Hillbillies and other shows, the time is now for Bilko if it's going to be released. Constantly waiting isn't going to help the sales volume. :(
I was wondering if the British Appreciation Society has made any progress in licensing the last 3 Bilko seasons. Anyone?

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
LouA said:
I was wondering if the British Appreciation Society has made any progress in licensing the last 3 Bilko seasons. Anyone?
Steve said that when they contacted CBS HE they basically got stonewalled. They got some young guy who apparently had no clue who Bilko even was when they got the call back. :angry:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Ron1973 said:
Steve said that when they contacted CBS HE they basically got stonewalled. They got some young guy who apparently had no clue who Bilko even was when they got the call back. :angry:
Why am I not surprised by that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks