What's new

More SACDs and DVDAs announced! (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
From www.enjoythemusic.com
03 / 19 / 02
More DVD-Audio and SACD discs to reach stores in a few months. Silverline Records has already released a total of 53 DVD-Audio titles to date has now announced adding over 140 new titles in the months ahead. Planning to release six new 5.1 surround DVD-Audio titles each month starting in April, artists will include The Kinks, Bob Marley, Megadeth, Joey Ramone, Sex Pistols, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Styx, Widespread Panic and many others.
Meanwhile Verve Music Group plans to release three new SACD titles in June including Diana Krall The Look of Love, Ella Fitzgerald/Louis Armstrong Ella and Louis, and John Coltrane A Love Supreme.
Hoooaaaah! A Love Supreme!?! Mike Broadman, are you there?
Hello? Yes, your jazz recordings are in ! :D
Lee

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Can't WAIT to get Diana and Ella on SACD! That will be so awesome. Jacintha sounds good and all, but Ella is the queen.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Hoooaaaah! A Love Supreme!?! Mike Broadman, are you there?
Hello? Yes, your jazz recordings are in !
:laugh:
Golly gee, now why would that info spark my interest?
Thanks, man, you just made my day.
As someone who has a SACD player but not a DVD-A player, it is a bit disconcerting to see DVD-A getting 140 new titles. That format is moving much quicker than SACD.
It's OK if the two formats are able to co-exisist. I want new SACDs, dagnabbit!
A Love Supreme in SACD... that would sound sweet. To the best of my knowledge, this would be the first album from the Impulse! label to be released on SACD. I hope this sets a precedent- Impulse! has some of the most exciting jazz out there.

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Coltrane on SACD? Today is the first day I seriously consider investing in an SACD player.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Donald,

Are you aware that Coltrane's "Blue Train" is available as a 96/24 DVD-Video "DAD"? As is Cannonball Addrely's "Something Else". The Adderly disc is nothing short of stunning. Not sure about the Coltrane since I have the vinyl of that one.

NP: The Psychedelic Furs: "Should God Forget: A Retrospecive"

KrisM

Second Unit
I've got alot of the Coltrane Impulse discs, but I'm not sure if I would upgrade them to SACD. When I do finally get around to getting an SACD player, A Love Supreme will be one of the first discs I buy though. Its one of my all-time favorites. Speaking of Coltrane, has anybody compared the 96/24 Blue Train to the Mobile Fidelity disc? Is it worth the upgrade?

Regards

KrisM

NP Too Slim & The Taildraggers-King Size Troublemakers

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Lee- Do you have any album info for those artists you mentioned for DVD-A? Also since you're Atlanta local, check out the Atlanta HT group if you haven't: Link Removed
NP: Tony Rice Sings Gordon Lightfoot

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Philip,
That's great news about the DAD recording...I did not know that! :) I will look for this pronto.
Mike,
Glad I made your day! I have the impulse version of this and it sounds great already - imagine 2.8Mhz super audio sampling! :laugh:
Don't worry too much about the DVDA title proliferation (I confess to a bit of concern here also) because I hear we are winning the professional side of the war interms of DSD being implemented by engineers...
Lee

Greg Br

Second Unit
Mike and Lee,

I see you concerns but I think Sony is going to bring this on themselves. I am just getting into High resolution music, in fact my new player will arive on Friday. Since the only real combo player out there to chose from is the Pioneer Elite 47A and its $1000, how many people are going to by two dvd players and switch the inputs to listen to music.

Also as far as I know you can buy DVD Audio disks and at least play them in any DVD player but the same cannot be said for SACD, so in the past months when I have been bying new high resolution music I wanted to get stuff I could at least listen to until a player arrived, so I got DVD Audio. If Sony would just get over their powertrip and go in with DVD Audio players I think it would be a win win for everyone.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Greg,
A couple of points...
1. Most engineers believe the Super Audio sound is better.
2. DVD players can play DVDA discs but not at full resolution unless it is DVDA ready. This is the same with Super Audio players from Sony.
3. Many feel the higher sampling rate of Super Audio is better for archiving important recording sessions.
4. It is interesting to note there are a number of big labels in the DVDA camp also announcing releases on Super Audio like Universal's Gaucho by Steel Dan.
We do agree that one format would be great. :)
I would prefer it be Super Audio, however.
Lee
Woohooo! 300 posts!

Greg Br

Second Unit
I agree with you, I have not heard enough of either to make a case. I understand that I have been listening at normal resolution and not the advanced, that why I am getting a new player.

I also did not realize that I could play SACD's at normal resolution in any DVD Player(I had thought they were limited to Sony's, inlike DVD-A which can be played in any player that has a DVD symbol), this is good to know so I can by SACD's and just listen to them until I get a combo player.

KrisM

Second Unit
Greg,

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that alot of Sony's SACDs only had a SACD layer and therefore would only play on SACD machine.

Regards

KrisM

NP The Four Horsemen-Nobody Said It Would Be Easy

Greg Br

Second Unit
Thats what I had thought but based on Lee's comment refuting my idea that its better to buy DVD-Audio as they could play in Panasonic, JVC, Yamaha etc. before you even get your audio player. Unless you own a Sony you cannot even listen to the disk. Its useless without a Sony, that hurts the products expansion into mass markets.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Greg,
To clarify, most SACDs are "hybrid" in nature, meaning that they have a CD redbook layer that can be played on any normal redbook player.
In any event, you cannot hear any DVDA disc at full resolution unless you have a DVD audio ready player. This is exactly like the Super Audio situation where you cannot hear Super Audio unless you have a Super Audio ready player.
Hope that helps. :)
Lee

Greg Br

Second Unit
It does, thanks, I assume the disks are clearly labled redbook track somewhere on the CD. Here is my theory, say new CD comes out on SACD that I want and not DVD Audio, I could get the CD to listen to. I would think we are only a couple of years away from there being many high quality players with dual capabilities, at least I hope!!!!

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
I am a supporter of both DVD-Audio and SACD formats and I think they are both great...I have my own opinions of both formats but find statement like "1. Most engineers believe the Super Audio sound is better." puzzling...who ae they?, how many prefers SACD? I doubt anyone has surveyed the industry scientifically.

As for archiving. If it is an original analogue recording, it is worthwhile debating this issue (DSD or 24/96) till the cow came home(Even then, the result is based on personal preference and not conclusive in favour of any format), when it is an original 24bit/96Khz digital masters, like most newer recordings are, the format preference in archiving the recording should be clear, right?

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
Just a clarification.

ALL DVD Audio discs are playable in any DVD Players, although you can hear the advanced Resolution tracks (which is way superior) only by using DVD Audio capable players.

Only hybrid versions of (and the normal redbook CD Tracks of) SACD however is playable in a CD player without SACD capabilities. If it is not a hybrid disc, it won't play in non-SACD players.

Although All SACD discs will play in SACD players thus far, you will not enjoy the multichannel tracks if you have only stereo and non multichannel SACD players.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, thanks for the info. I had heard the announcement from Silverline on this board before, and I am not too excited about it. It does not seem that they have access to many of Sanctuary Records' artists' better titles. Furthermore, I don't believe Silverline will include discrete stereo tracks on their discs. If so, then :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:.
I am very excited at the prospects at getting SACDs of Diana Krall, Ella Fitzgerald, and Coltrane. That would be totally frickin' cool! :D
NP: An Introduction to SACD Chesky SACD sampler (specifically, "Well, I've Been To Memphis" by David Johansen and the Harry Smiths)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
KeithH,
Too bad you are not in my neighborhood - I have the Harry Smiths album in entirety on SACD! Trade ya for Mary Chapin Carpenter time*sex*love :laugh:
As for Silverline, I think it was referring to DVDAs os this is not an issue for us Super Audio fans :D
I was trying to be a peacemaker with the thread for a change by posting DVDA titles as well. :)
Sutjahjo,
Thanks for your additional clarification on the hybrid discs - I think we all have agreement on this. :)
I do, however, believe that the AES members I talk to overwhelmingly see DSD (the basis of SACD) as the new archiving standard for original recordings. Perhaps we can agree the best world is to do both real analog tape and digital recording where possible as most studios do. I think DSD is popular among engineers for archiving because the high sampling rate records more information (around 2.8 Mhz) and because it captures more instrument detail. It may be early to make definitive statements since the formats are both in their infancy. There are likely some real material sonic improvements coming.
Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks