What's new

More SACD and DVD-A delays... (1 Viewer)

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
I found this information on the Music Direct website. If it's true, it's a sad thing. I was looking forward to Jackson Browne and King Crimson.

Special update information:

The Japanese Beatles LPs are now in stock.

Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells 2003 DVD-A has been delayed until February 25, 2004. Neil Young's Greendale DVD-A is now scheduled for March 20, 2004.

INDEFINITE DELAYS:
Jackson Browne's Running On Empty DVD-A
King Crimson's In The Court Of The Crimson King SACD
Charlie Hunter on DVD-V and Vinyl
John Coltrane-Johnny Hartman SACD
Count Basie's April In Paris SACD
All Dorian SACD's

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I want at least 4 titles on that list. These delays are getting ridiculous. GBYBR is the only high-res title I've obtained in the last 4 months. It seems hardly anything has come out. Last spring when I got into high-res things were looking good. But both formats seem to be on life support right now, just waiting for the plug to be pulled. :frowning:

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
To be brutally honest, as crappy as the economy is these days & as bad as most music companies are doing, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if dvd-audio was dropped tomorrow by all the majors. Sacd would have slightly more chance of surviving but only by a slim margin. The independent labels that sell music in surround form? The situation would be reversed since dvd-audio is an open format & its software can be easily purchased from several vendors and uses existing conventional dvd pressing plants. Though I think audiophile labels will somehow manage to continue cranking out stereo sacd's for the fans of that format. But this is all relative--either format would be relegated to a even tinier format niche than they already are.

As I mentioned recently, I'm back to a traditional CD/vinyl stereo system and strangely enough, feel much less stress now over hearing about these delays.

Maybe DTS Entertainment will pick up the slack and start putting out more DTS-CDs for us cretins who think this lossy format sounds good and very much enjoy music in surround form.

LJ

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I've been trying to buy the mythical King Crimson for 2 years. I can't remember how many release dates it's missed. It's my understanding that it's next scheduled missed release date is in May.:D

John Milton

Second Unit
Does anyone know what happened to all those REM DVD-As which were due out last month? I want Out Of Time in 5.1 darnit. ;)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

I have fond memories of listening to that album when I was in college, or I think I remember;)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
CRIMSON KING on SACD! NO WAY!

Amazing if true-also I would love to see SACD or DVD.A of RENAISSANCE-esp mid period/BTM (TURN~CARDS/SCHEHEREZADE/NOVELLA)
Ive owned about 5 copies of that,(COTCK) from the orig to the Euro/Japan LPs, then the once-every 3 years remasters Fripp has put out.
I wish he would do a LP/CD replica of YOUNG PERSONS GUIDE TO KC, to complete the whole set of 'original' releases.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

I don't know about DVD-A, but SACD seems to growing in popularity amongst the classical set. Check out Audio Asylum for posts from listeners; some small labels seem to be moving toward only SACD hybrids for all their releases.

I have the feeling that SACD for pop/rock will dwindle and die. I think it'll succeed as a niche market for audiophile classical fans.

No matter what your taste is, SACD will be just a hard to find in a store as regular CDs. I was in a Busted Buy yesterday, and they had very few SACDs.

Doug

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

Gosh, I hope so, as long as jazz would still be cranked out on SACD as well (jazz SACDs is where the vast majority of my entertainment money is going these days).

Not that I particularly want the extinction of rock on SACD, just that I don't care, because it's never been that great and I don't see it as the strength of the of the format. It's best used to bring us closer to the master tapes on classic recordings of old jazz and classical and to bring us stunning stereo and surround sound of new recordings, which is has done admirably.

While I'm probably the biggest Crimso fan on the board and would certainly get the SACD, I'm not expecting it or that dissappointed. The 30th Anniversary remaster sounds very good.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Not on that list, but another one I've been waiting years for... is Tusk by Fleetwood Mac. I will not buy the CD because it has at least one the tracks edited to fit the original 2 lp release on 1 CD.

ICE said it was supposed to be out late last year or so, but not yet...

And I think I also saw that "Fleetwood Mac" was supposed to be coming too.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

Quite right, Mike, & I apologize to jazz fans. I definitely see SACD thriving for jazz aficionados as well as classical buffs.

Doug

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Definitely true. More and more small European labels of quality are issuing. And it seems also to be happening in jazz.

There is more good news also. The new Diana Krall SACD is due out on the same day as the CD.

Ya gotta love "day and date" releases. :)

I am somewhat hopeful that DualDisc may prompt some more interesting DVDAs to come out...

There are some rumors about Rhino being gutted on Steve Hoffman's board as well as other Nashville operations of Warner. I wonder what the Warner Music Group buyout may mean for their hirez participation.

gregD

Second Unit

I just naturally assumed that distinKction was mine... oh well, back into the frying pan...

I'd buy any hi-res Crim they might care to release... but hi-res just doesn't look like it's gonna survive in its current state... maybe at a later time, in a better economy, a single idiot-proof hi-res format will emerge with the impact that DVD did, resulting in lotsa titles... meanwhile, if I can have DVDA/SACD as an inexpensive add-on that I can afford to lose later, fine.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
This thread plus some of the others around has me thinking that SACD/DVD-A will always be niche formats on the order of the lp, but never on the order of CD.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

I always thought the first Crimso to be released in hi-rez 5.1 should be Larks' Tongues in Aspic. Does that idea hike your skirt up? ;)

Doug

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Doug, that would be so cool. Can you just imagine the opening in surround sound, with the percussion sweeping all around you...

If I had my way, though, the new stuff would come out first. Hey, I may not know high-res, but I know what Crimson I like!

JonathanG

Stunt Coordinator

I hope not, in the states it is, but in the UK I have bought

- Feeder 'Comfort in Sound'
- Moloko 'Statues'
- Art of Noise 'Daft' and 'Reconstruction'
- Groove Armada 'Goodbye Country (Hello Nightclub)' and 'Vertigo'

(soon to order: Frankie Goes to Hollywood 'Rage Hard')

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks