More receiver advice please based on other components...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anish, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Anish

Anish Stunt Coordinator

Okay so if I am not getting the Denon 5803 and am willing to go with the Denon 3802, I could do better in that price-range for the similar specs and get better component switching? If so, what brands are there to consider? A couple of names already
    suggested are the Pioneer Elite 49tx and the Yamaha Y1300... and of course which one would be the best one to get out of the lot?

This are the components that will be plugging into the receiver in my setup:

- Panasonic 50" plasma screen TV (PT-50PHD4-P or PT-50PD3-P)
    - Anthony Gallo HT speakers (6.1) 100W RMS each and 240W RMS powered sub.
    - Panasonic DVD-RP82 (or JVC 502, if the Panny RP82 does not play SVCDs)
    - I will also have a satellite receiver plugged into this receiver as well
    - Possible Playstation 2 hookup in the near future
    - Maybe a VCR hookup later on

Please suggest what receiver would be best for that setup, taking into consideration the power requirements, number of input requirements (using component inputs or whatever's best for that device) and component switching. I think I covered all the issues... right?

Thanks for your help.

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Are the 3802 and Y1300 in the same price range? I know that the 49TX is much more expensive than the 3802. I don't know if the Y1300 is in the same range as the 3802. I think if you could swing for the 49TX (and I know you can as you were considering the 5803 at one point) you would definetly be much happier with it. I would think that the 49TX would be hard to beat for the price ($2499 shipped?) unless you went separates, which are hard to find in that price range for a full 7.1 setup. Somewhere above $3-3.5 K is when you should start looking at separates for better bang for the buck and better savings in the long run.

3. Anish

Anish Stunt Coordinator

Yogi,

I think I want to stick in the $700 - $800 price range because it doesn't seem that I need anything bigger than that. You saw the devices that I am looking to connect to the receiver... power-wise the Denon 3802 is sufficient. I'd rather save the extra cash and buy other stuff.

But the only question that remains is component switching... is the 27mhz of the Denon not good enough... ie should I look at another brand that has 50mhz component switching, considering I have a plasma screen? Or should I stick with the Denon 3802?

4. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Anish,

Just stick with hooking up the component cables directly into the TV for the best picture quality. How many component inputs do you have on the TV? If you have more than one then when you do purchase a PS2 you can use the 2nd input. If not, the 27mhz is sufficient. Denon states that you will not lose any picture quality, and that ONLY on HDTV 1080i sources would the picture become slightly softer. Anything else like DVD or PS2 there would be no picture quality loss at all.

5. Anish

Anish Stunt Coordinator

Greg, so are you saying that it wouldn't matter if I hooked up the plasma screen to the receiver? How much of a difference would it be compared to hooking up the DVD player directly to the plasma screen?

Lastly, would there be that much of a difference between hooking up the plasma to a 3802 vs a 5803?

Thanks for your help.

6. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

5800 is a steal at this time.[​IMG]

7. Anish

Anish Stunt Coordinator

What is the difference between the 5800 and the 5803?

Does the 5800 also have 100mhz component switching?

8. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Go to the cructhfield and 6th AVE sites for info.on this beast. Then call around and get your best price and see if 6th will beat it with free ship! The amps are awesome.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I would also add the Pionner Elite 45TX that is coming out (or may be out already). It has tons of great features for a great price. Definitely take a look at it.

10. Anish

Anish Stunt Coordinator

Is there that big a difference between the audio quality between the 3802 and the 4802 expecially at lower volumes? Someone was telling me that the difference is quite staggering. He said that instead of the 3802 he'd rather get the 2802... or step up to the 4802 (don't even need to go to the 5803).

Any opinions on this?