What's new

More re-makes in the works (1 Viewer)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed the horrible acting in the trailer for "When A Stranger Calls." That alone is going to keep me away from that one, at least until it's out on DVD. I'll give it a rental then probably.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I saw the the Amityville remake in the theater before seeing the original a few days later. I have to agree that the remake was certainly an upgrade, but neither film was truly a masterpiece. If I ever wanted to see it again (maybe years down the road) I would choose the 2005 film. Sometimes you just need some mindless entertainment.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Off topic, but i'm wondering what you guy's think of Amityville II The Possesion?

Personally I think that the sequel is scary as all hell and towers over the original, but that's just my opinion.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I was actually pleasantly surprised by the remake of Amityville as well. Actually, as far as Michael Bay goes, his produced horror films (Amityville and Texas Chainsaw) have both been not terrible, with Amityville being an upgrade for me, while just a nice alternative, as opposed to a replacement of the original, although in the case of Amity, if I never see another computerized bug attack again it well be too soon.

Than again, these remakes seemed to stay truer to the source material, or at least hold the source material in high regard and with respect. As opposed to Starsky & Hutch, Dukes of Hazzard, Honeymooners, etc, which basically shit all over the source material.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Amityville II was really just one half original Amity, and then one half The Exorcist, right down to the ending. Then they threw in some incest for good measure. But all that aside, it really isn't a bad movie.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I don't remember it or the 3-D one specifically. I just remember them sucking. I was gonna get that MGM boxset on DVD, but never found it $16 since DVDSOON went under :frowning::frowning:

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I like the second Amityville a lot as well. I'm not sure if I would put it above the original, but it is close. Now, Amityville 3-D is pretty weak.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Which was the reason I didn't understand the backlash against THE AMITYVILLE HORROR remake. They actually did remake a bad film but no one seemed to like this one either. Perhaps I missed something but I found it quite refreshing to see an R-rated film with the sex, nudity, violence and blood, which isn't that common in today's horror films. I also found it just as creepy as THE RING. It's doubtful I'll ever watch it again but I enjoyed the 90 minutes in the theater.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
It's funny... no matter how obscure and bad a movie is, somehow a hundred fans will come out of the woodwork to praise it when a remake is announced. I'm telling you, they'll remake "Van Helsing" 20 years from now and people will talk about how great the original was. I guess it's like when somebody famous dies... no matter who they are they'll be praised as a genius.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I agree with Michael, it's nice to see actual horror movies ("Hostel" being the latest one I saw) these days, as opposed to the winking "Scream" type films. the problem with Amityville is basically, it's not a great horror story. The "facts" of the case would lean it better towards a supernatural thriller. But as a horror film, I'll take this one over the original. I think what hurt was Ryan Renolds is a tough sell as a horror/action lead.

I'm also by no means defending Amity as a great film, jsut a decent horror movie. Saying the remake is better and more enjoyable than the original is pretty faint praise in this case.

LOL! I can't believe how many people say that NOW about Van Helsing! This film is actually a top seller! I guess we shouldn't be too hard on the remakes when the "original" stuff that the studios turn out can be like this!

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Amityville II scared me quite a bit when I was about 10 years old. Haven't seen it since and really don't plan to.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
With "Hills Have Eyes" being released today, thought I would bring up this thread again. Here's an updated list of future and potential remakes.

Poseidon - 5/12/06 [The Poseidon Adventure (1972)]
The Omen - 6/6/06 [The Omen (1976)]
Flicka - 7/28/06 [My Friend Flicka (1943)]
Black Christmas - 12/25/06 [Black Christmas (1974)]
The Wicker Man - 2006 [The Wicker Man (1973)]
Hairspray - 2007 [Hairspray (1988)]
Prom Night - 2007 [Prom Night (1980)]
The Visiting - 2007 [Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)]

Adventures in Babysitting - TBA [Adventures in Babysitting (1987)]
The Birds - TBA [The Birds (1963)]
The Blob - TBA [The Blob (1958)]
Creature from the Black Lagoon - TBA [Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)]
Creepshow - TBA [Creepshow (1982)]
Day of the Dead - TBA [Day of the Dead (1985)]
Death Race 3000 - TBA [Death Race 2000 (1975)]
Farenheit 451 - TBA [Farenheit 451 (1966)]
The Fly - TBA [The Fly (1958)]
Halloween - TBA [Halloween (1978)]
The Hitcher - TBA [The Hitcher (1986)]
The Incredible Shrinking Man - TBA [The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)]
Oh, God! - TBA [Oh, God! (1977)]
Pet Sematary - TBA [Pet Sematary (1989)]
Phantasm - TBA [Phantasm (1979)]
Piranha - TBA [Piranha (1978)]
Porky's - TBA [Porky's (1982)]
Revenge of the Nerds - TBA [Revenge of the Nerds (1984)]
Swiss Family Robinson - TBA [Swiss Family Robinson (1960)]
The Warriors - TBA [The Warriors (1979)]
When Worlds Collide - TBA [When Worlds Collide (1951)]
The Wild Bunch - TBA [The Wild Bunch (1969)]

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Not so much a remake as an adaptation of the stage musical (Like "The Producers")

Jason

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
There's talk of a Sunset Blvd. movie along those same lines... based on ALW musical rather than the classic Wilder film.

Our newspaper did an article on remakes today and mentioned yet another horrific idea. A live action version of Kiki's Delivery Service!!

Also mentioned

The Lavender Hill Mob
The Bad Seed
Mute Witness
Logan's Run
Are We Done Yet? (another Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House remake)

And Zach Braff's follow up to Garden State is going to be a remake of the Danish Dogme film Open Hearts

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
My 2 cents on this whole remake issue-

I'm one who won't bother with them. IMO it's appalling
that a remake of The Poseidon Adventure is happening. I
won't even watch them when they come out on DVD. The
Longest Yard is one of my favorite sports movies, and
I thought the idea of a remake starring Sandler was
terrible. I guess Hollywood feels they will get their
production money back with recycled ideas and scripts,
and it's unknown what money they will receive to try
more fresh concepts.:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks