What's new

More re-makes in the works (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Are they still considering remaking Day of the Dead? So far i've enjoyed the remakes as much, or in the case of the first film, better than the originals.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Since this is now a remake thread, here's a list of upcoming and proposed remakes (I'm sure there's tons more)...

When a Stranger Calls - 2/3/06 [When a Stranger Calls (1979)]
The Pink Panther - 2/10/06 [The Pink Panther (1963)]
The Hills Have Eyes - 3/10/06 [The Hills Have Eyes (1977)]
The Shaggy Dog - 3/10/06 [The Shaggy Dog (1959)]
Poseidon - 5/12/06 [The Poseidon Adventure (1972)]
The Omen 666 - 6/6/06 [The Omen (1976)]
Flicka - 7/28/06 [My Friend Flicka (1943)]
The Visiting - 8/11/06 [Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)]
The Wicker Man - 2006 [The Wicker Man (1973)]
Black Christmas - 2007 [Black Christmas (1974)]
Prom Night - 2007 [Prom Night (1980)]

The Birds - TBA [The Birds (1963)]
The Blob - TBA [The Blob (1958)]
Creature from the Black Lagoon - TBA [Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)]
Creepshow - TBA [Creepshow (1982)]
Day of the Dead - TBA [Day of the Dead (1985)]
The Fly - TBA [The Fly (1958)]
The Hitcher - TBA [The Hitcher (1986)]
The Incredible Shrinking Man - TBA [The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)]
Pet Sematary - TBA [Pet Sematary (1989)]
Piranha - TBA [Piranha (1978)]
Porky's - TBA [Porky's (1982)]
Revenge of the Nerds - TBA [Revenge of the Nerds (1984)]
The Warriors - TBA [The Warriors (1979)]
When Worlds Collide - TBA [When Worlds Collide (1951)]
The Wild Bunch - TBA [The Wild Bunch (1969)]

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Revenge of the Nerds!? Hmmm, I wonder what production team will bring us that little gem, will it be 'Happy Madison Productions', 'National Lampoon' or 'American Pie Presents' which, let's face it, is the NEW 'National Lampoon'. :rolleyes

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe they are remaking Revenge of the Nerds. I watched that when I was 5 or 6 in 1985 when I first saw it and I still love it. It will be interesting to see how they remake Black Christmas and Pet Sematary.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
Stop with all the remakes! Will we be known as the film generation who had so little creativity that we couldn't even come up with new movies? apparently we need some new blood in hollywood.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

Not as absurd as remaking films that are only a few years old, like Ringu, Insomnia and Open Your Eyes... but I hear ya.

People turn out for them, so the studio's will continue with them.

I just wish they would at least remake bad films, and leave the leave good/classic films alone (ie. King Kong).

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Yes, but if your average filmgoer likes to go to the movies, he'll see whatever's offered him. So if all he gets on the menu are remakes, that's what he'll have to pick from. I think it cuts both ways.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Pet Sematary? Creepshow? Why? And why in the world are they remaking The Fly again when the last remake is only 20 years old? I guess Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street remakes probably aren't too far away after all.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Well to be fair, F13 wasn't original at all considering it ripped off TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE and was a cash in on HALLOWEEN. Then the majority of the "original" horror films of the 80s were nothing more than rips of F13.

One remake is fine with me but when we start seeing second remakes (ala KING KONG) then I shake my head.

Plus look at the bright side that remakes will bring us a new, SE of the original film.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

Apparently the "BIG" thing they wanted to do different in this version to make it "stand out" is have the character who turns into the fly in this version... actually fly! So basically, it's going to be Fly-Man or something.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Since remakes are going to happen....

Would you guys rather them remake it scene for scene or actually try and add original elements to do? Both remakes of THE THING and THE FLY tried different things to the point where they stand out on their own. Stuff like PSYCHO and KING KONG pretty much copied scenes for scenes. If we're going to have remakes I really don't see why some would get upset if they did try something original and not just make the same exact movie again.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
King Kong, while being pretty much a shot for shot remake, was different because of the technology used and also, and more importantly, had a director who poured his heart into the project, that's why it worked.

But generally I do think that remakes that go a different route work better than straight-up remakes. Zach Snyder who remade Dawn of the Dead used the basic structure of the original but infused it with his own ideas and themes and it worked IMO.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Neither...I'll just stay away from the theater even more than I have this year. I may sound cyncial, but to me the only good thing about a remake is that it tends to get the original released on DVD if it hasn't already been released.

Hollywood needs to get more original ideas. There are wonderful films being made by folks willing to try something different (Napoleon Dynamite for example), but they are few and far between. Unless you live in a major city with art houses, the local megaplex tends to stock up on these big budget remakes/sequels.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

King Kong isn't even close to being a "shot for shot" remake. Damn thing's twice as long as the original - it could only be shot for shot if the whole movie was in slow motion! :D

Jackson clearly used a lot of the original for inspiration, but it's not remotely "shot for shot"...

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

You're right, Colin. I didn't care much for the new KONG, but I don't know how anyone can watch the '33 classic and Jackson's new film and think they're the same, "shot for shot" or "scene for scene".

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
And even if the same things happen in the two Kongs, the tone of them is almost completely different. Jackson's King Kong is a very modern interpretation of the story, even if it's still set in the early thirties.

I've got no trouble with remakes as a concept, really - are they really worse than movies which are adaptations of novels? Besides, I think it would be a terrible shame if Shakespeare's plays were never performed after the sixteenth century because they'd already been done, or if musicians couldn't cover older songs. I do think that if you're going to do it, make it something new, and add your personal stamp to it - and creating something of one's own is a more impressive achievement.

Check the recently-revived "oh no, they'll screw up Battlestar Galactica!" thread in the TV area to see examples of how misguidedly reactionary anti-remake sentiment can be, though. It's a riot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks