More Questions regarding RP56

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luke Zhang, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Luke Zhang

Luke Zhang Extra

Sometimes during a transition from a scene to another, the my RP 56 lags a little bit. Why is this the case?

What does Anamorphic or Non-Anamorphic mean?

Why doesn't the RP56 has the scale functionality? I am pretty sure mine has an option to turn to different ratios in the Action Menu.

And finally how could I tune this player for the best Interlace quality? (I don't have a PS TV) Should I still get the Composite cables?

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Anamorphic, only in terms of DVD authoring, usually means that during a downconversion of a 1.78:1 ratio High Definition telecine master to a 1.33:1 ratio NTSC or PAL D-1 digital tape, the 1.78:1 image is electronically squeezed into the 1.33:1 frame.

When that squeezed image is stretched back out on a 1.78:1 widescreen TV for proper viewing you get approx. 33% more horizontal resolution since fewer or no pixels were used for the black letterbox bars on the top and bottom of the screen compared to a straight (non-anamorphic) 1.33:1 transfer where the electronic black letterbox bars take up more of the available pixel real estate, leaving less for the actual picture.

The RP-56 does not do auto scaling of non-anamorphic DVDs to pseudo-anamorphic presentations for widescreen TVs that lock into the FULL mode because it uses the SAGE/Faroudja de-interlacing chip. That model of chip does not include this feature (I don't know if Faroudja is working on that problem or not). The RP-91 does, however, because that is a function of the Genesis de-interlacing chip Panasonic used for that player.

You want to use component video cables as long as your TV supports component video inputs. The next best thing is to use S-Video. Unless you absolutely have to use it, composite video is the one to avoid.

Dan

3. JohnHN

JohnHN Stunt Coordinator

The lag in scene transition may be a layer change. (Most new DVDs have information encoded on two different layers that are glued together.) Layer changes on the 56 are slower than on some other players.