More questions on BFD 1124p

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sonnie Parker, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

If my connection from my pre/pro to a BFD is rca to 1/4", is there any benefit in using the XLR connections from the BFD to my HGS sub? The XLR's and 1/4" jacks (input and output) on the BFD are wired parallel and can be used either balanced or unbalanced. Just curious if balanced out requires balanced in.

Can the wing tips (rack mounts) be taken off the BFD? I don't have a rack....not to mention my equipment is all black.

Thanks,

SP

Edit:

I found a little more detail in the manual but not being familiar with balanced I/O's, I don't understand what it says:

2. Derrick G

Derrick G Stunt Coordinator

Sonnie,

If the HGS has balanced inputs then you can use an XLR cable to connect it to the BFD. You don't have to use balanced between the pre/pro and the BFD, to use balanced from the BFD to the HGS. You will get the noise reduction benefits on the run between the BFD and the sub, but not between the pre/pro and the BFD. Most likely any noise induced between the pre/pro and the BFD will still be passed on to the sub.

I'm not sure if you can remove the rack mount wings or not. Look at the wings and see if they are a part of the front panel or if they are just an "L" shaped piece of metal attached to the main unit by screws. If its the latter then you should be able to remove the screws and the wings.

Derrick G

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The rack mounts are removeable.

But then you're left with "holes" on either side of the unit. (I just taped over them with black electrical tape. I wanted the width of the BFD to match all my other eqp.)

4. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

Thanks fellows, that was the info I was looking for. I don't actually have a BFD in my hands at this moment. I downloaded the manual and started reading it, but couldn't find any info on the wing mounts. Glad they are removable. I think I understand XLR I/O's now.

Now, how can we get the silver to black? lol

Thanks again,

SP