What's new

More Questions about Bi-amping (1 Viewer)

Jason_S

Stunt Coordinator
What are the differences, if any, between passively bi-AMPING with two 200W amps and bi-WIRING with one 400W amp? For example, would one method be able to handle dynamic peaks better than the other?
I kind of get the impression from some people that bi-amping isn't worth the trouble unless you're actively bi-amping. Is this generally true? I can certainly understand the reasoning behind this assertion, but passive bi-amping must provide some improvement, right? It seems that some people don't advocate passive bi-amping, not because it degrades sound quality or anything, but because it's not worth the money over a single amplifier.
If I wanted to bi-amp a pair of Paradigm Studio 100's with four channels of an Outlaw 770, for example, should I notice an improvement over using a single [200W] amp channel for each speaker? I've been contemplating an upgrade for many months, and lately my eyes have been set on the Studio 100's and Outlaw amplification.
Your thoughts, please.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Jason:

My guess (and it's just that: a guess) is that there will be a sonic improvement, perhaps more for music than for HT. I can not tell you how large the improvement will be for two reasons: (1) I have know idea, and (2) I find ludicrous the common practice of "quantifying" subjective experiences (i.e., this amp provides 95% of the sound, for 50% of the money...").

As is always the case, let your ears, and wallet, be your guide.

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks