More PRONTO questions, please help! - *UPDATED* with even MORE questions!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I have had my Pronto TS1000 for 2 years now,
    so I really am not new to this remote -- just
    out of practice. I haven't had to update this
    remote for the past 2 years.
    I am having problems with the LEARN function.
    I found it easier to just put together a CCF
    file, install it to my Pronto via ProntoEdit,
    and use the LEARN function to program the buttons
    using Pronto and the original equipment remote.
    I put Pronto into LEARN mode. I face the ends
    of both remotes so that the infra-red faces
    each other. I push the button on PRONTO and
    then the button on the REMOTE (same buttons).
    I always get a FAIL response.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
    Circa 2000
    Home Theater Forum Administrator
    All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
    Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
    Email Packy [email protected]

2. DanKaps

DanKaps Extra

You're pointing the teaching remote at the back of the Pronto like pictured below? The learning eye is a small round "window" in the back of the Pronto.
    |-------|
    | |
    | |
    |Pronto |
    | |
    | |
    |-------|
    ^
    |
    |-------|
    | |
    | |
    | Other |
    | |
    | |
    |-------|
    [Edited last by DanKaps on October 11, 2001 at 07:11 AM]

3. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    That's right the learning eye is at the bottom of the unit not at the top.

4. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

I think you actually use the back end of the Pronto to input the commands from another remote.....right?

5. Dennis Kindig

Ron,
    The IR learning port on the Pronto is a small round opening on the BOTTOM end of the remote!
    Also, a method that finally made the programming click for me:
    Create a panel that consists of nothing but buttons, mine is 4 columns by 11 rows. Name this one "blank" or "template" and store it in the Macros area as a hidden panel (right-click, check Is Hidden).
    Create your device list, right-click on your template, Copy Panel, right-click on the device (DVD, for example), Paste Panel, right-click on DVD template, uncheck Is Hidden, rename to DVD Codes, for example. Do this for every device in your device list.
    Go into the templates for each device, label a button for every function on the original remote (within reason, I skipped a lot of sound fields for my preamp), and then learn those functions to the buttons on your device templates.
    Once you have learned all of your original remotes, take your Pronto over to your equipment and check the operation of all buttons on the templates. After you are satisfied that everything works properly, throw your original remotes in a drawer somewhere because you won't need them for much anymore.
    Move your device templates into the Macros area, right click on each of them and select Is Hidden. This prevents them from being seen via the Macros selection on the front panel. You should now have a collection of panels for each device in your system named something like DVD Codes, Preamp Codes, TV Codes, etc.
    The final part of the programming is to pull in some of those great graphics, build your control panels, use the Jump commands to navigate between panels, and use the Alias option to select IR functions from your device templates and build custom macros.
    I generally pull up my base configuration, open a source configuration for the graphics I want to use, merge it into my base configuration, and delete anything I don't use when I'm done.
    Good Luck...
    Email me or send a private message if you have any questions.
    Dennis

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I am such an idiot sometimes!
    Okay, learning eye is at bottom -- and
    guess what -- it learned!

Another Question........

Just downloaded a CCF file for my Outlaw
    1050 receiver.
    Now, I am guessing that these CCF files contain
    all the codes so once you download it to your
    pronto, it should work? Right? Well, this one
    does not.
    You see, I opened up the CCF filed and MERGED
    it with my current Pronto configuration. It merged
    perfectly. I just deleted my OLD receiver and made
    the new OUTLAW ccf my NEW receiver.
    Downloaded it all to Pronto. Looks great. However,
    nothing works in the OUTLAW menu (all the other
    components do).
    Finally....
    The POWER menu.....how do I get RECEIVER OFF and ON
    to work with the OUTLAW receiver (it was previously
    pointing to my other receiver). There is no LEARN
    function in the POWER area.
    Thanks
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
    Circa 2000
    Home Theater Forum Administrator
    All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
    Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
    Email Packy [email protected]

7. Bob_Hammond

Bob_Hammond Agent

If my memory is correct the Outlaw does not have discreet on/off. To turn it on, you can send a source such as DVD, CD, or VCR. Use the power code to turn it off.
    Bob

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Ron email me your CCF and I'll fix it for you. I've done a few Outlaw's before so I should have all the codes at home.
    ------------------
    http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

9. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

I wanted to upgrade my software as well yesterday and found out that the latest version of the software is still 1.05 for the TS1000 model. It has not been updated for over a year. Same thing for the firmware (or whatever they call it).
    Then I have problems running it under Windows XP (release version). Most of the times I learn a remote the program just crash. In a very few occasion it does not crash I can save it. Very annoying.
    Ron Birk

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Pronto edit runs fine on all versions of windows incl XP. The only problem people run into is that any OS based on the NT platform (NT,2000 and XP) don't have the serial inputs timed in the same fashion as the 9X OS's do. This isn't a problem with prontoedit but with the opperating system. Anyway the easiest way around it is to simply create the buttons as required then learn them from the remote. I will say this though...save and save often [​IMG] Also I've found the emulator to be the most unstable part of Pronto edit so I don't use it unless I've just saved the project.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Andrew Pratt on October 11, 2001 at 12:32 PM]

11. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Ron, look at your buttons in ProntoEdit and make sure the codes are there. If they were macros in the original ccf, and you didn't get all the panels brought in, you may have lost the codes.
    I prefer to take someone's ccf for a particular device, strip out anything extra, and save it so it only has the device I want. Then I open my ccf, and then open the new one using the merge option. When making my own I use a single hidden panel like Dennis describes. If the one you copied has something similar, but you didn't keep the hidden panel, you'll lose all the codes.

12. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

There is one common bug which needs to be worked around to prevent odd characters from showing up in alias lists of ProntoEdit. Search for "comctl32.dll" in the Pronto forum at www.remotecentral.com and you'll find some threads about how to fix this bug by replacing the comctl32.dll file in the system.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

13. Mike May

Mike May Auditioning

Ron, I tried to reply to your email, but I don't know if my response ever got out, so here's what it said:
    Hmmm, well, I'm a little stumped here. I use that CCF (as part of my complete CCF) everyday with the Outlaw. It sounds like what you did was correct as far as the merging goes. Did you try the Outlaw CCF all by itself? Do me a favor; open up the NumPad panel and double-click on the '1' button, in the command area it should say '[C] Learned'. Double-click on that (the 'C [Learned]'), this should bring up the 'Add IR' window. Click on the 'View IR >>' button. You should have a code there that looks like this:
    0000 006c 0022 0002 0157 00ad 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0041 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0041 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0041 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0041 0015 0041 0015 0041 0015 0041 0015 0041 0015 0016 0015 0041 0015 0041 0015 0016 0015 0713 0157 0057 0015 0e7b
    If you do, then it appears that you have the codes that I do, at least for the '1' key, but I would assume they are all there. The only thing I could think of is that perhaps Outlaw Audio changed remotes or something and the codes are different, although that sounds like a longshot.
    As far as the off button goes, that CCF is a part of a larger CCF. In that larger CCF the receiver is turned on before the Outlaw portion of the CCF is accessed, so there is no need for an 'On' button... although the Outlaw logo on the NumPad screen IS an On/Off button in the larger CCF. It doesn't work in the 'Outlaw only' CCF (the device only version you have) because the logo action references a panel that is only in the larger CCF.
    My suggestion would be to download my entire CCF and you can see the logo on/off code and maybe even see if that CCF will control the Outlaw, although there's nothing different in the IR portion of it. If nothing else you could do what I did and keep the panels and buttons and just learn all the Outlaw IR codes to the existing buttons. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Let me know how it goes.

14. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Ron emailed me the outlaw CCF he was trying to use. The problem with it is that for some reason there are no IR codes associated with the buttons. I've seen this a few times when CCF's created in one version of Pronto edit (usually) PE2.0 are opened with PE1.05.
    ------------------