What's new

More Preston Sturges - Miracle of Morgan's Creek? (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I found this news snippet on www.prestonsturges.com
COMING SOON
Paramount studio is preparing what promises to be a boffo DVD of THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK. It's progress will be posted here
This is great news for classic film lovers if this is true and they're really working on a "boffo" edition. I just want to find out what their definition of "boffo" is.

Barrie Maxwell

Stunt Coordinator
This may be true, but it won't be Paramount preparing the release. Universal owns all the Paramount titles pre-1949 and would be responsible for any DVD release. They may be considering another arrangement with Criterion as they did on The Lady Eve and Sullivan's Travels.

Barrie

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Paramount retained the rights to Miracle of Morgan's Creek after selling their library so it is indeed one of their titles (I own the Paramount laser). I wish Paramount still had the rights to their pre-1950 films as they are doing a great job in releasing their classic films on DVD (a lot better than Universal is).

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
This film is screamingly funny. It is amazing how it walks the Hayes office censorship tightrope so deftly. It is my favorite Preston Sturges film, and one of my all time favorite comedies. I have a dim recollection that Paramount may have retained the rights to this film since it was connected to its (somewhat loose) remake as Frank Tashlin's Jerry Lewis vehicle "Rock-a-bye Baby" from 1958.
...and wasn't that Ratskiwatski? ;)
Regards,

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Awesome news. Haven't seen this one yet but the little clips from the Preston Sturges: Rise and Fall of an American Dreamer doc looked good.

We also really need releases of The Great McGinity, The Palm Beach Story, and Hail The Conquering Hero

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Not to mention Mad Wednesday & Unfaithfully Yours. Actually Mad Wednesday is out in R2 -- can anyone comment on the transfer?
I think that Preston Sturges is one of the five greatest filmmakers ever.
Ted

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Good news indeed! Why we're on the topic of early comedies, does anyone have the Image release of Frank Capra's Lady for a Day? If so, how is the presentation? Just curious as I'd like to pick it up. Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks