More Pioneer Gripes

Discussion in 'Displays' started by TimmH, Mar 26, 2004.

1. TimmH

TimmH Auditioning

On the off chance that anyone remembers me, I'm back, and I'm complaining again. If I help keep one person from going through the trouble I am going through, I'll be happy.

If anyone is considering buying a Pioneer TV, please consider this CAREFULLY. I bought a PRO-520 over a year ago. The picture was "messed up." Something was wrong with the color saturation. Anyway, after a few months of hassles, I got a shiny new PRO-530. I've had it for 8 months, and now it is showing horizontal streaks. I asked Pioneer...they "didn't know." I called the local tech...he says it is a "known problem" that Pioneer knows about. Curious...I would think tech support at Pioneer would know about a known problem. Anyway, this is my SECOND Pioneer Elite TV, and BOTH have had SERIOUS problems. Considering the amount of cash I spent on the Pioneer Elite, I expect it to be near perfect. I've bought TVs at WalMart that have performed better. I am never going to buy another Pioneer. (If anyone wants to blame my dealer, I disagree...they didn't make the TV...Pioneer did.)

On another note...if I am able to get rid of my Pioneer, what brand should I look at?

Sorry for the rant.

Timbo

2. charlie o

charlie o Stunt Coordinator

i have a pro 530 and have a blueish spot about 1/4 " towards the middle of it. Its a little over a year old. Ive had no other problems with it. I just need to know what to do abouth the spot.

3. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Timm,

I don't know if you have been to the Home Theater Spot's Pioneer forum, but there is discussion about the "streaking" issue. Pioneer does have a fix that can be requested free of charge and have a tech install it. Some on the forum say they have had the streaks return even after the fix, and others have not. I know someone with a 530 who had the fix and the lines have not returned. I have a 530 and have had no streaking issue. You can find more on the Home Theater Spot Pioneer forum what you need to do to go about having the fix installed.

4. Dick White

Dick White Stunt Coordinator

I bought a 730HDi about 6 weeks ago and I'm still holding my breath and hoping. I had read the Spot forum thread before I bought it, and it looked like the fix for the streaking problem was working at that time and Pioneer was convinced they had solved it. Since then, a lot of people are still having problems with the fix installed; others are not (yet). I think mine was manufactured in January, and I'm hoping it was after the point that they made changes on the production line.

I really hope that I don't have this problem. I really liked my last Pioneer RPTV and so far, this one is terrific. I guess this will be the last time for everyone since I hear that Pioneer is getting out of the CRT business in favor of plasma.

5. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

I've seen several Pioneer Elite RPTV's and I've never seen a better picture.

So, once you get it fixed - I'm sure there is no better TV.

I couldn't get the wife to buy one or I'd own one.

I have a Tosh 57HDX82 which has a more than adequate image.

Mike

6. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons Auditioning

TimmH, thanks for the info. I was pretty dead set on getting a Mitsubishi no matter what, but I started doing some heavy research to assure myself that my decision was correct. I have realized that Pioneer Elite series are supposedly among the best so I was going to look into them just before I bought. Now reading this, I will possibly stay away and go with the Mitsubishi afterall.

7. Mike Carter

Mike Carter Agent

Brian, so you are going to base you buying decsion one 1 post of a problem with a Pioneer Elite TV! WOW, against the thousdands and thousands they sold!
    I have a 8 year old Pioneer that still amazes people! Friend of my has a 2 year HD Elite that is awesome..no problems. Pioneer Elite Plasma and RPTV are the best on the market...no doubt about it.
    Good Luck with you system...Mike

8. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Get the Elite set fixed, the streaking is a known problem, and you have a 2 year warranty. On a side note, the Pioneer set in no where near perfect.

"Considering the amount of cash I spent on the Pioneer Elite, I expect it to be near perfect"

The above is a very unrealistic expectation.

Regards

Gregg

9. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons Auditioning

Well I was set on Mitsubishi from the start, the Elite of course is probably at least $1000 more than the RP's that I am looking at. Spending more money plus dealing with getting problems fixed just doesn't interest me. Even if they are nicer in the end. If I could be assured from the place I bought from that the TV was updated and ready to go it would be a different story, but half the places are going to tell you what you want to hear just so you buy it.

10. Jim Douglas

Jim Douglas Second Unit

I've got a streaking red line Pioneer Elite 630. I've been trying since January to get the set repaired. It started streaking in October 2003
    I can't get the local repair center to call me back or do anything about it. The dealer is worthless. Won't consider a trade or refund. I'm now trying to deal with Pioneer direct to get the set repaired.
    When it works without the streaks it has a great picture but the hassle is really starting to wear very thin.
    If I was buying today I would own something different. That's just my case and my thoughts but I can understand someone shying away from them.
    Later
    Jim

11. Jim Douglas

Jim Douglas Second Unit

UPDATE.
    Pioneer OTS called me today and threw it back to the local repair shop to come out and install the fix. I've called this shop many times and given them all my information and then they never call back. They told Pioneer OTS today they have been trying to call me for over a week and can't get a hold of me. [​IMG]
    Maybe when I call them tomorrow I'll explain how these phone answering machines work. [​IMG]

Hopefully I'm getting somewhere and will get it fixed. It just should not take this much effort to get something done.

Later,
    Jim

12. TimmH

TimmH Auditioning

In case anyone is still reading this...I got the streaks fixed, supposedly. They reappeared about a week later. I'm still very unhappy with the set, and how Pioneer is handling the situation.

Brian, I think your decision makes sense, as I am obviously NOT just "1 post on the problem."

And Gregg, with all due respect, I think I deserve better out of a set that I paid so much for. Sure, I have a two year warranty, but what happens when the streaks come back after the two years are up? How much money do I have to pay to get a set that WORKS? Forget the "near perfect," I'd be happy with "comparable to my $200 RCA."

T

13. Dick White

Dick White Stunt Coordinator

I have started having the green streaks since my last post. Not bad yet, but it's pretty much a given that it will get worse. I'm still following some threads over at the Home Theater Spot forum. Pioneer still doesn't seem to have a lasting fix, although some people have been free of the streaks for months after having the "kit" installed. One tech in Texas came up with a new theory (spark gap) that sounded promising and I'm hoping it will pan out. I'm not looking forward to going through what others have experienced. At least I have a 5-year warranty with Tweeter.

14. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

A good shop to go to for repairs in Orange County/Long Beach area is Adam's Electronics.

I've dealt with them too many times. They are very easy to work with and their tech is excellent at what he does.

On the other side of the note, a friend of mine has an Elite and it is awesome. So far, no problems.

15. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

It's the end of the line for the elite crt RPTV's. That's it. There won't be anymore made. Game over.

Regards

16. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I have a 58" wide non-elite Pioneer. It is almost 4 years old and luckily, no problems.