More Pink Floyd SACDs in 2004?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Gordon McMurphy, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I bought a Pioneer 757ai (DVD-Video / DVD-Audio / SACD) this week and I bought Dark Side Of The Moon in advance and I really loved the stereo layer; the 5.1 was pretty good too. I know there has been a lot of controversy about this release, but overall, I was delighted.

Now, will we be seeing more SACDs of Floyd in 2004? I really want SACD editions of Meddle and Wish You Were Here.

Has anyone heard anything?

Gordy

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I would love to hear a SACD of The Wall, especially after seeing the prices for the Mobile Fidelity CDs.

-Dave

3. JordanS

JordanS Second Unit

I would love to see "Animals" put in either SACD or DVD-A. I think 'Dogs' is absolutely amazing; in my opinion, one of the best Pink Floyd songs ever. David Gilmour has some solos on there that are just ridicoulous (in an unbelievably good way).

4. Jesper

Jesper Stunt Coordinator

Jesper Nielsen
    I think we will see Pink Floyd on DVD Audio since EMI is working together with DTS.. So bring up the entire catalouge! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

The Pulse concert DVD was supposed to be released sometime now (October 2003)

Jordan - love the Animals album and i think its one of the most underrated albums.

Dave - dunno why The Wall hasn't been released in either format - they already have an existing 5.1 mix from the movie...

6. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Well the Wall has an anniversary coming up this next year. So maybe we will see a SACD or DVD-A hopefully.

7. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I think the only SACD release bigger than DSOTM would be the Wall, and I'm not just talking Pink Floyd releases. If the wall comes out in SACD,having that and DSOTM in the format will be a huge boost to it over DVD-A. Oh well, I've got the ability to play both so whatever way it comes out is fine by me [​IMG]

8. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

9. Dave Bennett

It's not so much that I think the Wall is a better album, but it's more well known I think (especially among the younger demographic). I'd bet more younger people know "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2" than "Money" (though I think alot know Money too). I prefer DSOTM too, Water's voice on many "the Wall" is just too grating. From a commercial standpoint, I think The Wall would be bigger than DSOTM, but I'm not sure I'd like it as much either.

10. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I really hope that Meddle comes out on SACD/DVD-A next year, as I discovred, to my horror last night that my CD copy has a BIG scratch on it and Echoes can't be played! Agh! How did that happen? You won't find anyone more careful with their music hardware and software than me. [​IMG]

Gordy

11. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

12. Dave Bennett

Gordy,
    the same thing happened to me. Out of nowhere some little "burs" appeared on my copy of Meddle and sure enough Echoes skips(right around the 15 minute mark). I too am always very careful with my discs so I have no idea what happened. The marks don't even look that big so I was suprised it messed up the CD. Nothing else skips of course(why oh why couldn't it skip on Seamus instead [​IMG] )

13. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

It has been reported (most recently in Uncut Magazine) that the Wall will come out in 5.1 SACD next year. No other titles were mentioned.

FYI-If you are a Peter gabriel-era Genesis fan like me, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is currently being mixed for 5.1 for a 2004 release as well.

14. michael_mo

michael_mo Stunt Coordinator

[FYI-If you are a Peter gabriel-era Genesis fan like me, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is currently being mixed for 5.1 for a 2004 release as well.]

Interesting. I find this double disc very similar to the Wall. The first 3 sides (of the 'albums') are great, but side 4 on each really tails off in music quality. I find myself ALWAYS turing off 'the wall' after comfortably numb is done, as I find the rest of the disc quite boring and unmoving. Same with "Lamb lies down". After "silent sorrow in empty boats" I quickly turn the disc off. The remainder of that disc seems like filler material.

I would be more interested in hearing "Selling England by the Pound" in high rez. Tracks 1,3, and 6-7 are some of the best early Prog-Rock ever done.

15. Kristoffer

Kristoffer Second Unit

Ysess the wall on sacd!

16. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

17. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Wowie, The Wall and Lamb in high-res sourround! Sweet.

Now we need Tales From Topographic Oceans, and the trifecta of self-indulgent double prog-rock theme albums will be complete. [​IMG]

The only double album I have in surround, I think, is Dylan's Blonde on Blonde, of which I have not yet listened to the surround track but I hope to tonight. But Lamb in surround- wow, that's gotta be a hoot.

18. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Another Brick in the Wall Pt.1 on SACD AND in surround...[​IMG]

19. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

20. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer