More Panasonic RP-82s on the way?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam_R, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

Well, I knew it would happen. I delayed the purchase of an RP82 long enough that there aren't any more to be found. I tried to contact Panasonic via email and never got a response. I contacted a local dealer and he said the Panasonic rep told him that more would be available in a couple of weeks and that the product is not discontinued yet. I put one on order and it should arrive in about two or three weeks. This guy said he hasn't had one since Dec 16th.

Does anyone know the real deal from Panasonic?

2. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

Another question.

Is the CP72 really the same "guts" as the RP82? The specs seem quite different at Panasonic's page.

3. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

Word is out that Panasonic is not making any more RP82s.

Don't count on the specs on Panasonic's website - many errors have been noted. The critical internals of the CP72 are identical to those of the RP82. By all accounts, the performance and PQ are the same. The main thing the CP72 doesn't have is the coaxial audio out (the RP82 has both coax and optical).

The CP72 is much deeper than the RP82. One of the reasons I returned mine is because it is too deep for my cabinet.

By the way, you might want to consider the XP50, but I'm pretty sure it only had optical out as well. I tried out the XP50 as well, but returned it because the PQ (yes, after calibration) was not as good as the CP72, despite having the same mpeg decoder and FLI2200 deinterlacer. Something else was making a difference.

Tim

4. EdwinL

EdwinL Stunt Coordinator

Dude... Don't feel so down... YOUR GETTING A DELL!

No...no... honestly.... Think of it this way... the rest of the world owns an RP-82... and I mean EVERYONE... so when the RP85 comes around... you'll be the only kid on your block with the shinny new bike. At least... that's what I'm banking on. Hopefully, the RP85 is superior to and just as inexpensive as the RP82. Lets cross our fingers!

5. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

Is the RP85 supposed to have the same/superior components as the RP82?

6. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

I just got RP82 too. I asked the dealer and they said it's not discontinued. They'll be getting more shipments soon.

7. Bodo_K

Bodo_K Auditioning

I recently got my RP82 in Canada. I'm very happy with it and am using it with a Toshiba 34HDX82.

One interesting note is that the RP-82 is made in Japan. There are rumors that the model that is going to supercede it will no longer be made in Japan, but more likely China.