What's new

More Pan & Scan releases on the horizon! (1 Viewer)

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Studios read their sales figures, not letters. If the people who want OAR stop buying, then only people who want MAR will be buyers. Therefore, the sales of MAR discs will be 100% of total sales and studios will only release MAR titles. Great strategy!
If the studios did not read letters then they would not be re-releasing movies in MAR on DVD. Fox didn't decide to re-release SW:TPM in P&S "Just because." Something gave them the idea that it would sell, especially since they're doing it so long after the original release.

Your analogy is flawed, anyway. Enthusiasts buy more DVDs. J6P rents. When the overall sales of DVDs drop combined with a neverending flood of letters demanding the death of MAR, they'll do it.

But if nobody has the conviction to actually go through with it then nothing will change. I came to that realization while browsing through MAR/OAR threads on here.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
It's called cutting off the nose to spite the face. Very jihad. Not my style.
Whatever. To quote someone from another thread:

If you read the mission statement of this board, we are 100% Pro-OAR. There is no exception.

Live up to that. Otherwise it's more like "We are 100% pro-OAR. There is no except... OOH, shiny pretty things for me to buy!"

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I do live up to that. That means I buy OAR. I don't do asinine things like avoid purchasing DVD's altogether.

- Steve

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
If you're going to boycott the studios, do it over an issue that matters, like the attempts to make it "legal" for them to attack other people's networks and computer systems.

OAR vs. Pan-and-Scan is better handled by boycotting all of the Pan-and-Scan discs, buying the (good) OAR ones, and educating all of your friends who buy DVDs about how to get the REAL full picture.

When the retailers are stuck with lots of Pan and Scan copies of a major hit, while the OAR ones fly off of the shelves, they'll sit up and take notice.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
If you're going to boycott the studios, do it over an issue that matters, like the attempts to make it "legal" for them to attack other people's networks and computer systems.
You should protest that lunacy by voting out the moron Congressman who brought piece of nonsense up in committee. He did it on OUR dime, don't forget.

And if it is feasible for you - consider matching every dollar you spend on HT/music software with a donation to the EFF.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
And if it is feasible for you - consider matching every dollar you spend on HT/music software with a donation to the EFF.
Of course, by your rules, the EFF would get $0 from the HT software expenses, since OAR supporters can't buy HT software product from any existing company.
DJ

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Of course, by your rules, the EFF would get $0 from the HT software expenses, since OAR supporters can't buy HT software product from any existing company.
If one is serious about boycotting the studios (and I know you're not), then I'd say to donate to the EFF for each release you would have purchased.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Josh, I think you're pretty much alone in your sentiment so why keep it up? You may have a point in there somewhere, but what you're suggesting is an extreme position to take and no one seems interested in embracing it. Might as well let it go. :)
As far as I'm concerned, I'll buy only widescreen releases and leave it at that. There are other things to worry about in life.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Steve - you're right. i overestimated the mettle of many to really make a change happen. my mistake, i will drop the issue. but i will definitely read this particular part of the forum with great interest. hopefully there won't be an "i told you so" within a year from me.. but we'll see.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
well let's see if we embrace Josh's Mandate we won't buy OAR releases from studios that put out MAR versions. Which means all that will be sold are the MAR versions. Which will lead to the studio deducing that we don't want OAR. SO OAR goes away. Not too smart

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
i overestimated the mettle of many to really make a change happen.
So you question the character of anyone who doesn't agree with the illogicality of boycotting that which they want to support? Nothing like a little ad hominem to make your position even less desirable.

DJ

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
You know, if we really want to show the studios what we are made of, we should go on a hunger strike. I say we all stop eating, and drink only juice and water until the studios relent. If we organize and communicate this effectively, we can surely get some media coverage and make the general public much more aware of our plight.
Unfortunately, most of you may not have the 'mettle' or 'conviction' to carry this out. :frowning:

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Imagine if come November/December, the extended cut of LOTR: FOTR doesn't sell for crap.
Yes, boycott the deluxe, extended OAR cut of LOTR:FOTR to show them exactly how much all of us here at the HTF protest the lack of deluxe, extended OAR cuts.
That makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Josh,

There is the carrot, and there's the stick.

Dogs and asses are not smart, but they know when they get rewarded for doing something right and when they get whipped for doing something wrong.

We have to support OAR DVDs. We have to NOT buy MAR DVDs. That will get the message across even to the dogs and asses at the studios.

Carrot and stick.

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks