What's new

More on speaker placement (1 Viewer)

BobHaymond

Stunt Coordinator
I got worried when I read another post on speaker placement; there was advice to move the mains away from the wall. I have the CambridgeSoundWorks MC300 speaker system and had planed to spread the L/C/R across the same wall as the TV. In fact I thought I might sink them slightly into the wall. Is all of this a no-no?

I'll use an Onkyo 989, Sony KV-36XBR, Toshiba 3755

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
typically you want your front three spread across the viewing wall. you don't want the mains too close to the tv because that'll shrink the sound-stage. my mains are approximately three feet from the tv, about two feet from the rear wall and one foot from the side wall. it sounds pretty good.

when the thread said to move them away from the wall, they probably meant to just give them space.

i would NOT recess the speakers if possible - especially if the speakers are rear-ported. speakers need to breate and putting them into an enclosure is usually not a good idea.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Speakers actually vibrate in all directions. While most of the sound energy comes out the front, some goes out at 90 degrees and some out the back.

Yes, you can mount them on the wall/in the wall. And they will still sound good.

But they will sound "better" if you can pull them into the room away from near-reflecting surfaces.

High-end listening rooms actually have the speakers pulled 1/3 of the way into the room.

We are talking ... 3-5% "better" sound in your case. Not enough to really worry about.

My advice would be to mount them on brackets so you can at least adjust the angle. There are 3 typical ammounts of angle (called "toe-in"):

A) So the L/R speakers fire to intersect a point about 1 foot in front of the primary listening position.

B) So the L/R speakers intersect exactly on the primary listening position

C) So the L/R speakers intersect 1-2 feet behind the primary position.

So this gives you some adjustability.

Good Luck.

BobHaymond

Stunt Coordinator
My TV will be recessed into the wall. Suppose that I move the L/R to a mount a foot or so in front of the wall; would it be feasable to have the C ay the same as the TV?

Thanx to all for replies.

Brad Craig

Stunt Coordinator
"especially if the speakers are rear-ported"

What does rear-ported mean???

And how can you tell if a speaker is rear-ported???

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi
Look for a 'hole' in the back. It's where the air gets pushed out from the driver(woofer) moving inside the speaker box.
If you can't see a hole in the back, take the front grill off the speaker (if possible) and look for a hole in the front. Front ported gives you a little more flexibility in placement.
Most speakers are ported, the other option is sealed.
If you put a rear ported speaker close to the wall, the air bounces off the wall and can cause 'boominess'.
This is why you'll see posts about giving the speakers room to breathe.
Hope this helps

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Yes, you can have the L/R speaker more "into" the room than the center. This actually improves things because your center speaker is usually closer to you than the L/R.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks