What's new

More Night Court?? (1 Viewer)

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
Glad to see this finally. That was interesting that Ellen Foley was the female voice in Paradise by the Dashboard Light. I had no idea that was her. :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Yup.

My wife and I had "met" when she and her parents were regular shoppers, for years, in the videogame/computer store I managed. One day Meat Loaf came to town for a concert, and we each went - separately. The next day my wife-to-be came into my store wearing a concert t-shirt, and I was like "hey, I was there last night!" Thus the (slow...took over a year from that point to get serious) start of beautiful relationship between two Meat Loaf nuts.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

But I never made the Ellen Foley connection, and she had never watched the early years of Night Court. Then one day she showed me how her dad's friend in L.A. had sent a rare-ish CD to her, "Meat Loaf and Friends". I believe this was reissued later in a retail version, but with the tracks in a different order and with some different tracks...but she has the original version. The first track is "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" by Meat Loaf, with Ellen's vocals of course, and three other tracks by him are among the 12 included. The other eight tracks were by the "friends": Jim Steinman, Bonnie Tyler...and Ellen Foley. Whoa. Ellen Foley? Could it be the same one? Yep!

We found out it WAS the same Ellen, and that even on the "Dashboard Light" music video that was playing on MTV all the time (back then, anyway) the vocals were Ellen's, and that the lady shown visually on the concert stage with Meat (who put in quite the great performance!) is really just lip-syncing to Ellen's voice. She also sang with other bands, notably The Clash (the song "Should I Stay or Should I Go?," from their Combat Rock album, was reportedly written about lead singer Mick Jones' romance with Ellen!). Here's a pic I just Googled up, of Ellen in concert on her own:
http://www.newwavephotos.com/EllenFo...EllenFoley.jpg

You should hear those other tracks from Ellen on this CD I mention (yes, we still have it). We Belong to the Night, What's the Matter Baby and Night Out. I think it has a kind of "female rock power ballad" quality to the singing that most reminds me of The Runaways, the '80s girl band with Lita Ford, Joan Jett, Cherie Currie (seen in the movie Foxes) and others.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It's a little far off, but I'm really excited about season 2(I want it next week).

Here's to hoping WB continues and finishes this series.

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
I think Night Court is a good case of companies not putting a lot of thought into releases. Season sets are good, but in some cases a show took a while to find its audience before it became a hit. Trying to apply the 'if it doesn't sell well then screw it' mindset is just foolhardy. Especially with sitcoms since an entire season can be fit onto three DVDs and throwing out two seasons at a time wouldn't be an impossibility.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad the second year is coming, but to me the show really began to come into its own with the full-time arrival of Christine Sullivan in the third year. Also, we got Marsha Warfield as Roz Russell, and the gang was complete for the rest of the run.

stewprime

Agent
Real Name
Stew
I hate to say this but Warner Bros. has shown no faith in releasing this series for the past 4 years, so I have no faith in WB in that it will continue to release the series (other than in 4 year increments) after the second season is released. I'm most likely going to wait until season 3 or 4 ships before I choose to participate. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Exactly the kind of "logic" that leads to show being dropped. Because that's what the studios think when they spend money to release a show on DVD and it doesn't sell, then they cave-in to pressure from fans who say, "We love this show, give us more, we'll buy it!" and it still doesn't sell. When someone comes to the VP of marketing and says, "Let's release more Night Court, even though S2 sales sucked because everybody is waiting until the whole series has been released", that guy is going to say, "Fool me once..."

Anyway, I'm surprised that there weren't a bunch of posts about this show today, since Amazon.com sent out pre-order e-mails for the show. I, for one, will be buying, which will be one vote for continuing the series. "No sales" aren't votes at all, because the studios have no way of knowing who didn't buy their product.

Regards,

Joe

stewprime

Agent
Real Name
Stew

Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. There is absolutely no reason for me to spend $20-$30 on another set, just to get the 4-year cold shoulder again. I showed my faith as a consumer in Warner when I purchased the first set. And got screwed. It's time for them to pony up to the bar and prove themselves to me by releasing the next few seasons of the series in a respectable time frame. Until then, no sale.

Besides, with the economy in the state its in, WB won't continue with timely releases of this series. So I'll be exactly where I am now, only with an extra $30 in my pocket.

Oh, and that goes for The Drew Carey Show as well. Just one season release, bought it and nothing since then. Sound familiar?

David M.

Agent
I would love to buy it but none of the stores have it in stock. Even the websites for Future Shop and Best Buy list out of stock. I called some stores like HMV and specialty video stores and they came up empty.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I got it and S1 through Amazon. Amazon has a S1&S2 combo that cost more than buying them separately - go figure.

I hadn't known that S1 was out (I only had the "best of" disk.), so I'm not up to S2 yet.

My BB had it on Monday BTW.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Amazon sales rankings, especially this early in the game, don't translate to much of anything. You certainly can't predict whether or not there will be further releases based on them. The only thing we can really be sure of is that there won't be any more releases if S2 doesn't sell. So if you want more Night Court, buy it. I used a B&N gift card from Christmas to order my copy yesterday. Should be here early next week. Already own the S1 and "Best of" disc.

Regards,

Joe

David M.

Agent
Finally found the set at an independent store. Still none of the chain stores in my area have gotten any in. The store I found it in said they sold out of their initial batch and had trouble getting more in and took them longer than usual to replenish their stock.

It's great to have more Night Court on DVD and here's hoping for more in the future. Thanks Warner Bros.

Phyll

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up my copy at my local Walmart. It looks like they sold out. I think this is a good sign. Do you think that Night Court might be the exception to the rule that first seasons sets tend to sell better and things drop off. I think Markie Post Seasons will sell more. Warner Brothers really should get the cast to do commentaries. I think they would too. I miss it on tvland. I hope season sets continue. Let's hope.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
The problem is that this show might not make it to the Markie Post / Marsha Warfield seasons, which are probably the best known and most popular.

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
Indeed. Warner Brothers should have doubled up on the release schedule and put out a six disc two-season set just to test the waters on the glory days of the show. It's quite interesting to compare how a show from the '80s is suffering in the market of today, however. Do you remember when shows were given a few seasons to prove themselves instead of a handful of episodes? Makes me nostalgic.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Season 3 is reportedly set for release in February 2010.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Night-Court-Season-3/12910

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
The show picked up after Markie Post joined. I still love this show, because it was a classic show, especially with Judge Stone going nuts over Mel Torme.

I will be ordering this show, because it is perfect for my collection!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks