What's new

More New Shows I'm Dropping (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well the Latest to get the Boot from My Tivo Joining Firefly and Twilight Zone (the New One) Robbery Homicide Division and Hack. The Latter has a great cast but it's being ruined by some pedestrian Storytelling. RHD is a decent show, and I like Tom Sizemore, but His Al Pacino Impersonation is starting to Bug me. If I want Heat I'll go watch the DVD, and thestorytelling is a bit boring to me. I don't know Maybe I'm tiring of Police Dramas and I Love them. I've given the Boot to the two L&O sequels, keeping the original, for now. I'll be Keeping NYPD Blue and this seasons best Cop Drama Boomtown. The Latter is a bit uneven, but at least it's telling it's story ina new way. And I'll jump back on the Shield in Jan.

Anyone else dropping new shows yet?

I Shut off this weeks RHD and Put on MASH and you know waht I had a better time (gotta love classic TV)

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
I gotta agree about RHD. I couldn't even stay awake through the first episode. Unfortunate, as it was one of my more anticipated new shows. Definitely agree on "Boomtown". Aces. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
"Robbery Homicide" is teetering on the brink for me; just too many other good police procedurals on right now. I ditched "Push, Nevada" and "That Was Then" nearly as fast as ABC, and gave up on "Family Affair" and "Do Over" pretty quickly, too.

"Birds Of Prey" is on probation, too - it's got tomorrow to impress me or cede its valuable VCR space. "MDs" hasn't quite reached that point, although with Rene Echevarria leaving soon, it could easily.

For returning series, "Andromeda" is dead to me, as they procede to ignore all the Robert Wolfe stuff that made it fun.

"The Twilight Zone" - I would, but it's an anthology series, and there are too few shows dedicated to the short story right now. Besides, Ira Behr is employing a bunch of his DS9 colleagues and there's generally one cast member per hour that I want to see, so even though only 1 out of 4 stories is really decent, it's hard for me to write off.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Firefly is already off my list, as is American Dreams and girls club. I'm still liking boomtown, but it is on the bubble, luckily there is nothing on during its timeslot or else it would probably be gone by now. I'm still enjoying Robbery Homicide though.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Birds of Prey didn't even make the entire show to get bounced!

They should have called it Bird's of Depressed Goth Chicks.

Can someone please learn how to design a suitable costume?

Doug

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Birds of Prey didn't even make the entire show to get bounced!
A lot of shows improve after the pilot. If you are only going to watch half an episode of a show, I'd suggest starting with the second episode. Seriously!
BoP is on probation with me, and it didn't improve THAT much over the pilot.
I call it 'Batchicks'.
I love that name. :)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
While I have to admit that I have watched very little of any of the new programming this season (that isn't saying much either since I can't recall a single new show in the past four years that has been worthy of me devoting my time to)....have some of you given up too early?

Granted, I can point that finer back at myself...BUT...BOP #2 has at least made me want to go on to the third to see what they are willing to do.

Does anyone else think that maybe American television should adopt a British way of thinking, where a show is twelve or less chapters and then it is over?

Now...this kind of thinking is coming from someone that has missed what many of considered the best shows ever on television...Cheers, Frazier, Friends, CSI, ER, Home Improvment and Seinfeld are just some of the shows that are regarded as great that I have never given the time of day too. Do I feel that I have missed out on any of them...Hell no.

I really do believe that the concept of shows lasting a decade or longer anymore is growing limited. Not only because of the paychecks these people get and bitch about (Friends) but also because of most people and the lack to be able to commit themselves to anything that might require some sort of dedication.

The shows that I have listed above...simply, I could not find anything relatable with them...others did and bully for them. I am glad that their primetime's have been filled with laughter and drama. Personally, I find enough of both those things on a daily level than devote almost ten years of my life to a group of 'friends' that if it were reality would NEVER have anything to do with one another.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
CSI Miami - after each episode, I wonder what I stay up and watch it. I guess I don't need two weekly CSI shows (but I'll probably stick with CSI Miami for a few more episodes).

Without a Trace - it's already becoming too routine for me. If it weren't for Poppy, I probably wouldn't be watching it.

Both Boston Public and Girls Club are on my "hmm...Monday Night Football sounds like a better idea of fun..." list.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I am SOOO sick of sitcoms. I can't stand them anymore. I tape friends just because its the last season, but it really hasn't been funny at all. CSI Miami is not as good as the original, but its ok. I'm really liking Without A Trace, I didn't think I would, but I am.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well It looks like these shows are getting the nods from me and my Tivo:

Sunday Sopranos-Boomtown
Mon CSI Miami
Tues Smallville- NYPDBLUe-24
Wed Enterprise-Birds of Prey-L&O
Thursday Nothing
Friday Nothing
Saturday Siskel&Ebert

When they Return: Six Feet Under-OZ-Sheild-Dead Zone

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Really? This season of Friends has been one of the strongest yet, with Joey getting some of the best lines and general character moments. Ah well, to each his own.

I've managed to keep my tivo list minimal this year with hardly anything new taken on:

Sun: Alias
Tue: Buffy/Smallville
Wed: Enterprise/Birds of Prey
Fri: Firefly

Those all get recoreded on tivo and DVD-R simultaneously for archival. fits nicely, six hours. Friends gets tivo'd but watched later that night, and not DVD-R'd since the seasonal boxes are coming.

Only thing we dropped this year was Angel since they put it opposite of Alias. Alias cannot be missed.

Jodee

Screenwriter
So far I have dropped Push:Nevada, Hack, and That Was Then (actually I guess the network dropped me on that one.)
Still "on probation":
Boomtown (I have 4 episodes still unwatched I need to get to)
Birds of Prey
Girls Club
American Dreams
CSI:Miami
My two Replay Tvs are pretty busy:
Sunday:
Gilmore Girls (Beginnings)
American Dreams
Angel
Alias
The Practice
Boomtown
Sopranos
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Monday:
Boston Public
Girls Club
Everwood
CSI: Miami
CSI: First season repeats on TNN
Tuesday:
Buffy
Gilmore Girls
24 (starts nect week)
Smallville
The Real World: Las Vegas
Wednesday:
Enterprise
Twilight Zone
Dawson's Creek
Birds of Prey
Thursday:
Survivor
CSI
Without a Trace
Do Over
Friday:
Firefly
John Doe
I'll probably drop of the probationary shows or hopefully some will get cancelled. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's scary how close Jodee's and my TV recording lists are:

Sunday:
Gilmore Girls (Beginnings)
Alias
Angel
Sopranos
Curb Your Enthusiam

Monday:
Drew Carey
CSI: Miami
Boston Public
Girls Club

Tuesday:
Buffy
Gilmore Girls
Smallville
Real World

Wednesday:
Enterprise
Ed
Amazing Race
Presidio Med
Dawson's Creek
Birds of Prey

Thursday:
Survivor
CSI
Without a Trace
Friends
Scrubs
Will and Grace
Good Morning Miami
ER

Friday:
Firefly
John Doe

Saturday:
Nothing!

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Mike, it isn't a perfect science, let me tell you. I'm on my fifth disc of the season, and had my first error.

The way my setup is, cable comes into the house. Cable goes into tivo. Tivo feeds to TV.

Tivo also feeds out to Panasonic DVD Recorder. Since I only record six one hour shows at set times, I just manually programmed it to record at those times each week. So, when Tivo changes on Sunday to record alias at 9 PM, the DVD Recorder turns itself on and starts recording.

Where my error was, my wife and daughter decided to watch Dora the Explorer on Tuesday evening when Buffy came on. Buffy recorded fine to Tivo, but since the recorder takes whatever is outputting on the recorder, I got 10 minutes of Dora and then the rest of buffy.

But it works nice. Saturday morning, I just finish off the disc and pop it in a keepcase labeling which episodes are on it.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I dropped "MDs" after one episode, and "Without a Trace" after 2. I lasted about 3 eps with "Everwood".

I'm still hanging in there with "Hack", "RHD", "CSI:Miami", "Boomtown" and "Haunted" (love it)! Only Caruso is making me hang in with "CSI: Miami" right now -- the supporting characters are a bore. Rory Cochrane is SO underused and I've enjoyed him in movies.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Patrick, I'm glad I'm not the only one who watches so much television. :)
It's really starting to cut into my DVD time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks