More New Computer Questions....

Discussion in 'Computers' started by JimmyM, Jul 12, 2004.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Extra

Hi, I got to thinking earlier....my new computer came loaded with XP Home. When shopping around, most manufacturers explicitly stated "Dell/Compaq/whoever recommends Windows XP Professional." Is there any reason for this recommendation, other than the fact that it gets them more money? I wouldn't call myself a true Home user, in that I do care about stability and networking (soon I may implement a home network to split a cable line among four computers) and about being able to "hot rod" Windows to my liking. Does XP Home provide enough of these capabilities to warrant keeping it, or should I upgrade to Pro?

Upgrading to Pro would also solve my earlier concern about the lack of a true XP Installation CD, but I don't know if it's worth the cost. I have seen XP Pro OEM CDs available, but I don't think I clearly understand the OEM concept: is the CD a full install?

Also, I know that the Upgrade CD would work from XP Home, but if I were to upgrade I would want to completely format and start again, erasing any proof of previous Windows software. Previously, I have done this using a Windows 98SE Upgrade disc and using my old Win 3.11 floppies as proof, but XP won't accept Win 3.11. However, I do have an older computer with a 98SE install (albeit from an upgrade CD). I hope this doesn't break any forum rules, but are there certain files that the CD looks for from 98SE that I can put on a floppy and use as proof? If not, could I simply install the 98SE hard drive as a slave and use that as proof?

Finally, I am a high school student: is there any discount for Windows XP software available like there is for OfficeXP?

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Yes. You can buy XP Pro Academic Edition for about $89.

As far as real benefits to you, there are some (multiprocessor support, which isn't you; corporate network support, again not you; remote desktop support.. not you; support for 4GB vs. 2GB pageable) but the fundamental core is the same..

Now, that having been said, if you want to do it, yes, you can use a Win98SE full disc and it will use that to do a "fresh, full" install. IE, just format up the drive, it will ask for a disc that proves you own windows, feed it that one.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Extra

The problem is, though, the 98 disc is also an upgrade disc. Will it accept this?

4. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Yes, it will. It can be a 98 Upgrade disc. Will still work.

5. Tony Loewen

Tony Loewen Stunt Coordinator

Hey JimmyM, about the only reason I got pro loaded onto my main computer was for domain registration, which you can't do with home, and remote desktop support. I use this alot, I have a wireless network and my main computer is hooked up to the router, to the phone line (phonetools, good fax and answering machine), and the printers. I also have one laptop (integrated wireless) using home. Only the computer being accessed needs to have pro with remote desktop. I can connect to the main computer and check phone messages from anywhere in the house, and very shortly, I will be setting up the main computer as my HTPC driver, using the laptop (or palm pilot) as a "remote control." This is the only way that I know of to run applications off of another machine without getting into problems with registry and licensing crap. As a step further, I will likely go a little farther and set up remote desktop web connection, and hook up some sensors and webcams to keep an eye on the house while I am away on vacation. I'm not sure if you need pro for remote desktop web connection or not, but I already have it. I imagine you could likely use PC Anywhere or something like that as a remote connection, but as I said, I already have pro.

That, and again, domain registration, are the only reasons I could think of to go for pro.