What's new

More Multi-Region encouragement - Kurosawa's "Dreams" Warner DVD Review with scr caps (1 Viewer)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
We have reviewed the Warner Region 2 NTSC release of Akira Kurosawa's Dreams. This is a gorgeous film in a beautiful anamorphic transfer.
The complete review with screen captures can be found HERE.
Here are two samples:

If you don't have a region-free player, this is another example of why you should consider it...
Regards,

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Warner is releasing a Region 1 version in March. If the R2 version looks this good, I don't see why the R1 one wouldn't look as good or better.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Let's hope so! This is one of my most eagarly-anticipated releases...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The disc is coded for R1,2,3

The disc here will be the exact same disc. Order from Japan and get the snazzy packaging

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
That second image is simply stunning during playback, not that the image above is poor. But I don't think I'd ever seen such vibrant colors as that scene before.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
you can see the extensively larger proportion of R2 DVDs are better than their R1 counterparts... picture quality, extras etc.
Mostly because different studios release the same film in different regions.
Warner is releasing Dreams in both R1 and R2. And as Jeff said, the disc is region coded for 1, 2, and 3. Same goes for quite a few other Warner discs (Empire of the Sun comes to mind).

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Mostly because different studios release the same film in different regions.
I don't see how that would make the R2's better ( aside from the PAL aspect ), but largely it is different distributors that show the imbalance.
Why wouldn't you want the masterpiece "The Scent Of Green Papaya" in its original aspect ratio if you lived in R1 land. The Columbia R1 disc as well as being inferior picture quality and extras is Pan and Scan unlike its R2 France counterpart.
You can't even get the Palm D'or winning film of 1999, Rosetta, on DVD in R1. In R2 it includes another film, La Promesse, and director interviews.
Truffaut Box Set in R2 - this is miles ahead of it Fox Lorber R1 counterpart.
Kiarostami's "The Wind Will Carry Us". The R2 France has an entire extra disc of extras as compared to the bare bones New Yorker R1. Plus again the picture quality of the R2 is miles ahead.
Beau Travail, L'Appartement, Code Unknown all further examples off tyhe top of my head.
I have enjoyed Kieslowski trilogy Blue, White and Red while my friends without region free capability still wait...
TV shows, The Family Guy (I own), Futurama etc etc. are available outside of Region 1...
I would say simply look at http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com/ for further comparisons to support my arguement. There are exceptions, but they only help prove the rule.
Of course, if your extent of film watching reaches no further than Hollywood films like 'The Matrix', then, yes, you probably would be fine with a DVD player that plays only R1 stuff... ( this is not meant as an insult ! )
Cheers,

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's easy, Fox Lorber has always been a company that spends the least money possible. Meanwhile, the R2s are working in Truffaut's home turf. It's simple supply and demand. More demand= more money for better mastering/restoration

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I haven't even seen "Dreams", but being a huge fan of Kurosawa, and based on only two screen caps, I can't wait for this one (on Region 1).

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'd 'heard' that "ALL" or 'multi' region disc's were compromised in ultimate transfer quality, because of the combining of the two formats [NTSC & PAL].

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I'd 'heard' that "ALL" or 'multi' region disc's were compromised in ultimate transfer quality, because of the combining of the two formats [NTSC & PAL].
If the disc is flagged for Regions 1,2, and 3 then its mostly likely NTSC only. All of those regions use NTSC. R2 being Japan only obviously.

Bonus question: Are there any other multi-format (ntsc/pal) regions other than 2 & 4?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I don't think I've seen any all- or multi-region discs that actually contain both an NTSC and a PAL transfer. It's usually just one or the other.

DJ

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
No, there are no discs with both NTSC and PAL transfers on them

You never want an NTSC transfer made from a PAL source that originated at 24fps. Then you get less resolution, PAL speedup AND transfer artifacts

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Anyway, here's hoping that the Region 1 NTSC Dreams looks just as fabulous as the DVD Gary has reviewed. And I'm very much looking forward to the Region 1 NTSC Day For Night DVD to be released the same day by WB!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks