More Miyazaki? (Pt. II)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ShaunS, Sep 8, 2003.

1. ShaunS

ShaunS Stunt Coordinator

As the previous thread on this was closed (let's keep 19th century wars out it this time guys!) I thought I'd see if anyone has an update as to when Disney will be releasing some more of Miyazaki films, and which I can expect.

I've turned everyone I know onto the genius of Miyazaki through the previous 3 dvds released. I also grabbed Castle of Cagliostro shortly after and am dying for something new. I've held off of Totoro (English only AND pan&scan?!).

ShaunS.

P.S. have the episodies of the Lupin tv series that were directed by Miyazaki been included on any of that shows dvds released so far? If not, any idea when?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The next batch will include Whisper of the Heart and Porco Rosso, both have been confirmed to have new dubs produced by Disney. Word is that they are to include Takahata's Pom Poko with this set, but there hasn't been any word on that. Perhaps some exec actually watched the film [​IMG]. If I were Disney I'd probably replace it with The Cat Returns as it's newer and ties in with Whisper. The set was supposed to be out in the fall, but it doesn't look like that's happening.

Fox could not get permission for OSL, nor access to the new transfer since Totoro reverts to Disney next year, so they had to use what they had.

Miyazaki directed Lupin III Series 2 episodes #145 and #155, which means you're looking at somewhere around volume 30(a long time), and even longer for the few first season eps he was an assistant director on, since Pioneer started with season 2.

Buy a region free player now and as of November, all of Miyzaki's films will be on DVD. If you buy the legit R3s, they're just as good as the R2s and half the price. http://www.dddhouse.com

3. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

How about Nausicaa?

4. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

DELETED

5. Jeff Kleist

Nausicaa comes out on R2/3 DVD in November, opening the window for a US release sometime in the summer.

6. Tom Oh

Tom Oh Second Unit

Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind will be released in Japan on 11/9/03. I don't expect this to be released in the US until 2004 or later.

7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Psst... if you are region-free... the R2 Japan version of Nausicca will have english subtitles. Or wait a few months for a lower-priced R3 release (which is bound of happen). [​IMG]

8. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Jeff and Rob,

I think I read somewhere that the R3 versions are actually inferior to the R2s, in that they use a single layer while the R2s are double layer. Is that correct or am I thinking of something else?

9. Jeff Kleist