What's new

More missing dialogue on Artisan's "Reservoir Dogs: Ten Years" DVD (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
An exchange probably wouldn't include the cover. It would most likely be a disc-only affair. There's really no reason to pay to ship an entire DVD package when all you want to swap is the disc.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Bill -
I figured that. That pretty much ruins any collectability to the special covers if the package needs to be opened.

I am happy I didn't intend to sell one of these later.

Matt

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Does anybody have a phone number for Artisan? I was thinking of trying to call them about this.

This is the only place on the whole internet that I have found any information about the missing dialogue at all.

Matt

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
RESERVOIR DOGS is DEFINITELY a Super-35 film. The old full-frame VHS and laserdisc (as well as the full-frame side on the old non-anamorphic DVD) have massive amounts of additional top/bottom information that's matted out of the widescreen version.

The full-frame version in the new DVD set IS cropped like a true anamorphic film, though. It seems that they took the new 2.35:1 HD master and made the "new" pan-and-scan by downconverting that transfer. Seems like a bit of a waste of money, when they could've just used to old full-frame transfer.

I also don't get why it's so hard for some of these companies to include original mixes as well as remixed. As I recall, doesn't the new RESERVOIR DOGS contain a 2.0 Dolby Pro-Logic track? You'd think they'd just use the original Dolby Stereo mix for this, but rather it seems they've done a 2.0 downconversion of their remix. Stupid, stupid, pointless move.

Vincent

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
I just read about the missing dialouge so I checked my Artisan disc against my R2 version. The first thing I noticed is that the R1 disc sure has an UGLY transfer. I never really noticed until now, when I was watching the R2 disc too. The missing dialouge definately is missing though :frowning:
I can't believe that it was released with missing dialouge though! How can this sort of thing happen?

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
They remixed the sound from the unmixed seperated sound stems, and made mistakes during the remix. The same sort of thing happened with SUSPIRIA and DAY OF THE DEAD at Anchor Bay. Such mistakes wouldn't be so annoying if the studios in question included the original mixes as a viewing option in addition to their remixes, but they did not.

Vincent

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
Vincent_P Thanks for the reply, was one of those little questions that I always wondered about
Matthew Brown I'll do a serious check tomorrow and let you know.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
The (pretty old) R2 version is framed like the R1 SE, with the more loose framing. Which means you also see "the wall" in the opening credits. :)

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
The (pretty old) R2 version is framed like the R1 SE, with the more loose framing. Which means you also see "the wall" in the opening credits.
It may be 'old', but my God it looks fantastic! It's bright and crisp (with a decent black level) and yet still retains the muted colour scheme and lack of shadow detail that have become Reservoir Dogs' trademark. The film was shot on very slow stock (perhaps to combat the extra grain introduced when a 2.35:1 image is extracted from a Super 35 frame, as opposed to regular anamorphic) so shadow detail will always be lacking on Dogs. Sadly, Artisan's transfer took this to the Nth degree and it's a poor relation to the stunning R2 transfer.

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
Hello. I just thought that I would mention that the special edition slipcases (Mr. Brown, Blond, etc.) contain small 4-page booklets devoted to whichever character is on the cover. I have two of the slipcases, and while they are pretty cool for the fans, they don't contain any interesting information. They also contain some still images from the film, but the image quality (of the stills) is just as bad as the new transfer itself.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
As a matter of fact, I e-mailed Artisan's Manuel Casillas about two or three weeks ago and he told me that he expected the audio correction to be finished up by September.
Hopefully the new batch of DVD's will be marked somehow. it is probably too early to check stores to see if the ones on the shelves have the same UPC codes.

Matt

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator
Why is it that Day of the Dead gets a 12 page heated debate but no one cares about this topic? Nothing against Day of the Dead but its not like Res Dogs is a movie that no one cares about.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Matthew Marino -

I know what you mean. I have been trying to resurect this thread everytime it goes below the radar.

Matt

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Hey guys, I just read throught this thread, and it pissed me off what Artisan did. I will e-mail Artistan tonight about getting a replacment copy of Disc One, I figure if enough of us start bothering them, they'll give out a phone number for replacemnts.

Ziv L

Agent
I e-mailed them too. if we will all email them we eventually will have replacements for our discs.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Has anybody gotten any response recently to e-mails to Artisan?

It's funny how Quentin Tarrantino talks about all the stuff he wants to do for the Kill Bill DVD's yet he hasn't commented on the missing dialogue in Reservoir Dogs or issues people have with the framing.

Matt

Thanks or bringing this thread back guys. I can only post from work as it stands now, so I sometimes miss threads that slip through the cracks for a bit. I'll be shooting off my email post haste to do my part.
This landmark film deserves better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks