What's new

More MGM Midnite Movies in March! (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I'll be picking up LAST MAN ON EARTH/PANIC IN YEAR ZERO and VOODOO ISLAND/THE FOUR SKULLS OF JONATHAN DRAKE.

However I'm still not happy that MGM is making this line Best Buy exclusives. I still haven't picked up a couple of titles from the last wave because they're never in stock at the Best Buy near me.

I'm still not sure why MGM is sitiing on such great films as The Quatermass Xperiment, Burn Witch Burn, The Witchfinder General and Blood on Satan's Claw.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I barely remember the Movie the "Four Skulls of Johnathan Drake" but I remember as a kid the movie freaked me out. Gonna have to grab a copy I'm wy behind on my MM purchases thou

ScottCor

Stunt Coordinator
Damn!!!...good news, but I just picked up the single Midnite Movie version of At Earth's Core, hate when they do that..release a single version and then do a double feature later. They also did that with The People that Time Forgot, and Land that Time Forgot. It would have been nice if they had put At Earth's Core with Warlords of Atlantis instead of War-Gods of the Deep. I could have finished my Doug McClure quadrilogy..:)..oh well, will have to order the Region 2 version of Warlords of Atlantis when it comes out early next year.
Side question.... is there another name for Panic in the Year Zero?, I can't find it on IMDB.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Let's just pray MGM gets all of this stuff out before Sony gets their hands on them. I know SEs of THE BURNING and HOWLING 2 are coming later in the year so hopefully other lesser known titles like HOSPITAL MASSACRE can make it out. I doubt Sony would bother with any of this stuff considering they are sitting on plenty of horror classics already.

As for the titles announced, it's certainly great news. I believe one year we got three waves (April, August, November) so hopefully more will come. Hopefully MGM releases the 2.35:1 LAST MAN since most public domain discs got their print from the MGM laser I believe.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
As someone else asked - where is THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT? It's one of the best films MGM has in this series. Also, the 1958 THE RETURN OF DRACULA is very good - and it would make a fine double feature with the 1957 THE VAMPIRE (starring John Beal). I think MGM has that one too. Then we've got THE NEANDERTHAL MAN and CURSE OF THE FACELESS MAN...

But I'll be picking up the discs with PANIC IN YEAR ZERO and VOODOO MAN. Glad to see these are coming.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Woo hoo!!! PANIC IN YEAR ZERO/LAST MAN ON EARTH will be mine (if they're in their proper OAR, that is)! :D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

I'll probably pick up VOODOO ISLAND/FOUR SKULL OF JONATHAN DRAKE, too, though VOODOO ISLAND isn't really any great shakes (don't let the fact that it stars Karloff, and features Les Baxter music, fool you; it's duller than dishwater).

I hope the next batch of Midnite Movies (September 2005, maybe?) finally rectifies the MIA status of BURN WITCH BURN and QUATERMASS X-PERIMENT, which would be a fine double-feature in its own right, come to think of it. Hopefully THE MANSTER will get his due soon, too.

I hate the Best Buy exclusivity deal with these, too, but will endeavor to find a way around that annoying obstacle, as best I can.

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
Yesterday a postwoman knocked on my door and dropped me a package from DVD Soon containing two Midnite Movies/Vincent Price double-features - THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES (1971)/DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN (1972) and THEATRE OF BLOOD (1973)/MADHOUSE (1974) – after having almost given up on it completely since it had been about a month since it shipped! Who would have thought that this unexpected but felicitous event was a propitious omen for the new “Midnite Movies” announcement?

Anyway, from this next batch I plan to get hold of the following:

1.VOODOO ISLAND (1957)/THE FOUR SKULLS OF JONATHAN DRAKE (1959)
2.TALES OF TERROR (1962)/TWICE TOLD TALES (1963)
3.PANIC IN YEAR ZERO (1962)/THE LAST MAN ON EARTH (1964)
4.DIE, MONSTER, DIE! (1965)/THE DUNWICH HORROR (1970)
5.WAR GODS OF THE DEEP (1965)/AT THE EARTH’S CORE (1976)

Apart from the above-mentioned 4 Vincent Price films, I’ve yet to watch 1 other “Midnite Movies” double-feature I have in my collection – THE TRIP (1967)/PSYCH-OUT (1968) – and purchase another 2 – THE WILD ANGELS (1966)/HELL’S BELLES (1969) and WILD IN THE STREETS (1968)/GAS-S-S-S! OR IT MAY BECOME NECESSARY TO DESTROY THE WORLD IN ORDER TO SAVE IT (1970).

As for the “Midnite Movies” titles that are as yet missing on DVD, any combination of the following would suit me fine:

•THE MAN FROM PLANET X (1951)
•DONOVAN’S BRAIN (1953)
•A BUCKET OF BLOOD (1959)
•MASTER OF THE WORLD (1961)
•BURN, WITCH, BURN! (1962)
•PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES (1965)
•THE CONQUEROR WORM (1968)
•FROGS (1972)

Also, I already have DD Video’s R2 SE of THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT (1955) but I wish MGM would make their minds up and release THE CONQUEROR WORM and BLOOD ON SATAN’S CLAW (1970) so that I may see whether they add up to being an improvement on the current R2 SE DVDs of both films…before I plunge for Anchor Bay UK’s “The Tigon Collection” which is set to contain both films!

As for THE RETURN OF DRACULA (1958), Joe’s undiminished enthusiasm for the film never fails to stir in me a desire to view it that needs to be quenched sooner rather than later!

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for Burn Witch Burn and Quatermass Xperiment in future batches. My most wanted MGM Midnite Movie request would be Matthew Hopkins: Witchfinder General.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It seems likely to me that MGM execs don't bother reading this forum, otherwise they'd know about all the myriad requests for BURN WITCH BURN and QUATERMASS, etc. and would have put them out by now. Time is running short. Sony will almost certainly drop the Midnight Movies line.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I think the problem could be that studios do read these forums and they're well aware that many people have already bought the R2 editions. This is just a guess but region free runs wildly through horror fans so I'm sure studios can see what we're buying overseas and perhaps skipping in the US. There are so many titles that have been released overseas that might not ever get released here.

LAST MAN ON EARTH is a very good sign because it's one of the first times that a major has released a PD film. Perhaps if it sells well enough MGM would consider a proper disc of THE MANSTER, although this one here looks pretty good as it is.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the studios think anything about R2 discs. There are very, very few movies solely in R2 that don't make it to R1.

I also don't think the "if it sells well" routine really amounts to anything for MGM at this point. They're probably trying to put out every title they can in this series and make whatever money they can, while they can.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks