More MAME Help Please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Mansure, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

I ended up going with dos MAME and have got it to work ok.

The problem I'm runnig into now is which frontend to use.

ArcadeOS seems to be getting some really great reviews lately.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

One thing while playing games currently under dos MAME is the picture is being streched to fit my entire 17" monitor screen at (1024 X 768) which seems to be pixelating (sp?) and distorting the video playback of each and every game.

What can I do to correct this?

Will a frontend like ArcadeOS have settings to control this?

I'm also interested in purchasing a gamepad, which one do you use?

Some people have reported problems while using USB gamepads with dos MAME, should I get a regular ol' game port controller?

Thanks for any and all help.

Brian

2. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Any particular reason you didn't go with Mame 32? It's got the built in frontend, and overall I've found it easier to deal with than the DOS builds. As for gamepads, I'm a big fan of the MS Sidewinder pads, and I've also got an Interact USB pad that's pretty similar to the PS2 controller.

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Hey Brian!
    I agree with Chris, go for Mame32. I've been using this for almost a good 6-7 months now and its pretty damn reliable and a bit easier to deal with than DOS Mame.
    I would also suggest getting the MS sidewinder pad (the original if possible since it has the ability to daisy chain several controllers, Nothing quite like 4 player Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade[​IMG].). The original is for use with the game port and I have yet to run into any issues with it on Mame32 or any other emulators I use.
    You can probably find this pad on ebay for a decent price. I think to this day its still the best pad available. Microsoft rereleased the design with USB support but it lacks the daisy chain ability and feels allot "cheaper".

4. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Thanks Chris and Romier.

When I first ran MAME32 I had some video issues and lagging in game play so I went back to DOS MAME.

Since then I have done more reading and "tweaked" a few more settings with MAME32 and have it running much better.

I ended up getting the MS Sidewinder USB controller.

I looked every where locally for the original game port Sidewinder but I got too impatient and bought the USB controller.

I had some initial quarks but everything appears to be working fine between MAME32 and the Sidewinder gamepad.

Brian

5. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

I use the Gravis Gamepad Pro USB. Basically it is a PSX controller with a USB connection. MAME32 loves it!

6. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

there is also a post on the "Gaming Hardware" forum about Ps2 to USB adapters.

I agree this MAME thing is pretty sweet...

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Brian,
    The original Sidewinder is out of print. the only place its available is on Ebay and other auction sites.
    You might be able to find them in used shops as well.
    If anybody knows a good source where to get them new please share the knowledge[​IMG]. I'd love to get another one.

8. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

You can get a USB version with the original pad design. It may have one extra button, but other than that it's the same thing.

9. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

by the way,
    If one were to play Battle Toad, I bet that would be a pretty cool game. I would have to think.[​IMG]
    I really like alot of those old Line-graphics games like Star Wars.
    I tried a game from 1975, that was interesting....
    its funny I remember the first video game I ever saw at home was one where you put a plastic stencil over the whole screen and then the game passed light behind it to make it look like a ski race or something. I was pretty young then , so it is hard to remember. I bet it was sometime between '75-'80. My dad worked for Magnavox so he must have got ahold of something new.