What's new

More Little Rascals on the way? Is there a need? (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Thanks for replying. I picked up vol 1 and 7 from Sams Club for 4.88 a piece. The other five I ordered from Walmart.com for 5.96 each. So these are basically the 'replacement discs' we clamored for back when the collection came out - only this time we have to pay to replace.

It's not the first time I overpaid for something I wanted a lot. (and probably won't be the last).

David

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I got these 7 volumes, but haven't had a chance to view them yet. These volumes really take up space since single discs are in a standard size DVD cases, but on checking the contents of the discs, I see they are the same as far as titles and order, so I just swapped the discs to the nicer and more compact 2008 release package and will give those older discs (and newer packages) to some youngsters that can appreciate them.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by John Morgan

I got these 7 volumes, but haven't had a chance to view them yet. These volumes really take up space since single discs are in a standard size DVD cases, but on checking the contents of the discs, I see they are the same as far as titles and order, so I just swapped the discs to the nicer and more compact 2008 release package and will give those older discs (and newer packages) to some youngsters that can appreciate them.

I just got the 7 volumes and had intended to do the same thing, John, until I thought about something. For me, it's always a pain in the neck any time I wish to view a specific episode and I had to go into the box set, open the various flaps, and locate the booklet... then to go through the book in order to locate whatever short I wished to see.... try to locate which specific disc it's on.... and then have to deal with those double-stacked hubs with one DVD on top of the other. The more I get to thinking about it, it's so much easier for me to just have the 7 individual DVDs on a shelf where I can read their contents on the backs, and select the shorts that way.

Having said this, you're right that the Genius Box is much more attractive (why did they made the separate volumes so boring?), and it does save shelf space (but not that much, really). So I'm REALLY going to have to weigh this one out -- it's not easy for an anal collector like me!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
WASHEE IRONEE is available uncut on a Hallmark DVD collection (#3).

BEAR SHOOTERS was uncut on LD, but I don't know about any DVDs.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I found an interesting comparison on the new VOLUME ONE which nobody's spotted yet. The 'new' version here of MOAN AND GROAN, INC. may be 35mm and have the original titles, and may be of better contrast ... however, it comes at a price: this new print is shaky pretty much thoughout the presentation! It moves back and forth, most annoyingly. After the film ended I grabbed the old Genius Set and put MOAN AND GROAN, INC. on -- and although it was a "Blackhawk" 16mm reissue that looked lighter and did not have its original titles, the old film print itself was normal and still, and did not move about. So this was one of those cases where you have to utilize two sets to get a certain film, if you don't want it to move about. At first I thought perhaps the 16mm Blackhawk versions were used on the old Genius Set because perhaps the 35mm's weren't in as good shape, but that's not the case, because BOXING GLOVES and SHIVERING SHAKESPEARE (once Blackawk 16mms, now replaced with 35mm and original titles) look and sound better.
By watching these new VOLUMES, I can tell you that the Sound Quality is really exceptional... nice and loud and clear, so that you can hear everything perfeclty with not much surface noise - which is a Godsend when trying to view older shorts from 1929 and 1930.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for all the updates, Joe; they are much appreciated! Do the newer discs come with captions or subtitles? As you said, these earlier shorts could be tough sledding trying to follow the dialogue (at least on the old set).

On a related note, Dick Bann is also publically saying that, if all goes well, this fall will bring the long awaited domestic L&H set. These will not be the UCLA restorations (which are still being worked on) but will fill a major and overdue gap in R1. Fingers crossed this actually happens.

Speaking of L&H, a week ago I took a vacation to Minneapolis to visit the wonderfully restored Heights Theater to take in a screening of SONS OF THE DESERT. Seeing L&H on the big screen with a packed house of appreciative fans really underscores what comic geniuses these guys were. A Charley Chase short (Hasty Wedding) served as the opening act and was equally well received. Both prints were not restored but were on loan from the Library of Congress and were decent 35mm prints. Apparently none of the theatrical rental agencies carry L&H features. If a theater wants to show a 35mm print, they have to use Library of Congress, UCLA,, or some other archive. I imagine the same holds true for Our Gang unfortunately.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Originally Posted by Steve...O

On a related note, Dick Bann is also publically saying that, if all goes well, this fall will bring the long awaited domestic L&H set. These will not be the UCLA restorations (which are still being worked on) but will fill a major and overdue gap in R1. Fingers crossed this actually happens.

Who is Dick Bann? Where did you see this? Do you know anything about the source material or contents (other than L&H related)?

Lee Bombard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee
With all due respect how many years have we been hearing stuff like this only to be disappointed?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I know what you mean, Lee. I finally gave up this January and bought the L&H Complete Collection from the UK, for something like $40. If we never get a R1 Set, at least I have the UK one. But I'd probably double-dip if the U.S. version was good. Yes, we've heard this type of talk a lot of times over the decades. But from what I'm hearing, this time it really seems that it looks like it's happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks