More laminating questions et al....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Clay Autery, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Clay Autery

Clay Autery Stunt Coordinator

I hate trying to do a job without the right tools, but sometimes you just have to adapt and overcome...
    Went to Home Depot yesterday to get the WilsonArt 1595 107 (black) laminate and other stuff I needed to do the lamination on my flexi shelves...
    Looked through their entire stack and EVERY sheet was water damaged!! Geez... I knew it was going to be a long day! [​IMG] Called the manager to show him the damage and tell him the stuff needed to be taken off the floor... He thanked me for checking all the sheets and then offered to sell me the two best sheets at a 2 for 1 price... Cool.
    Then went looking for a good J-roller... then just any J-roller... none to be had. Had to settle for a linoleum floor roller... It works on the edges, but I'm afraid the small gaps between the three 2" rollers might cause some pockets on the 23.5" x 23.5" panels... I'm gonna try it anyway as I don't have time to wait on a V-300 to arrive from the only source online that I found...
    Then I went looking for contact cement... They ONLY had WilsonArt H2O.... grrrr.... this stuff takes forever to flash/dry. And I had to buy a gallon... It DOES work well though... just slow.
    I finally found all the other stuff I needed... tools, etc.
    Cut ALL of the laminate pieces this morning using a laminate scoring blade... A lot of work, but I got pretty good at it after a while...
    Then I started applying the edge strips... Do to my shop/space/time limitations, I am having to apply one edge to each shelf, dry, router, sand... repeat... I got one iteration done today. Hopefully, since all the pieces are cut, I can finishe the edging tomorrow. I LOVE my DeWalt router though... it's great.
    It took some serious concentration to keep it square on those 3/4" edges when routering the edge strips flush though! Gotta be a better way, right?
    And on every shelve, one side or the other would always leave a beat down glue trace on the shelf... The other side was generally very clean/flush... hence the sanding... Any idea what causes this? Maybe the edges aren't cut exactly square...
    In any event, I should be finished by the first of next week... I'm still waiting on the knife-edge screw inserts I'm going to use to attach the transfers to the "legs" on the bottom shelf. Machine screws will be stronger than wood screws, and will be removable in case I need to get to the bottom nut on the all-thread. The transfers cover the all thread on the bottom. I will be using thread-locker on those nuts to keep them from moving once set.
    Have to go get the flat black spray lacquer tomorrow to paint the hardware... I can paint while waiting for laminate to dry...
    I think it will go faster as I get more experience with the stuff.... Sure is a lot less trouble/time than painting/sanding... repeat ad infinitum. [​IMG]

2. Clay Autery

Between having to accomplish "Honey-Do's" for the wife (new Kenwood Excelon Receiver and 10 disk changer for her Cobra) and having to clean up/put up everything by 1500hrs daily, my laminating is going SLOW!!!
    Six shelves means 24 ea. little edges to do multiple coats of contact cement, wait for the water-based cement to flash, place the dowels, place the laminate strip, J-roll from middle to each end at least twice to make sure, wait some more.... flush trim/router the edges, and finally sand the edges flush where needed....
    Apparently, my circular saw (though I checked it at least 20 times) did NOT stay at exactly 90 degrees... Thus I have a barely perceptible "cant" to the edges.... Juuuuussst enough to alow the blade to ride away from the very top of the trim on one side of each shelf.... which produces a smudged down glue trail about 1/16" wide along the entire cut that HAS to be sanded flush.... grrrr...
    I still have one edge and the two flats to do on them yet...
    Anyway... It looks good! [​IMG] And likely... if I wasn't so freakin' anal, I'd be done by now. [​IMG]
    Good news is that I FINALLY got my wife to look at the carpet I picked out for the HT... She loves it... of course at $4.79/sq ft who wouldn't.... ouch! [​IMG] It's indestructible though... Should last virtually forever...

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

4. Clay Autery

Thanks Pete... fortunately, I had already come to that conclusion....
    I'm planning to use a 45 degree bevel bit set as shallow as I can on the flats to trim the extra back as close as I can... Lowest Common Denominator stuff... One side will be fine, the other will require additional work with a laminate file I am sure... Hard-learned lessons are the best... I will forever and ever verify that my tool is set up correctly on a test cut before duplicating "mistakes" multiple times. [​IMG]
    I glued up a "mini-shelf" to test the bevel trimming and the routing of the laminate from atop the pre-drilled all-thread holes... It'll give me an idea of where I am going to be headed on the "real thing".

5. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Apparently, my circular saw (though I checked it at least 20 times) did NOT stay at exactly 90 degrees...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "See honey, look what happened. I told you I NEEDED that DeWalt compound miter saw to match my DeWalt router. You don't want me to mess up anymore? Then things won't look good and you don't want that do you? How does that cd player sound I installed for you?"
    Try it on her Clay, you never know. I see a new yellow toy coming soon......[​IMG]

6. Clay Autery

Chris...
    Pretty close... [​IMG] I have a compound miter saw, but... (editing)
    "See honey, look what happened. I told you I NEEDED that DeWalt Woodworker's Table Saw Package with the 52" Fence, Table Board, Sliding Table, and Miter Attachment to match my DeWalt router. You don't want me to mess up anymore? Then things won't look good and you don't want that do you? How does that CD Receiver and remote changer sound that I installed for you?"
    I'll give it a shot... Maybe it WILL work. Tell you what though, I bought a DeWalt Plate Joiner last night from ToolCrib... I'm not building that 6-drawer media cabinet without the right tools. It'd be a disaster! [​IMG] I'm re-designing the whole cabinet and drawers.... The original design was VERY heavy on rabbet and dado cuts... I'm going to change all the joinery that I can't do easily with my router and change them to biscuited butt joints....
    "Now where is that Garrett Wade catalog... I know I saw a cabinet/drawer jig in there somewhere...." [​IMG]
    Just finished the remote changer install in the trunk of the Cobra and routed the wire to the front.... You know... there is not a single right angle in the trunk of a Mustang!!! I had to machine some custom 15 degree spacers, remove/disassemble the rear subwoofer cabinet and hand fit that changer to get it horizontal!!! Anyway, it is done, and I can go back to the HT-related construction again! [​IMG]

7. Clay Autery

Finished!!!
    Finally, my Flexi is complete. Now all I have to do is put it together (lots of washers and nuts) and fit it to my components...
    I've got quite a few pics of the project. I may or may not make a web page for it...