More juice???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DavidCooper, Nov 3, 2005.

1. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

I currently run a Parasound HCA-855A for my mains/center/surrounds. This unit is rated at 85w per channel.

My question is..........if I want to move up to the next level of power how much wattage would I need to move up to in order to improve my set up?

150 watts per channel? 200 watts?

Where do I start?

Thanks for the help!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Wattage alone doesn't tell the whole story. Technically speaking - watt for watt, you would need to go to 170w to get a 3dB gain in SPL, but that may not necessarily get you what you're looking for. I guess the real question is, do you NEED that much more power? What's the percieved deficiency with the current setup? Do you want it louder? Current setup straining?

3. John S

John S Producer

I'd move to at least 250 per channel in all honesty. That is an extremely nice amp your using. I'm a little surprised it is not cutting it for you in all honesty.

Those is some quality 85 watts you got going on there, I'd rank it higher than many other higher wattage rated products myself.

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

So much depends on your set-up.

What speakers you are using?
    Do you run them full range?
    Are you using a sub?
    Are your speaker low impedance (4 ohm)?

But, to give you a simple answer. 200 watts per channel is something of a benchmark. Many of the multi channel amps in the

5. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the input.....to tell you the truth I don't think there is anything wrong with my set-up. I think it pushes some amazing sound with great clarity.

I was just curious what moving up in wattage would do. I would be hard pressed to think it would be a big jump in what I have now. Especially for the money.

I kinda figured it wouldn't be a drastic jump though.....but glad you guys comfirmed that for me!

6. John S

John S Producer

That is a really nice amp, it won't buy you much over that indeed. Now the average AVR that is rated at 85 watts, it would be more significant and many wouldn't even call that significant.

7. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

Don't bother looking at 'watts'. That doesn't tell you much about what it's able to actually do in real-world performance. You need to consider current as well. Ideally you have high current AND high watt rating. That gives you headroom. If pressed for either, I look for high current.

The short answer to your question is additional wattage *might* give you additional headroom (the amount of additional volume you can add to the sound before distortion/compression sets in).

It really does depend on your equipment, and how you like to run it. All things remaining constant, if you never push your current system to even 50% of it's capability and you swapped out the amps with som big beefy monsters, I'd be surprised if you'd hear a difference. Of course if your current amps were pieces of junk, then you'd notice a difference at almost any volume. But they're not!