more January 2004 Warner releases

Discussion in 'DVD' started by oscar_merkx, Oct 9, 2003.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=5769

On 13th January 2004 Warner will debut three films directed by Sidney Poitier. Let's Do It Again, A Piece of the Action and Uptown Saturday Night will all feature 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen transfers, English Mono and the standard selection of subtitles (English, French and Spanish). Arriving alongside them and boasting the same tech specs is Superfly starring Ron O'Neal as a pusher who tries to make one last killer deal before kicking the business. Retail is $19.97 each.

Arriving on 20th January 2004 with a retail price of $19.98 each are the following barebones catalogue titles:

The Accidental Tourist - William Hurt and Kathleen Turner join Best Supporting Actress Geena Davis in the bittersweet comedy about a travel writer's unlikely new romance.

2.40:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
    English and French DD2.0 Surround
    English, French and Spanish subtitles

Best Friends - After five successful years of living and working together, a couple decide to get married. But what they don't count on is how to survive the honeymoon -- especially one that involves meeting each other's family.

1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
    English and French Mono

Everybody's All American - This film traces the life of a legendary football player, from his collegiate glory days and his brief pro career through his tumultuous retirement.

English DD2.0 Stereo

Swing Shift - A 1940s-era romance about a young woman who takes a job on a factory assembly line when her husband goes off to fight in World War II.

English and French Mono

And then on the 27th January 2004 we can expect to see a special edition release of Capturing the Friedmans, a documentary film that won the Grand Jury Prize at the 2003 Sundance Film Festival and looks into the seemingly normal middle-class Jewish family whose lives were turned upside down by shocking criminal charges against the father and youngest son.

For the retail price of $29.95 you can expect the following features on the disc:
    Anamorphic Widescreen
    English DD5.1 Surround
    Unseen home videos of the Friedmans
    Short film about Jesse Friedman's life today
    Short film by director Andrew Jarecki about children's birthday party clowns, which led to the discovery of David Friedman's story, and eventually became Capturing the Friedmans
    Charlie Rose interview with the director
    Questions, answers and heated debates captured by filmmakers and members of the Friedman family
    On-the-scene footage of the altercation with law enforcement officials at the film's New York premiere
    More on the case, including compelling new evidence, witnesses, and uncut footage of the prosecution's star witness

27th January 2004 is the movie debut for Charlotte Church with I'll Be There, a feel-good comedy about love and the power of music to bring people together. Presented in 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen with English DD5.1 Surround audio you will also find English and Spanish subtitles for the $24.98 retail price.

click the link for the coverart

[​IMG]

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The Accidental Tourist [​IMG]

3. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

I'm definitely there for the Cosby/Poitier films!!

BTW where's my WYATT EARP???

4. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I also just found out Overnight Delivery is on this list. I'll be getting that one.

5. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

Damn, no Quick Change?

[​IMG]

6. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

here are some added specs

The Accidental Tourist, which features an introduction by Lawrence Kasdan, a new scene-specific commentary by Oscar winner Geena Davis, the "It's Like Life" featurette and lifted scenes;

Everybody's All-American, which sports an audio commentary by director Taylor Hackford and screenwriter Tom Rickman, additional scenes with optional commentary, the vintage featurettes "Behind the Scenes" and "A Football Story";

Jonathan Demme's Swing Shift, starring Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell and which features no extras which is a shame

[​IMG]

7. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Accidental Tourist.

one of the films i grew to love after seeing/renting/owning on LD.
    The good stuff just keeps on coming...

8. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

I'll be first in line for Accidental Tourist. I'd be interested in Swing Shift, too, if they were to release Jonathan Demme's cut of the film. There's no way that'll happen, though. For details, check out this link and scroll down to the section that begins "Anyone Got a Copy?"

http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/elsewhere/22.html

[​IMG]

9. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    Great!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Now I can finally, at long last, let go of my old Reagan-era VHS tape of Everybody's All-American as this long, sought-after DVD will finally be mine!!!!! This was truly one of my fav movies from the late 1980s.

I also welcome Capturing the Friedmans, which I had the priviledge of watching on my birthday and liking concurrently. I will definitely re-capture them on DVD! [​IMG]

And YES![​IMG] to Superfly finally coming home to DVD. The soundtrack, IMHO, remains a seminal, timeless classic.

And those Sidney Poitier/Bill Cosby tag teamers...well, they speak loudly for themselves!!!!! [​IMG]

Thanks for the rundown, Oscar! This is so very welcome!!!! [​IMG]

10. Ric Bagoly

Ric Bagoly Producer

No Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid, eh? [​IMG]