What's new

more inputs please on Swans speakers (1 Viewer)

Jon Lane

Stunt Coordinator
Hi David, I'll always do what I can; thanks for your question. Swan doesn't share a lot about their operations, but last I heard, they had eight floors in two of their buildings totalling some 1,000,000 sq feet. I'll see if I can find some more data and pics.

As far as the previous rumor, I don't think it needs further debunking... ;)

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
Well I can chime in with regards to Swan's customer service. Not only do I have a wicked WAF factor that Jon helped me out with but he is always on the various boards answering questions. As far as my decision, I went with 5.2's and C3 up front. 2.1's in the back. I just talked to Jon and expect delivery next week. I will be pairing this with a pioneer 1014 and 2 inifinity bookshelfs for the rear surround.

Now I need to work on that Sub...

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
question about mounting the surround speakers.

If we are to use dipolar(R3) surround speakers, where should it be mounted? Behind us? Or on the side of our listening position? What if 2.1 speakers, beside or behind?

Thanks.

Neil

mikePay

Grip
I was about to buy a pair of BC 6.1s, but a really good bargain on a pair of new RF-3s came along. No regrets, but I'm really opting for some Swans. I guess I will indulge on my Klipsch for a couple of months before I move along.

Has anyone made a transition from Klipsch to Swans here? I'm very tempted to pick up set of BC 6.1s, C3, 2.1s in the future.

mikePay

Grip
Jon,

Can you offer any deals on the Swan 6.1BC HT System
or Swan 6.1BC Super HT System without the SUB? I would like to combine one of the HT Systems in the future with my arriving SVS 20-39PC+.

Thanks,

Mike

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator

Depends on the senario. If your using 5.1 they should be wall mounted in the rear. 7.1/6.1 you would move them up to the sides and use the 2.1's in the rear surround which dont exist in 5.1.

Same applies if using 2.1 instead of R3

Greg Labate

Stunt Coordinator
Any one use the R2s as surround speakers? I have the R3s but they are just too big for my room and they seem to overwhelm my 2.1s (especially only multi-channel SACD playback), so I'm thinking of replacing them with the R2s.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you have your system calibrated properly then the R3s should blend very well with your 2.1s. Have you calibrated with a test disc and SPL meter? If not you really need to do so. I would try that before returning the R3s because they are a much better speaker. The R2 uses a pair of small full range drivers (no tweeter) which is a major compromise in design (especially timbre matching). They are also a 4ohm speaker so you'll need an amp that is stable with 4ohm loads, most consumer receivers are not.

Hope this helps :)

Jon Lane

Stunt Coordinator
The R2 remains in production, but at TAI we've elected to make them a special order item. For the time being, I have a small number of both the R2bc and original R2 in Rosewood in stock for killer prices.

Greg, if I may say myself, the R3 is a simply masterful effects speaker. I'd also suggest a careful calibration before you make up your mind. I think you'll really like what a pair of R3's can do in the better HT setup...

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator
Even if Swan speakers were assembled (and I mean assembled not manufactured) in the same factory as Dogg Digital, it would not bother me personally.

In this "global" economy this is quite common and the real issue would be the components used to manufacture them not the physical location where it's done.

While a company may have many contracts to assemble speakers, it's the quality of the components used that really counts.

The factory in China simply serves several clients!

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
'While a company may have many contracts to assemble speakers, it's the quality of the components used that really counts.
The factory in China simply serves several clients!'

This is nuts. Could you give us one example of a factory that turns out poor quality and excellent quality at the same time?

And why are you mentioning Dogg Digital? Do you have information as to who assembles them? And what else they asemble?

Thanks,
David

VicBoz

Auditioning
Hello, this is my first post here and I have some questions about these swans. I went to the audioinsider message boards and there was a thread yesterday about one of the center channels. It presented some questions about why the C3 is listed at 8 0hm and not 4. I thought the author presented a good case but now the thread is missing? I have an older sony receiver and a 4 ohm center might be too much for it. Can Mr. Lane or someone tell me If the center is actually 8 or 4 ohm?

Jon Lane

Stunt Coordinator
Hi VicBoz,

Congrats on your first post.

The what-nominal-impedance-is-this-thing question has been around about as long as audio, and, with all respect, I think the question should actually be, why do we still rate impedance in nominal figures when the real test of how any given speaker interfaces with any given amp is so complex?

I think the answer is that nominal load figures are so easy to grasp...

As far as the C3 and as far as nominal impedance ratings go, from 0Hz thru about 1kHz, this model is indeed an 8 ohm speaker, as evidenced by it's load in the valley between fundamental resonance around 80Hz and the first crossover point around 1kHz.

In the mid-hundreds, which is also where a speaker usually displays it's nominal impedance, the C3 sums both woofer voice coils to around 7 ohms, which is a load considered to be close enough to the DCR (DC resistance) of the voice coil(s) to be considered an 8 ohm speaker.

As a rule of thumb, "8 ohm" speakers roughly have DCR's in the 6 ohm range, while 4 ohm speakers typically have DCR's in the range of about half that. At audio frequencies, these figures rise slightly to give us the approximate nominal figure. The only place the majority of dynamic speakers will show us about what their DCR is, is that area just above the fundamental system resonant peak(s).

If you're still with me, the C3 is, by this common measure, an 8 ohm speaker...but it does have a lower impedance than this in the upper midrange, where the combination of internal crossover network and filtering on the 50mm dome midrange and 28mm dome tweeter drop the impedance closer to a 4 ohm typical impedance behavior. Fortunately very little current is required at these frequencies and the speaker presents no difficulty to any reasonably competent amplifier.

If, on the other hand, a speaker combines a 4 ohm nominal load at low frequencies and a highly reactive impedance magnitude, then it may present the amp with a challenge. The C3 has been driven with everything from a 40 watt garage sale receiver to a 200 watt Krell without issue.

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator

David: It all comes down to the specs of the manufacturer.

If a company puts in a request for a speaker that is comprised of about $20 worth of materials you get a poor quality speaker. Which is what I assume Dogg Digital does, versus another company that has specs that require far better materials and components.

For a example I would say look at Pioneer, they put out a $140 DVD player and a $1700 DVD player. The owner of the more expensive one may consider the cheaper one "poor quality"

I have no information about Dogg Digital in particular. I was just replying to a earlier post and saying "so what if they are assembled at the same factory in China". Another poster had brought up that issue and personally I was saying if it was true, that I would not worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks