What's new

more inputs please on Swans speakers (1 Viewer)

TonyWright

Second Unit
I second that Rob, in every word you just posted.

Swan speakers are not manufactured by Dogg Digital.

The drivers are manufactured by HiVi Research. If you want proof, simply take a look at parts express. They sell HiVI drivers. You can easily see that these drivers are the same/similar to those used on Swan speakers. The binding posts on the back of the tower speakers are marked with the HiVi branding.

I can assure you these speakers are nothing short of amazing. The highest quality in every way. If you are concerned with this, please drop Jon Lane a line over at The Audio Insider. He'll fill you in.

I could post speculation as to the real agenda :angry: of the poster that started this mess, but that might just result in flaming. Not fair to Ronneil.

Fear not, Swans are great speakers. :)

Tony

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
Just to keep this thread on track ...

I opted to go for 5.2s up front, with a C3 anchoring the center. I didnt get rears yet. I might go ahead and get another pair of 5.2s for rear. Their height is good, and the price is not that much more than 2.1s plus some good, tall steel stands. I also listen to a lot of SACDs and DVDAs, so good rears are a plus.

The sound is real close to my other system, consisting of B&W 602s. I guess we will call that sound "neutral". Ive only done some rough comparisons between the two. As expected, the 602s (7" drivers) go a bit lower, the 5.2s have a bit more info in the upper mid-range (its got an extra driver). I havet really compared the "highs" between the two yet.

At some point in my system, I have owned JBLs, Infinity Entras, Polk RTi, Polk LSi, B&W, and now Swans. I have also heard several others (AE, Phase Tech, Paradigm, and Jamo), but I was not compelled to buy them. The B&Ws and the Swans are definately keepers.

Right now, Ive got the Swans paired up with a Pioneer Elite 54 and an HSU sub. The B&Ws are routed to an Onkyo 800 and a Titanic MKIII sub.

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Sigh with relief...

Thanks guys for clarrifying this critical matter!

To Jake S,

Please be careful next time. Even if you just heard it, don't share it as long as you can support it.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
I think I remember *other* posts from Jake. He is against all "internet" speakers.

You can "audition" speakers from online companies just as easily (if not, easier) as you can from a B&M. Most times you pay a shipping fee, but in return, you dont have to deal with pushy snobby salesmen, huge markups, and local taxes. The reality is that you can audition 3 or 4 internet-speaker brands, return the models you dont like, and still have paid less "overall" as compared to a similar B&M brand.

The "high dollar/high profit" audio shops dont like to hear that.:D

TonyWright

Second Unit
I believe Jake S has a B&M shop. I think I remember him posting messages in the past refering to himself as "being in the business" or something to that effect...

Tony

TonyWright

Second Unit
Furthermore, check out one of the ads on HTF directly outside this thread. Specifically the ad for Swan with a quote from John Johnson over at Secrects of Home Theater and HiFi.

JEJ doesn't strike me as the type that would say something like that if he didn't mean it. I respect his work and his opinion.

Tony

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
"Heard they're made in the same factory as DOGG DIGITAL speakers.... :) "

Didn't anyone notice the :) ?

Jake's post was in obvious poor taste but at least he made it clear he wasn't serious.

David

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
The funny thing here is that Swan (Hi-Vi Research - HQ in California) is one of the largest speaker brands (sold through B&Ms) in China (I think I read that on their "old" chinese website). Sorta like the B&W of China.:D

The Audio Insider imports a U.S. modified version of the Diva line (the line was originally imported by the "rocket" guys).

I believe that Hi-Vi Research (not The Audio Insider) is looking to introduce some of the other lines - hence their new website and the new color brochure included with all of the speakers. While Im sure they will be a good line, you can bet that the modified Divas will remain as the best value, AND with best sound.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
I have some photos of the Divas being manufactured (in China), but right now I have no way of posting them.

They wont actually show the "quality" inside, as they are not that detailed (not that close-up). Now the photos that MLS has posted of the rockets (over the past year) really show *everything*.:emoji_thumbsup:

Mine are too new to crack open (even though I open most of my electronics on day one). Im just too busy listening to them.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

Ha ha, I peeked inside the C3. Everthing seems to be made in-house (hence the value). Along with the Hi-Vi drivers, we have Hi-Vi wire, Hi-Vi circuit board, Hi-Vi caps, Hi-Vi inductors, ... (you get the point). Your not paying for any "designer" labels here. I guess if you want "marketing", you can always go with Bose.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I've had my 4.1s open and the drivers are of pretty good quality. They have a fully enclosed stamped back and seem to have a fair amount of excursion. From what I could see of the crossovers they had pretty large caps and inductors on a material that's similar to masonite. The look to be of pretty good quality but aren't PCBs (i'm not sure if that's good, bad, or doesn't matter).

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

The 4.1 uses the M5N shielded drivers and the TN28 tweeter. I think its pretty cool that you can get replacement drivers from the Parts Express catalog.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
All of the Diva drivers are available from Parts Express. I couldn't, however, figure out a safe way to remove the tweater. I would like to replace one of mine due to a somewhat dented grille (doesn't affect performance, just appearance).

Jon Lane

Stunt Coordinator
Nice thread, guys...

Just a FYI; Swans may be the only Internet brand that designs it's own drivers from the ground up. Swan specializes in a little-known technique of designing very low distortion magnetics and motors in all of their drivers. Their use of FEA is unique in my experience in this price category. Suffice it to say that the driver caliber in these models is top-drawer.

The cabinets are also true bentwood construction over multiple internal CNC-cut bulkheads, all covered with either real veneer with hand rubbed finishes, or the newer economy PVC photographic jacket for you savvy value-hounds. ;)

Swan has a fabulous jobshop, with all the latest numeric-controlled milling machines. The general cabinet construction reminds me of wooden yacht technique...lots of cold-molding, hand labor, and finishing.

Crossovers are also high-grade, with Swans own level-wound air- and iron-core inductors, and premium poly capacitors.

We were lucky in having Swan spec these items all together in one product line for us. We're having a ball working with Swan and look forward to many more years involvement with this project.

TonyWright

Second Unit
I am listening to my 6.1's in stereo mode with my new PB12-ISD/2 as I type this message. All calibrated. I cannot even begin to express how much I enjoy these loudspeakers. If I close my eyes, it sounds like Michael Buble and crew are right in front of me. Ronneil, I really think you will love these speakers. :):):)

They are not too bright (just perfect) and they image so well I can hardly believe it. I demoed them for a group of colleagues over this past weekend. Music and cinema blew these fellas away. None of these guys are into home theater at all, and after that showing, well, Jon you might be getting a few new orders. Ron and Tom over at SVS, they were most definitly impressed with your products. They all had brusied chins from jaws hitting the floor. :D

Incidentally, is there anyone out there using the 4.1's as their side surrounds? I am seriously considering this so I can move my R3's to the rear surrounds. Any thoughts>

Tony

David K.

Second Unit
you guys are just tempting me..

6.1's look mighty good, but if i pick them up I will be driving them with on a 50 x 5 hk surround receiver, I hope thats enough to efficiently drive swans all around.

the price is so sweet that im tempted into buying 6.1 surrounds too :)

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

Thats a lot of speaker (two 6.1s) for that receiver. Im sure others are doing it though (I wouldnt). I can imagine that you would not have much headroom. I like to "turn up" my system.

Now your talking FOUR 6.1s driven by that receiver??
Wow.

Jon Lane

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't worry too much about a HK driving Swans. The HK's higher than average instantaneous current delivery makes the Swans sound great.

With the 6.1's 90dB sensitivity, 50 "high-current" watts will surprise you, and you'll not hurt the amp at all.

We've had GREAT success with HK, Onkyo Integra, NAD, Rotel, B&K, and so on. If it has current headroom, it'll sound fine. :emoji_thumbsup:

David K.

Second Unit
hey jon thanks for the advice,

can you do use a favor and since your a direct US rep for swan speakers themselves can you squash the Dogg Digital factory rumor mentioned earlier and provide us with some background info on Swan factories themselves? Links would be great!

tonywrights comment got me all excited on how well the 6.1 may sound in 2 channel music listening, I currently use Mirage omni 60's and they are very live sounding, which is great for music, but I want some sharper focus/ clearer imaging.
thanks alot!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks