More Info on Pet sounds DVD-A

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Kleinberg, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Jeff Kleinberg

Jeff Kleinberg Stunt Coordinator

Not sure if this was posted before but thought some of you might be interested in seeing this. High resolution 5.1, stereo and mono, with seven bonus tracks. Done by the engineer who did the pet sounds box set. If he cant mix this right, at least stereo and mono versions are available. Can't wait two months, I guess I'll have to keep listening to my 180g vinyl copy.
    Jeff
    http://www.prosoundnews.com/stories/...r/1202.5.shtml
    more in depth tech info
    http://www.apogeedigital.com/users/users_linett2.html
    http://www.surroundpro.com/2002/october/feature1.shtml

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff, thanks for the info. I am glad to hear that they will be giving us both high-resolution stereo and mono tracks. The remastered CD has mono tracks too, which is great. I have not gotten the CD yet, but I've been meaning to. The DVD-Audio disc is definitely on my wantlist too. Thanks again.

3. Jeff Kleinberg

Hi Keith,
    I have the stereo/mono cd, and to my ears the stereo sounds much better. I appreciate a good mono recording(early dylan on sundazed), but the stereo mix is just so much clearer and life like. I cannot wait for this disc, it is like a dream come true. All these people bashing dvda, its just crazy, we get a 24/96 stereo and mono master of petsounds for home use. I mean the multichannel is gravy, I'd pay 15$ just for stereo.

Jeff

4. Jeff Kleinberg

Hey,
    Was just on Steve hoffman and unfortunately the DVDA does not include "hang on to your ego", which I actually like better than "I know there's an answer". BUT it includes an a capella mix of "I just wasn't made for these times" which is my favorite tune on the record, I can't wait to hear it. It will be quite a birthday present.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff, thanks for the comments regarding the CD. If Pet Sounds was recorded in mono, shouldn't the mono tracks on the remastered CD sound at least as good as the stereo tracks, if not better? Weren't the stereo tracks synthesized from a mono master, making them "fake stereo" tracks?
    I haven't read the discussion of the DVD-Audio disc on Steve Hoffman's forum yet. I should do that. Thanks. [​IMG]

6. Michael St. Clair

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, thanks. I was not aware that Pet Sounds was a multi-track recording. In that case, a new stereo mix could be done very well, assuming that the original masters are used and the folks behind the console don't go nuts with EQ.

I am glad that the mono mix is provided for nostalgia and for comparison to the stereo mix.

8. Michael St. Clair

From the second article linked earlier:

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, thanks for the information. Very interesting reading. I can't wait to hear the DVD-Audio disc.