More HookUp Please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobHaymond, Feb 27, 2002.

1. BobHaymond

BobHaymond Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] [​IMG] I have had a couple of posts on hokup and have read thru the search on hookup -=- the answers have been VERY helpful! Thanx to all. I believe that I'm actually getting somewhere. I can GAR-ON-Tee that I and others have issues left over. If folks are willin', I'd like to review some things I think I've learned for ctitique and then ask a couple of additional questions [for completeness, equipment to be connected: 2x sat recievers, hi-fi VCR, prog. scan DVD(CD), Onkyo989, Sony 38XBR450, CSW MC300 w/4x surrounds]:
    Please shoot if you care to
    Sat TV ==> S-video & digital audio
    VCR ==> composite & RCA audio
    DVD ==> component & digital audio
    12AWG from HD is sufficient for speaker wires.
    Speaker wires do not have to be the same length
    Since I have a good bit of $ invested [I'm also having a "wall" built and wires routed] I'll have necessary cables custom made.
    I have the AVIA disk and will get a sound meter.
    I have a super design for L/R speaker placement; from the front of the wall, all one will see is a 3/4" steel tube cantilevered out 20" with an essentially invisible 1/8" steel shelf. The wire will have entered the tube inside the wall. With a HotLink installed and recessed TV and components recessed behind solid doors, all one will see is TV frame w/center and two suspended L/R.
    I'd appreciate additional info
    In the hookup search there is a diagram supplied by Bill Catherall which I will try to modify for two DirecTV sat receivers(Sony). The 36XBR has PIP so I'm presuming that I can almost act like there are two TV's(is that so?) I would plan one channel to TV video 2 and VCR and one channel to TV video 1?? This would imply S-video & digital audio on both PIP channels for ease in switching. VCR could record one of these. I haven't learned the 989 yet(or maybe ever?); if I run both channels thru the A/V receiver will I still have the option of operating the TV alone?
    I see in Bill's diagram and a couple of other places, that the component video is going direct to TV; also S-video is going thru the A/V receiver. Why would the same device have two video routes to the TV?
    DirecTV has local channels but NOT their HDV fare[its surprising how difficult it is to get their salesman to say the word "no"]. I don't anticipate premium channels opting for DVD's instead so hence I'll not get a HDTV receiver at this time. Is DVD considered "HDTV" ?
    There are clearly evangelicals here! I hope some kind soul will diagram this for me and I'm sure for others.
    I really appreciate this forum. I WAS going to do this, but out here in the country I'd have spent a lot more and gotten a lot less.
    Bob Haymond

2. BobHaymond

Ooops. Like the Grinche's heart, my TV grew two sizes that day! Read: 36XBR

BH

3. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi
    One answer for you
    "I see in Bill's diagram and a couple of other places, that the component video is going direct to TV; also S-video is going thru the A/V receiver. Why would the same device have two video routes to the TV?"
    3 possible reasons -
    1. Component signals rarely pass an Onscreen Menu from a device - the S Video sometimes does (Composite always)
    2. Ease of use - i had my DVD hooked directly to my TV via Component Video cables. I also had my DVD hooked via S Video to the Receiver. When my wife watched DVD's she hit DVD on the receiver and was ready to go. When I watched DVD's, i selected DVD on the receiver (for sound) and switched the TV input to Video 4 (component).
    This allowed me to easily switch all Video through the receiver, but also have the best quality video connection for more 'advanced' users. (I setup a Macro to perform these steps on my Remote (RCA U810) so now i have removed the S Video from the DVD.)
    3. Some people doubt the ability of the Receiver to switch Video without any loss in quality - therefore, they prefer a direct connection to the TV if possible.
    Hope this helped

4. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Well, since I made the diagram I'll explain...(Paul's reasons are very good reasons, to explain why someone would want to do that). I put that in the diagram because someone in the thread had recommended doing it that way to the person who asked. So I added that to the diagram. [​IMG] I believe it was because of Paul's #2 reason.
    With regard to PIP: if you have only the digital audio from the sat receivers going to the Onkyo989 receiver then you will have to change inputs on the Onkyo to change what you're listening to. You could also run the analog audio from the sat boxes to the inputs on the tv as well. That way you don't have to use the receiver for casual TV viewing.
    I'm not 100% sure (about 98% sure) that you won't be able to do the PIP idea if you run both sat boxes through the receiver for video switching. But you definately won't have the option of operating the TV alone. The receiver has to be on for it to do video switching.
    I recommend you get a remote like the Pronto to make things easier on you. Potentially, you'll be juggling quite a few remotes just to do something as simple as PIP.

5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Bob, coupla thoughts here...if not already addressed...

1. TV Broadcast Audio: In addition to the DVD player's coax audio cable to the receiver, you want the option of listening to tv sound through the receiver to take advantage of Dolby Prologic Surround on many programs, such as HBO, Cinemax and Showtime. A coax audio cable wud run from the DirectTV box to the receiver's Cable/Sat coax input. You wud switch to this source on the receiver. (Your satellite STB also MAY pass DD 5.1 on certain programs if you subscribe to that package). Another analog link that may or may not be redundant is an RCA L/R cable from tv's Audio Out to receiver's TV audio in terminals, with its own source input switch on the rcvr.

2. TV Standalone Watching: I can think of two methods to use the Sony's own amp and speakers, bypassing the outboard receiver: (a) An RG6 type cable with F-connectors run from the satellite STB terminal to the tv ANT A or ANT B, or (b) run this cable to the VCR RF IN and then VCR RF OUT to the tv ANT input. Whatever input, you still need to scroll the tv's working input mode to get the picture/sound.

I am no expert here since I dont have satellite; I am just tryin' to help out...

I can understand not getting an HDTV STB in regards to the local channels, whether DirectTV must-carry or OTA, but does this mean you don't want to get the occasional HDTV programming available on satellite: HBO, Showtime and HBONet?

belated congrats on your anniversary....

6. BobHaymond

[​IMG] Great replies. All. Quickly, it looks like I run 1 sat thru VCR to TV; #2 sat will route much like the earlier diagram.
    Without a HDTV reciever I won't get any HD. I don't intend to get premium channels and don't anticipate much pay-per-view. The recievers are $500-$800 which seems out of line for the little I'd use it.
    I did think thru the remote situation and very likely will get a Pronto in due course. Thought I'd do all the juggling in the world till I kinda know what there is to deal with. I've never even had a decent TV before so there's a point or two for me to catch up on. My younger son has been giving me #$%^*&^ about helmets being adjacent to the players on SuperBowl!
    I'll be back at you guys next week: off to a weekend of mathematics, meat smokin', politics and refreshments.
    Thanks, BH