What's new

More hints at Star Wars 30th Anniversary DVD set? (1 Viewer)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

I think it's BLATANTLY obvious that they're saving this big announcement for Celebration IV which takes place in May. Most likely that will mean a late Oct. or early Nov. release just in time for the big holiday shopping season. Not really rocket science if you ask me.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I honestly would be more surprised if we didn't see an announcement at Celebration IV. It's the perfect opportunity for something like this. It's like MacWorld but for Star Wars fans. :D

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Thinking of previous Star Wars releases though (the prequels, the '04 set and then last years), didn't we know something more concrete by now? Even in the rumor stage? None of the rumors so far have "felt" that solid to me yet.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah but it's not like Lucasfilm doesn't know that the fans are anticipating a 30th anniversary set. If there wasn't one, I think LFL would have said something to the effect of "We're not doing anything for the 30th anniversary but we are putting together a set that'll be released in the future."

Personally, I'd like to see new transfers for at least Episode I, corrected sound issues (while I can't notice the switched surrounds, it still should be fixed), deleted scenes and the making-ofs from the OT and Episode I. As I've said before, I don't think it's going to be a huge Superman or Alien sized set. It'll be a relatively small set. They've probably made a few effects tweaks (Episode I's Yoda and maybe some others), if they added any new live action stuff, it was shot long ago and there probably isn't a new documentary so all that is probably why the rumor mill isn't going crazy.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

I think the '04 DVDs were announced sometime in March for a September release date so that would make a May announcement for a November(or thereabouts) release right on track.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Hey, I'm just trying to keep you from getting your hopes up because there's about 0.0% chance of the OT being offered in this set. I'm not saying I don't want it in pristine anamorphic form(of course I do), but there's just no reason for Lucas to offer it in this set so soon after the recent OT release. Besides, the biggest selling point of this set is going to be all of the additional changes that have been made to the films. I'm sure that won't fly with everyone, but it's almost a guarantee that's what we're going to get.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
There's quite a few scenes from EMPIRE that I'd like to see as well: the Wampa "sub-plot" scene(s), the first "kiss" scene with Luke and Leia, the removal of Luke's facial bandages, etc.

If they're planning on a DVD release for Star Wars' REAL anniversary on May 25th, I think we definitely would have heard something by now. However, if they're going to wait and release it for the Christmas shopping season, I guess we won't be hearing anything for several months.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This isn't aimed at anyone in particular but you know that's exactly what's gonna happen. Like with almost anything Star Wars related, people are going to be pissed when the contents of the set are announced.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Oh yeah, you can already feel the ground rumbling as fanboys get ready to erupt when the specs of the set don't meet every single one of their expectations. It should get really fun around here after the announcement. ;)

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Following the pattern of previous releases, this release is guaranteed to do the following:

A. Make some changes that people would like to see,

B. Change some things that no one ever thought of, that won't make sense to anyone but Lucas,

C. Fix some things that needed to be fixed,

D. Inexplicably leave some very obvious problems alone,

E. And finally, introduce a whole NEW set of problems to be corrected in some future release.

This is the pattern that every previous release has followed, and there is no reason to believe that the "30th Anniversary Editions" will be any different.

Charlie Kaus

Agent
You know I'd really like to see them add the Biggs footage back into the movie. I have cds of the NPR radio plays and the scene instead of slowing it down actually ADDS a new dimension to it. i think that they should add as much deleted/unused footage as possible kind of like what Coppola did with the VHS tapes of the Godfather trilogy/saga. Now THAT is something I'd give a body part for!

Charlie

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Remember this is Lucas. If it doesn't exist, or only exists in a rough print, he'll just have ILM recreate the entire scene for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks