What's new

More Hammer coming from Sony... (1 Viewer)

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
According to DVD Drive In:

"No exact street date has been confirmed, but this Summer, Sony will release a box set of Hammer Films’ costume adventures originally released theatrically by Columbia Pictures. The films in the set include Terence Fisher’s STRANGLERS OF BOMBAY, TERROR OF THE TONGS, PIRATES OF BLOOD RIVER and DEVIL SHIP PIRATES. All films except for STRANGLERS star Christopher Lee. Extras will include three separate commentaries with legendary Hammer screenwriter Jimmy Sangster, as well as some to-be-announced short subjects. More details to follow in the coming months"

Welcome to DVD Drive-In! The Latest Cult Movie DVD Reviews!

Personally, I'm looking forward to STRANGLERS OF BOMBAY, one of the studio's best films. TERROR OF THE TONGS is supposed to be pretty good, according to some Hammer aficionados, but I have never seen it nor the others.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
this is nice, but they're sitting on the good stuff. hopefully they're just holding back on it until the "scary season" of the fall

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Very cool. I've been wanting to see Stranglers of Bombay for years.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Great news! I'll get this just to have STRANGLERS OF BOMBAY. Now, Sony, give us the REALLY good stuff...yep, I'm talkin' 'bout THE GORGON and CASH ON DEMAND, for starters...

A pity Mr. Lee apparently won't be involved with the extras.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It was in that batch of Columbia films which were to be released in the U.K. last year in a deal between Sony and DD Home Entertainment before the latter went into receivership. There's been no news as to whether the company that took over DDHE has revived the deal, and, right now, it looks dead in the water.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
John, Simply Media hold the rights and it is hoped these releases will start to appear in the late Summer /early Autumn. Copyright issues are still being worked out between the various lawyers representing Sony and Simply Media

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
well along with sony i would like to see MGM continue to release its Hammer films, one in paticular, Twins of evil !

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

This is great news even though its hard to believe coming from Sony. Hopefully they get good enough sales on this to convince them to release the rest of the Hammer's that they own. They have most of the remaining inreleased Hammers.

I have never seen Stranglers of Bombay or Devil Ship Pirates so this espcially good news. Terror of the Tongs is pretty good and Pirates of Blood River is very good. Would have been nice if they also included "The Crimson Blade" with Oliver Reed in this set.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a follow-up set with The Gorgon; Curse of the Mummy's Tomb; Two Faces of Dr. Jeckyll; Scream of Fear and Maniac.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
John , regrettably I have just found out that Simply media have handed back the rights to Sony so it is Sony who MAY be releasing these titles later this year. I will have more info soon...

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

TBH, I'm not too distressed; the old DDHE didn't have a reputation for producing particularly high quality transfers, and it was looking like at least some of the Columbia films (including the Boetticher / Scott westerns) in the deal were going to arrive full-frame instead of OAR. Hopefully, they will still arrive in either R1 or R2, and Sony will (if I'm not being too naive) listen to fans who want decent OAR presentations.

I wonder now, though, what will happen to the extras that were prepped and in the can for the two-disc 'Night of The Demon'? Will Sony take those on board now, or will they simply be discarded?

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
I spoke to Marcus Hearn who wrote the booklet and at this time of writing the jury is still out......... any news will be reported on this column

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sony UK have announced September releases for The Camp on Blood Island, The Damned and Yesterday's Enemy. Surely R1 releases cannot be far behind?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks